Sponsored by:

Backup cameras

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 05:34 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Backup cameras

Does anyone have anything to say about the Type S Solar Powered HD Quick-Connect Wireless Backup Camera https://typesauto.com/products/solar...with-5-monitor? While I'd like to have one that integrated into my PCM, I'd rather not have to spend many hundreds of dollars (if not >$1,000)— OK, I'm cheap.
My questions are:
1) does the solar battery charge enough for the camerawomen to work at night (need sometime for backing out of my garage into a dark street)
2) could you have it running all the time (as an extra rear view camera)?
3) any other comments about this type of backup camera?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:42 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

I got this one. https://quickvucams.com
My main requirements were no wires and/or tapping into electronics, no holes in car, or replacing PCM. Yes it can be done with no issues, and I’ve wired stuff into multiple bikes and cars, but on the P I just can’t bring myself to do it. Best prob to replace PCM with modern tech and install back up cam, but decided against it. Looked at ones that connect to cell phone but none seemed to work very well.
I took flat alum bracket and mounted camera right below plate using bottom plate holes. Cut bracket so can’t see it behind cam, and put protection to keep screws from rubbing on paint behind the license plate holder. Not allowed to cover any part of TX plate, could prob mount over plate and not cover much but don’t want to give cop reason to pull me over for piddling stuff (sort of stupid to say that when I don’t have front plate which is req’d lol).
I’ve had for approx 4 months and cam battery still going. Figure when replace battery will use blue loctite to make sure screws don’t back out from plastic holder. I use it approx 4-6 times/wk. Be interesting to see how long it goes at that rate. Image is good and monitor connects quickly. I got primarily for backing out of airport garage space, it does give some visibility sideways of cars coming before you can see them without cam, and in the older DFW terminals that are really tight it really helps backing up. Button to turn on is on back, be much better if was on front.
Have two plug outlet in passenger footwell so can do monitor and cell phone. Initially put on cd slot magnet phone holder, but that screwed up where I put phone, plus looked odd to me. Got alum bracket and slipped it between console and dash and trying for now. Not as convenient or easy to see, so may move again. PIA I admit. Believe long term prob best to replace PCM however. If don’t replace PCM, I like this one, not perfect due to mounting monitor somewhere but works good.

display works great mounted here

still don’t like this mounting spot
Old 12-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I installed a wireless backup camera with viewer in mirror. (like these)
No wires to run from rear of car.
Camera is powered from back up lights. ( when reverse engaged lights are powered and so is the camera)
Mirror clips on over existing mirror and gets power from fuse box with cable running along top of windshield and hidden from view.
Cost around $100.00 easy install. Available on Amazon and E-Bay.
Can post pictures of install.
Good clear picture if proper placement of transmitter so no interference from engine.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:55 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Show the pictures. Curious!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joehatz
Camera is powered from back up lights. ( when reverse engaged lights are powered and so is the camera)
Mirror clips on over existing mirror and gets power from fuse box with cable running along top of windshield and hidden from view.
Good clear picture if proper placement of transmitter so no interference from engine.

Hi Joehatz-
I'm interested in installing backup camera.. What's the make & model of the unit you installed? Can you put a link from amazon please?

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Joehatz

I am guessing this only works if you already have the auto-dimming mirror option and its probably much less straight forward (and expensive) if you don't. Do you know if you can also install a 2nd camera in the front?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:24 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Replaces existing rear view mirror it appears.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Here Is the Link to Wireless Backup Cameras on Amazon
Amazon Amazon
You can also find them on E-Bay.
They do Not replace the existing Mirror but clip over it.
The first thing to do when installing Is mount the Camera on the License Plate.

Next feed the wires from the Camera into the Engine compartment.(if you remove the license plate holder there should be a hole to feed the wires through)
You may have to remove the Air Box to get enough room to work. It Is different depending on which model your car Is, there are lots of tutorials on how to do this.

Next you will have to remove one of the tail lights and feed the Positive and Negative wire from the camera into the tail light section.
You will need a test light or volt meter to find which wire Is powered when reverse Is engaged and the back up lights come on.
Splice the positive wire into the feed for the backup lights.

Next drill a small hole and ground the negative wire to the body. (scrape paint away to make good contact)

Now connect the other wires from the Camera to the transmitter and mount it some where in the engine bay (you may have to move it around till you get good reception)
I used sticky backed Velcro to mount mine.

If you want to check that it works before moving to the next step.
Put a 12volt supply to the mirror and turn on the ignition and put the car in reverse. You should get a picture in the mirror.
Now mount the mirror over the existing mirror with the supplied rubber straps.

Now run the power wire from the camera under the trim at the top of the windshield and down the pillar tucking the wire behind the trim
then along the dash and under the rubber at the door and down to the fuse panel.

Check for a feed and connect to one that only Is live when the ignition Is on.
You can buy an add-a-circuit fuse tap adapter at most Automotive Stores.

Pictures of the Camera when on. Most also have night lights so you can see behind you in the dark

Hope this was helpful.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:25 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is very helpful!! I'm going to give a shot.

Quick Reply: Backup cameras