Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lubro Moly MoS2 - Has been doing great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Lubro Moly MoS2 - Has been doing great!

I know additives are considered snake oil for the most part, however, I added MoS2 to my engine sometime after the last oil change... and at least seat of the pants and anecdotally it has been quite fantastic for my engine. One noticeable improvement I feel is that way the engine revs freely and hasn't lost performance in street driving like it used to have in the past. For years my car would get very sluggish after a cpl of months of purely street driving and I had to go on a road trip, some full throttle and high speed driving to put the performance back which lasted 3-4 weeks. However, after adding M0S2 for some reason, the car hasn't lost performance as much as it used to eventhough I've been driving it in stop-and-go for a cpl of months. Could be placebo, or other factors, but so far so good! Also, the engine seems to run smoother somehow!

Anyone else has had similar experience?
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I know additives are considered snake oil for the most part, however, I added MoS2 to my engine sometime after the last oil change... and at least seat of the pants and anecdotally it has been quite fantastic for my engine. One noticeable improvement I feel is that way the engine revs freely and hasn't lost performance in street driving like it used to have in the past. For years my car would get very sluggish after a cpl of months of purely street driving and I had to go on a road trip, some full throttle and high speed driving to put the performance back which lasted 3-4 weeks. However, after adding M0S2 for some reason, the car hasn't lost performance as much as it used to eventhough I've been driving it in stop-and-go for a cpl of months. Could be placebo, or other factors, but so far so good! Also, the engine seems to run smoother somehow!

Anyone else has had similar experience?
I would agree with this based on my experience.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

I have put a bottle of this stuff in my daily driver Audi, but am hesitant to put it in my 997. I’m by no means any sort of expert here, and so just tried to read up on this, and from what I’ve read, there’s already some moly added in oils such as Mobil 1, and that adding too much can upset the balance of the additive pack in such oils - remember that oil is formulated not just for lubrication, but also for detergent, cleaning properties, viscosity maintenance, and suspending contaminants until the next oil change.

That, and the fact that Porsche says not to add any additives to their recommended oil and that I’ve seen people go over 300k miles on M1 0W-40 alone (albeit that was a Boxster engine), and I’m sticking to A40 approved oil only for now. That, and I have a third party warranty and I want to be able to prove that I didn’t veer away from what Porsche recommends to be put in their engines. Also see thread below. I’ve seen other threads like this although not Porsche specific. MoS2 also is not included at all in Motul 8100 Xcess oil, even though it is considered a good quality oil.

In my experience with it in my Audi, I don’t feel it has smoothed out the engine. In fact, after my recent oil change at my dealer without it, the engine feels smoother again. All in my mind? Maybe. But I’m not that impressed. By all means though, if you choose to use it, please keep us posted as to how many miles your engine lasts. Who knows...it may be good stuff.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/965992
Old 02-21-2020, 04:35 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I have put a bottle of this stuff in my daily driver Audi, but am hesitant to put it in my 997. I’m by no means any sort of expert here, and so just tried to read up on this, and from what I’ve read, there’s already some moly added in oils such as Mobil 1, and that adding too much can upset the balance of the additive pack in such oils - remember that oil is formulated not just for lubrication, but also for detergent, cleaning properties, viscosity maintenance, and suspending contaminants until the next oil change.

That, and the fact that Porsche says not to add any additives to their recommended oil and that I’ve seen people go over 300k miles on M1 0W-40 alone (albeit that was a Boxster engine), and I’m sticking to A40 approved oil only for now. That, and I have a third party warranty and I want to be able to prove that I didn’t veer away from what Porsche recommends to be put in their engines. Also see thread below. I’ve seen other threads like this although not Porsche specific. MoS2 also is not included at all in Motul 8100 Xcess oil, even though it is considered a good quality oil.

In my experience with it in my Audi, I don’t feel it has smoothed out the engine. In fact, after my recent oil change at my dealer without it, the engine feels smoother again. All in my mind? Maybe. But I’m not that impressed. By all means though, if you choose to use it, please keep us posted as to how many miles your engine lasts. Who knows...it may be good stuff.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/965992
Who are you using for your third party warranty? I'm thinking about getting one. Also, are you allowed to do your own oil changes/maintenance?
Old 02-21-2020, 04:39 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joshb217
Who are you using for your third party warranty? I'm thinking about getting one. Also, are you allowed to do your own oil changes/maintenance?
I use Fidelity. As long as you document it (keep receipts, etc), I don’t see why not.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:44 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I use Fidelity. As long as you document it (keep receipts, etc), I don’t see why not.
Thanks, I will check them out. I got a quote from LaSalle today. Is this in line with what you paid? Covers the main stuff. There is another option for bumper to bumper which is $1000 more per option.

$500.00 Deductible
1 Year/18,000 Additional Miles- $2,898.00
2 Year/36,000 Additional Miles- $3,573.00
3 Year/54,000 Additional Miles- $4,348.00
4 Year/72,000 Additional Miles- $4,950.00
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is in line, although mine’s prob a little less for the 3 yr. I would check with Lasalle on your question about self maintenance to be sure though. I hear Jake Raby only works with Lasalle, so I think your choice is fine.

Originally Posted by joshb217
Thanks, I will check them out. I got a quote from LaSalle today. Is this in line with what you paid? Covers the main stuff. There is another option for bumper to bumper which is $1000 more per option.

$500.00 Deductible
1 Year/18,000 Additional Miles- $2,898.00
2 Year/36,000 Additional Miles- $3,573.00
3 Year/54,000 Additional Miles- $4,348.00
4 Year/72,000 Additional Miles- $4,950.00
Old 02-21-2020, 04:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Nice! I'm going to add that for my next oil change!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I used it for my last oil change. I do feel like it comes to a more immediate smooth idle just at cold start-up, slightly quieter the first several seconds anyway. After that, the same. Significant, who knows.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

2009 C2S 152K miles

I put in MoS2, then Ceratec, Last two changes I switched to Motul oil after 20 years of Mobil 1. And the result?.... wait for it.... gonna be great..... honest.... here goes: I can't tell a damn difference.

Why did I do it? Purely for entertainment.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
kru911 (02-23-2020), ManoTexas (02-22-2020), Presto (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I used Mos2 in my 997.2 and my wife's Sienna at last oil change and both seem to idle and start as if they are more lubricated than before (based on tone and sound level). The difference seems more noticeable in mine but maybe that's because mine is 7 yrs older. Got 4 more bottles of the stuff and I'll be running UOA on my car so we'll see what happens over 3 changes with it.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 152K miles

I put in MoS2, then Ceratec, Last two changes I switched to Motul oil after 20 years of Mobil 1. And the result?.... wait for it.... gonna be great..... honest.... here goes: I can't tell a damn difference.

Why did I do it? Purely for entertainment.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I've been mostly on 8100, but I've also used Mobil 1 and no you can't tell the difference. However, MoS2 has made me feel a difference which is interesting.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mujeriega
I used Mos2 in my 997.2 and my wife's Sienna at last oil change and both seem to idle and start as if they are more lubricated than before (based on tone and sound level). The difference seems more noticeable in mine but maybe that's because mine is 7 yrs older. Got 4 more bottles of the stuff and I'll be running UOA on my car so we'll see what happens over 3 changes with it.
I added it to both mine and wife's car. I did NOT notice much difference on her VW Tiguan, but did notice the difference on mine. Now, that could be as you feel more in the Porsche but for now, it's only noticeable in my car.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:01 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a bottle of Mos2 that I’m waiting to add when the car come out of hibernation. I did not want to add it right after my last oil change and before it sat.

My car is filled with liqui moly, so i feel good about the additive package and the Mos2 working together.

Quick Reply: Lubro Moly MoS2 - Has been doing great!