Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I think I've seen people with Fidelity Warranty's with an over 10 year old car.

I think...

Anybody???
The following users liked this post:
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Drksaint
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Everyone’s risk tolerance is different, but I have no reservations about having a pdk and I have had 6 cars with pdk, not counting a couple I flipped, since 2011, put a ton of miles on them, tracked them, abused them and never had any problems with them. My local Independent shop has only seen 1 failure in a Oanamera and the local dealership said he saw a 991.1 failure only. A couple guys I know that have been service managers for 20 plus years have seen a grand total of 1 997 pdk failure between the both of them.

All of the above told me not to purchase a NA 997.1 so it’s not like they will just sing praises because it a Porsche and they work for Porsche.

Time will tell more, but I think they are a very robust transmission and transmission failure in other high end sports cars happen at perhaps a similar rate.

People do seek out sites like these when they experience such a failure so not surprising we hear about them from time to time.
Thank you for commenting. This definitely makes me feel a little better.

I’m not looking for a reason to get rid of this car. My 997.2 is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. I’m looking for reasons to keep it. If you guys told me I can do a new PDK for $10-$12k...I’d say I’m keeping it. But $20k+ is a little crazy considering the overall car value.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 PM
Drksaint
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I think I've seen people with Fidelity Warranty's with an over 10 year old car.

I think...

Anybody???
They may have bought a warranty in their 8th or 9th year...so a 5 year warranty would run past 10 years. Dealer told me I just missed the 10 year mark.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Drksaint
After reading through a few threads on here regarding catastrophic PDK failure, and the cost to repair at somewhere between $18k and $24k, I listed my car for sale here (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1175421). I have a 2009 997.2 PDK in mint condition. Runs perfectly.

But I have no warranty. And as random as PDK failure is (and the chances of failure very low), I really don't want to risk a $20k+ repair bill. I can see spending that on a car valued over $100k...but not one worth less than half that.

Am I overreacting? I do love this car. Thinking of replacing it with a Lotus Exige or a manual 997.2.
In looking at the listing for your car, I think the action you're taking in selling it is a gross overreaction. Plus, the price you have it listed at is ridiculously low for the equipment, miles, and condition in my opinion. Rather than taking a significant real loss in value on the sale of the car, I would look to invest what that loss would amount to in a Fidelity Warranty for the car. I did just last month on an '09 Carrera S Cabriolet. It was expensive (Platinum 6yr / 60k $250 deductible). My car has 25k miles. I have no worries about a transmission failure or any other major failure.

Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I purchased a Fidelity power train warranty for $2k on a couple of 996.2s with pdks and never used it for anything. $4k wasted INO.
Do you mean 997.2?

2009 997.2 introduced the pdk
Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Drksaint
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ironman88
In looking at the listing for your car, I think the action you're taking in selling it is a gross overreaction. Plus, the price you have it listed at is ridiculously low for the equipment, miles, and condition in my opinion. Rather than taking a significant real loss in value on the sale of the car, I would look to invest what that loss would amount to in a Fidelity Warranty for the car. I did just last month on an '09 Carrera S Cabriolet. It was expensive (Platinum 6yr / 60k $250 deductible). My car has 25k miles. I have no worries about a transmission failure or any other major failure.
Can you PM me your dealer info? I know you can purchase a Fidelity warranty from any dealer. I would definitely purchase the Platinum warranty...just for piece of mind. Thank you for commenting.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Just like ims and for the bmw e92 m3 rod bearings. If you read m3 forum people are buying the e92 m3 and having the car directly towed hundreds of miles to shops to put in rod bearings. They are that scared. I did some research 65,000 s65 engines made. Close to 650 failed about 6,000 sets of rod bearing sold. Some have been done several times on certain cars some are still in parts bins. Typical owners and bmw don’t think or know there is problem. Go look at the forums and it’s 6 out of 10 threads talking about rod bearings. Companies make money from this hysteria and enthusiast are obsessive so it’s a recipe for disaster
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I’m not looking for a reason to get rid of this car. My 997.2 is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. I’m looking for reasons to keep it. If you guys told me I can do a new PDK for $10-$12k...I’d say I’m keeping it. But $20k+ is a little crazy considering the overall car value.

You can’t really look at it that way, it was a $100K car new, the repair costs typically don’t adjust with depreciation.

I think you are overreacting significantly and as others have said a Lotus isn’t great in the reliability department.

Bottom line, sports cars of this caliber are not cheap to own, which is why not everyone owns one. I was looking at a Ferrari 355 with 33K miles on it just for **** the other day and it had a “full engine out engine refresh” for $45K. The seller made it a point like it is a common thing that needed done.

just drive the car, enjoy it and don’t worry about it
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey if the OP wants to switch to a manual and replace his clutch every 30-50k I say go for it!! Manuals are pretty fun too! Except in bumper to bumper traffic. Or on short trips. Or in most cities. Haha!! I’m just playing! I drove a manual for the last 6 years, so the PDK seems wonderful to me.

But if the OP needs peace of mind - that’s ok. Get a manual and enjoy your forthcoming 911!! Getting a new car is always fun!
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

They may have bought a warranty in their 8th or 9th year...so a 5 year warranty would run past 10 years. Dealer told me I just missed the 10 year mark.

Maybe.. It would have been close though...

As for my purchase of my 6yr. / 60K mile Fidelity Platinum Warrarty, it has made me worry WAY less about owning my 997.2 TTS.
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Wow...Not sure how you killed 3 Toyota Aisin transmissions and an engine....Toyota transmissions (and engines) are bullet proof. Agreed the 997.2 is probably more reliable, overall, as an Exige has known issues with AC, power windows....smaller inexpensive issues. The biggest issue I’ve heard is the clutch (farely common) which runs about $6k-$7k to replace....and only because the entire top of the car has to be removed. Engine and transmission actually have excellent reliability and are much easier to source and work on, if needed, than a PDK.

Not bullet proof. 2nd gear synchros were a very common problem with the Elise transmissions. It would grind on the upshift into second and eventually need to be replaced. There was no fix.

The Elise transmission back then was $18k to replace. The engine was $25k. Mine threw a rod through the block while driving down the Interstate. I was accelerating close to the redline when it let go. The regular Toyato version of the transmission actually would not mate up with the Elise engine. I looked into that when I thought they were going to deny one of my engine warranty claims. I saw a few later than the transmissions were cheaper.
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

You can do a replacement for that amount if you installed a used PDK from a dismantler. Also, Porsche dealerships can replace the transmission control unit, valve body, or the internal temp sensor provided they are motivated to actually figure out the problem rather than just going right to claiming you need a new PDK. Indys can do this too and these parts are available from Porsche and dismantlers. The problem is that the dealerships aren't motivated to do this, the techs are poorly trained, and just perform a few expensive part swaps. If that doesn't fix it they go right to "replace PDK". There is no critical thinking or true thoughtful troubleshooting. I have copies of the factory PDK troubleshooting documents provided to the dealers and they are a joke. As an example, the official guidance for a minor gear oil leak from a bad connector o-ring is "replace PDK". It truly is ridiculous.

If you are really worried about this read my sticky on repairing a PDK transmission. You'll know more than 95% of the dealership service personnel and will be in a better position to evaluate the risk.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
Big Swole (01-07-2020), Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgoetz
You can’t really look at it that way, it was a $100K car new, the repair costs typically don’t adjust with depreciation.

I think you are overreacting significantly and as others have said a Lotus isn’t great in the reliability department.

Bottom line, sports cars of this caliber are not cheap to own, which is why not everyone owns one. I was looking at a Ferrari 355 with 33K miles on it just for **** the other day and it had a “full engine out engine refresh” for $45K. The seller made it a point like it is a common thing that needed done.

just drive the car, enjoy it and don’t worry about it
I used to spend on average $10,000 to $17,000 for major services and those “while we are in theres” on my 355s and 360s. Upkeep was very costly to do it correctly. This was 15 plus years ago. No idea what it costs now. The 430s and later were much better/cheaper to maintain than the older timing belt cars. My 458s have been pretty reliable and relatively ssimpl and cheap to maintain.
Drksaint (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Wow. So you found the only 996.2’s in the world with PDK. What’s your secret?
lol, typing in iPhone. I sound like the biggest regard and I usually edit several times!!!!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Surprised you haven't sold it already.
Drksaint (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Am I overreacting?