Sponsored by:

Winter Tires -1

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 PM
RKM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires -1

Hello everyone. As the minnesota winter rolls into full effect I am looking to get a set of winter tires and wheels. I have read multiple places to get a set of tires and hweel that are -1 inch as to have more tire for ride/ice/potholes and have been looking into what to get. I have an 08' C2S. I was hoping to gain some insight from anyone who might have gone though this already. There a nice set of Turbo Twist after markets on TireRack for under 1,000 bucks that are 18s and have TPMS. The off sets are slightly differant at +54mm For the front and +58 For the back. Also wondering if I need to get a higher treadwall via custom order and not just what fits on the 18s if I do -1. Thanks for any hope you might have.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Dude! A bit late on the draw here. Nevertheless, I would suggest eBay for wheels - I got a set of 18" wheels off of a base Carrera for $400. Obviously, YMMV. For TPMS I, after good reviews from others on RL, went with TPMS 24/7 - they were great, prompt delivery, no sync issues. The only tires I could find in the original sizes for the 18" wheels (235 up front and 265 in rear in correct aspect ratio, which I believe is 40) were the Pirelli Sottozero. Thus far only had them in an inch of snow and were fine, but that's not much of a test.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RKM
Hello everyone. As the minnesota winter rolls into full effect I am looking to get a set of winter tires and wheels. I have read multiple places to get a set of tires and hweel that are -1 inch as to have more tire for ride/ice/potholes and have been looking into what to get. I have an 08' C2S. I was hoping to gain some insight from anyone who might have gone though this already. There a nice set of Turbo Twist after markets on TireRack for under 1,000 bucks that are 18s and have TPMS. The off sets are slightly differant at +54mm For the front and +58 For the back. Also wondering if I need to get a higher treadwall via custom order and not just what fits on the 18s if I do -1. Thanks for any hope you might have.
By far, the BEST winter wheels is an OEM 18inch set (from Carrera base cars) off Rennlist, eBay or Craigslist. I got a set a few years ago for my winters, and haven't been happier. They're still Porsche wheels, FIT perfect, look right, are not made in China, heavy or terribly balanced, etc... That would be my choice.

PS. Find you the right wheels, here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1161813 - I have the exact same wheels, fantastic for winter and they still look good!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:38 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
By far, the BEST winter wheels is an OEM 18inch set (from Carrera base cars) off Rennlist, eBay or Craigslist. I got a set a few years ago for my winters, and haven't been happier. They're still Porsche wheels, FIT perfect, look right, are not made in China, heavy or terribly balanced, etc... That would be my choice.

PS. Find you the right wheels, here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1161813 - I have the exact same wheels, fantastic for winter and they still look good!
Yes - quite right - same set I have. Little high on the ask for these imho.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Given that they’re your winter set, you’re probably not going to track them. Just buy a set from a reputed seller and you should be fine - forums here, tirerack, some sponsors here etc. I’ve bought multiple aftermarket wheels from TireRack and am pleased. If you also buy tires, they’ll mount them and ship to you.

For my 05 C2 I went with 18” wheels - Starke SC18 (2010 cayman fitment) and for the wet winter here I currently run re980as. For MN you should run proper winter tires - Pirelli is very good I’ve heard.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:07 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Yes - quite right - same set I have. Little high on the ask for these imho.
Yeah, he should offer $1000 plus shipping or so, that's the going rate. But the right wheels.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

For rims, I do not recommend Tire Rack... a buddy purchased winter tire/rim package from them for his BMW 5 series and the rims bent... too soft... weak for the weight of the car. Local wheel / tire place said they see it all the time from Tire Rack. I recommend buying used Porsche OEM rims from a wheel place, many on-line stores have used "take offs". I did. I get my rims from Sports Car Tire in Wilmington Delaware... Big in the BMW and Porsche community... big warehouse of take offs and will do a tire/rim package and ship to you. Call them, they don't keep their website inventory up to date: https://sportscartire.com/

For tires, I recommend Michelin Alpins. Best all around winter tire out there IMO. Regarding size, just stick to the sizes in your owner's manual and don't over think it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-19-2019, 12:45 PM
993.Coupe
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Hopefully not hijacking the thread; I am looking for 18" wheels as well for my 997.2 C2, I have the 5 spoke 19" and like the look so I would like to get the similar style Carrera III's but having difficulty finding the right specs. Owners manual states:

Front:
8x18 with 57mm offset
Rear:
10.5x18 with 60mm offset

Are those specific wheels tough to find?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Winter Tires -1