Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this alignment cause a wobbly steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bump steer happens when the car hits a bump and wants to change direction because of the suspension geometry. What you describe with your steering wheel waving back and forth is not that, it's something in the front end that's either out of balance or worn. Have you carefully inspected the tread on the tires from my previous note? The fact that it happens on 2 different sets of wheels and tires says its likely something on the car, and not the wheels or tires.
Sorry, thought I replied about the tires. No cupping found. I'll probably get around to rechecking the control arms tomorrow morning.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Took another peek today, I didn't see any movement in the tie rods but when I did the 3 and 9 o'clock rock I felt a slight clunk. I did some digging with my pry bar and it seemed like that clunk was coming from the ball joint on the driver front control arm. I did a little research and it seems that that ball joint would also cause a creaking noise when turning the wheel, which I had sporadically last summer, but would go away and come back randomly. So I ordered some control arms and new front brakes (too much brake dust on my current setup!) We'll see what happens when I get everything on. Thanks for the help guys! I'll report back when everything is together.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:54 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Realize I never updated this - - in the end, I ended up changing both the driver and passenger side lower control arms. The driver side def had play, but the pass side was questionable. Drove it for a week and it was better, but not perfect. Went back and found the pass inner tie rod had play, so again I replaced both sides, inner and outer tie rods. Everything felt solid in the air and better on the ground. Took it to a porsche specialty shop and got a proper alignment (some of the cars they had there were ridiculous! Apex Autowerks in Clifton nj). Cars been good every since! May still get a road force balance on the tires just to be on the safe side but I just wanted to update the thread! Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Realize I never updated this - - in the end, I ended up changing both the driver and passenger side lower control arms. The driver side def had play, but the pass side was questionable. Drove it for a week and it was better, but not perfect. Went back and found the pass inner tie rod had play, so again I replaced both sides, inner and outer tie rods. Everything felt solid in the air and better on the ground. Took it to a porsche specialty shop and got a proper alignment (some of the cars they had there were ridiculous! Apex Autowerks in Clifton nj). Cars been good every since! May still get a road force balance on the tires just to be on the safe side but I just wanted to update the thread! Thanks for the help guys!
Good for you. So in the end you think it was the tie rods/or control arms? If you get it road force balanced make sure they do it right, taking the tire off and offsetting high/low spots and try to get it to 0 tolerance if possible. Sometimes even with the high end places they rush through this, so you may almost want to stand there and watch the tech go through the process rather than just slap it on the machine and throw some weights on it. Cars now a days are super sensitive to out of even slightly out of balance, slight flat spots, bent rims etc. Also try dropping/playing with your air pressure a little if possible, that sometimes will help.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Good for you. So in the end you think it was the tie rods/or control arms? If you get it road force balanced make sure they do it right, taking the tire off and offsetting high/low spots and try to get it to 0 tolerance if possible. Sometimes even with the high end places they rush through this, so you may almost want to stand there and watch the tech go through the process rather than just slap it on the machine and throw some weights on it. Cars now a days are super sensitive to out of even slightly out of balance, slight flat spots, bent rims etc. Also try dropping/playing with your air pressure a little if possible, that sometimes will help.
Yes, seems like a combo of the driver control arm and passenger inner tie rod did the trick. Just replaced everything the be OCD! And good tip on the balancing, I'll make sure I verify it's done correctly.

Quick Reply: Would this alignment cause a wobbly steering wheel?