Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Don’t worry about the car. You will be the limiting factor at this point. I am still the limiting factor if brake wear is any indication...

Basics:
- spare bottle of oil for topping off
- fresh brake fluid flush (ate type 200 more than sufficient)
- sufficient tire tread
- sufficient brake pad
- stuff to clean off windshield
- torque wrench for lug nuts
- tire pressure gauge
- wheel chock to keep car in place in paddock without using parking brake

for you
- sunscreen
- lots of water to stay hydrated
- thin soled shoes for driving
- tote box to hold all your loose items in the paddock while your car is out on track. Find one that fits all your stuff while also being able to fit in the frunk.

Your PCA probably requires a tech inspection form to be filled out by a mechanic so that covers all the car prep you need.

pay attention to where the corner workers are and any flags

Learn the line, get a feel for braking point and turn in points/track out points.

warm up car, tires, and your brain for a lap before getting on it.
cool down brakes on last lap/afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (05-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:54 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Just be smooth an have fun. Listen to your instructors and you'll get quicker with experience.
Don't worry about tire pressures too much. You can go out the first session and see what happens.
The phone apps at this point will just be a distraction. Just lean the line and where all the worker stations are
and what all the flags mean. Speed will come in due time. If you tunnel vision on going fast you will not improve as much.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:09 PM
neun und drei
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bschurr
HPDE is an amazing experience

Beware of these guys!
I was going to post this video hahaha

Get out there, listen to the instructors, and have some fun!
The following users liked this post:
bschurr (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

I believe you meant to say an Agreed Value Policy. Big difference!

Originally Posted by linderpat
Track insurance is a must. Your regular coverage will not cover you, and even if you "take it easy" someone else who isn't doing so may crash into you (very rare BTW). Anyway, both Haggerty and Lockton have good track insurance. Get a stated value policy. It isn't expensive.

I ran Mid-O last year for the first time - it was a tremendous experience - that track is incredible. I run in the more advanced groups (Group A at some tracks, Group B at others). You won't run anywhere near the limits, but by all means, do not be whimpy either - push the car, push yourself. You will be richly rewarded. You really can't hurt the car by tracking it. Make sure your tires are in decent shape, and as roadie said, have new brake fluid - hi-temp stuff, and make sure your pads are good.

Have fun and share pictures after you do it.

PS - do bring a tire guage and measure pressures after each run - keep on the low side. Also a torque wrench and socket and at mid-day, recheck torque on all lugs, and again before your final run. Windex for the windshield and paper towels.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

For my track days, I have a clear plastic storage bin (similar to this) from Target that fits in my frunk. I load up it up with small misc parts (wheel chocks, brake pads, oil, brake fluid, coolant, tire pressure gauge, painter's tape, rags, cleaners, degreaser, extra set of clothing, hiking hat, under armor clothing, socks, slip on shoes for the drive home, water bottles, snacks, sunscreen, and basic tools (3/8 and 1/2 ratchet, breaker bar, torque wrench, screw drivers, socket set), portable fan and a portable air compressor.\

Check the clearance first and don't overstuff it because it will dent.

I took out the back seats and brought a canopy (the tracks near me are in the desert), a small fold-able table and chairs, my small mini jack and a felt mat to lay down if I need to wrench. It may sound like overkill but from my moto racing days, it's always good to prepared because you never know, sh*t happens.

Chock your wheels you pit, don't use your e-brake, you may or may not need to use a fan to cool your engine. At Chuckwalla, it gets into the triple digits.

Create a checklist, take your time in prepping your car, get to the track the day before to settle your nerves because you won't sleep that well the night of your first track day. Double check everything. There has been instances where guys hauled their car or moto on a trailer, packed up all of their stuff and FORGOT THEIR KEYS. Nothing ends your day sooner then that.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 02-26-2020 at 09:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DesmoSD:
93Jaffe (02-28-2020), pop.tremuloides (05-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Thank you for the advice. I plan not to stress the car, or myself, too much at my first event but still plan on having coverage. I assume most people opt for track insurance?

I will be going to MORPCA Mid-Ohio Raceway in April. I went to an Indy race at Mid-Ohio last year and I am very excited to drive it myself.
Mid-Ohio is a great venue! I have done countless laps of MO and instruct with lots of different PCA groups although haven’t instructed with MORPCA. I am sure they put on a great event like all the other PCA regions though.

Listen to your instructor and you will have an awesome time. One thing with Mid-Ohio though is it is the single worst track in the wet. I can’t describe how slick the track can get. Typically I give students the option to not go out in the rain and encourage they don’t if it is just a matter of waiting a bit until it drys.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Carrera De Lune
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

de

Last edited by Carrera De Lune; 04-27-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:20 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera De Lune
There is no HPDE worth attending unless you plan to win first place!
Exactly! Especially because the prize money is life altering

Quick Reply: First HPDE Advice