Sponsored by:

New Audio Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New Audio Upgrade!

So I figured while I was self-quarantined, and WFH, I may as well get an upgrade done to the car.

- Head unit upgrade
- Amplifier
- Sub
- Speakers
- Window tint

Can't wait till she comes back home, completely updated and sounding incredible.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:44 AM
rsinghal3
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds awesome...May I ask where you took the car? I am in the Atlanta area as well. Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:47 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
So I figured while I was self-quarantined, and WFH, I may as well get an upgrade done to the car.

- Head unit upgrade
- Amplifier
- Sub
- Speakers
- Window tint

Can't wait till she comes back home, completely updated and sounding incredible.

Nice!! I am working on detailing the 944 Turbo mostly and some to-dos I have been putting off. Amazing how much DA polishing you can get done on a conference call while on mute! LOL!

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by rsinghal3
Sounds awesome...May I ask where you took the car? I am in the Atlanta area as well. Thanks in advanced.
Car Tunes in Sandy Springs. They are by far the best shop I have ever worked with for this type of work.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by RGS
Nice!! I am working on detailing the 944 Turbo mostly and some to-dos I have been putting off. Amazing how much DA polishing you can get done on a conference call while on mute! LOL!
LOL! My DA is too loud to do that... Once the pollen goes away I am planning on a full DIY paint correction and Ceramic coating, but I only have a carport, so I need to wait a bit.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

I think my car is ready today! Cant wait to hear it. Will post up pics.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

So just found out they his some delays in the car audio project, but here are some pics of the work so far.

New head unit. Kenwood DDX9906XR powered by JL Audio VX700/5i Amp. A back up camera is hardwired in as well.

Front speakers are Focal ES 100 K. They are basically acting as midrange and tweeter, OEM locations with Tweeter in dash, and 4" mid in door. The large 8" door slot reserved for Audison Prima AP 8 Woofer providing the mid-bass.All parts fit where the Bose speakers were, so I am able to keep OEM look.

Finally, a JL Audio 10TW3-D4 will be handling Subwoofer duties. 10 inches with 300W RMS should pressurize the cabin nicely, and JL is known for QUALITY of bass. The box is here being test fit prior to being carpeted for final install.

Thanks for following!
Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Holy shnikies. That is going to bump.

Over these years I have done numerous audio upgrades to my cars. For whatever reason in my 911 i struggle with doing it. I think for me i just love the sound of the car so I can’t justify the commitment level. I may eventually replace the head unit , but the cost to integrate I to my Bose equipment makes me quezzy.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Actually, the small cockpit of the 911 along with a well balanced, quality sound system can create a very pleasing sound field. I have essentially the same set-up as Christian: Pioneer HU, JL amp, the Focals everywhere, but, minus the huge amp box. I really dislike the super-heavy base that a lot of younger drivers enjoy. During my installation, I decided to go with full interior sound deadening to reduce road noise and improve the audio quality. Finally, with an aftermarket valved exhaust, I can rock out during a highway cruise or instantly switch to a wild, Can-Am downshift concert. These cars are the best.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

I agree, but most of those kids have sloppy subwoofers that play 1 frequency loud. This is designed to blend in. The box itself has work to be done to it so it isn’t jus a box sitting there. It should look like a continuous back shelf when done. The sub will be tuned flat with the entire system, which also allows the mid bass, midrange, and tweets a narrower target to hit and more headroom. I can’t wait!

Originally Posted by rwdds
Actually, the small cockpit of the 911 along with a well balanced, quality sound system can create a very pleasing sound field. I have essentially the same set-up as Christian: Pioneer HU, JL amp, the Focals everywhere, but, minus the huge amp box. I really dislike the super-heavy base that a lot of younger drivers enjoy. During my installation, I decided to go with full interior sound deadening to reduce road noise and improve the audio quality. Finally, with an aftermarket valved exhaust, I can rock out during a highway cruise or instantly switch to a wild, Can-Am downshift concert. These cars are the best.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I agree, but most of those kids have sloppy subwoofers that play 1 frequency loud. This is designed to blend in. The box itself has work to be done to it so it isn’t jus a box sitting there. It should look like a continuous back shelf when done. The sub will be tuned flat with the entire system, which also allows the mid bass, midrange, and tweets a narrower target to hit and more headroom. I can’t wait!
Bass, when done correctly is critical for good sound. This should sound very nice when you are finished. I grew up as a teenager with car audio and really miss it. I had (still have in a box in the basement) all high quality Rockford Fosgate Power series amps, subs, mids, tweets etc. Most younger folks just want the loud Blah Blah bass. Yuck. Our rule of thumb was to put the larger wattage amps on the mids and highs to get maximum sound without the amp overworking and causing distortion. Clean tight bass was necessary, but your mids and highs did the talking. It's good to see JL audio still makes good stuff. Their subs were well regarded back then, but their amps didn't sound as good to my ears as Fosgate. This was 20+ years ago though.

I have been out of car audio for a while but a good pre amp was vital to high quality sound. Does your head unit have high pre outs?, If not, you may want to consider a pre amp if they still make such a thing.

I like the Focal's. I sampled a Focal Home stereo system at a home store a while back and was so impressed I bought the speakers and didn't even need them. Very nice high's, impressive.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 AM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nice. Just last week I added a new H/U, backup camera, 500w going to a JL 8”. The PO installed Memphis Audio in the doors and dash. I had Focals in my M3 and loved them. Enjoy!

Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Quick Reply: New Audio Upgrade!