Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car "stuck" after parked overnight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:38 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default car "stuck" after parked overnight?

This occur to my 2012 997.2 PDK c2s occasionally, looking to see if this is normal / if this is something I should worry about.

Sometimes after I park the car for a while (at least overnight. haven't seen this happen intra-day yet), when I start the car, e-brake off, and give it a tiny bit of gas to get the car to a rolling start, the car wouldn't budge. I can hear/feel the engine is responding to the throttle but the car just wouldn't move. Then I'd give it a little more more gas, the car would then "break loose" with a loud clunk and jerk from the rear... Feel like something along the drive train was stuck / broke loose would be my best way to describe it...

This doesn't happen every day, but had been happening at least a handful of times since I have the car from the summer. I'm going to start to pay more attention / document its occurrence to try to understand what's going on. Since I haven't been documenting I'm not entirely sure yet but I vaguely feel like it tends to happen after I drove the car in rain... Maybe the temporary rotor rust stuck the rotors to the pads? Also another thing is I always feel like after I drove the car there is some sort of burning smell coming from the rear... Makes me suspect if the pad is constantly dragging on the rotor or something? If it is, maybe it would explain both the smell and the "clunky / sticky start"?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Sounds to me like your rear parking brake isn't releasing. When you lower the parking brake handle, does it feel like it is under tension (it wants to go down) or does it feel somewhat loose or floppy?

The burning smell sounds like the shoes rubbing against the internal drum.

Do you live in an area where there is salt on the roads or a lot of rain? The mechanism could be rusted up and is occasionally sticking.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Rotor rust most likely. Try skipping the parking brake altogether. Not sure why it’s even necessary to use it w PDK. Frankly I’m not sure mine is even connected!!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds exactly like what happens after I wash my car and rotors flash surface rust. Also, the burning smell is normal for these cars once they get up to temperature. My 997 before and now my Cayman both have this smell when parked after a long drive.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Parking brake doesn't use the rotors or calipers. The parking brake is a traditional drum brake setup inside the drum of the rear rotor. There are springs that retract the shoes when the brake handle is down.

I suspect there is rust in the cable (most likely) or mechanism that is freezing this drum brake mechanism to the point where the retracting springs can't overcome it and the shoes.are still in contact with the drum as you drive.

It is also possible that something is broken inside the mechanism but you would almost.certainly hear some noise from the rear brakes if that were the case, as loose parts would rattle around back there.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM
grey2011s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 11 pdk car does that as well, minus the clunk. just seems to take a bit of gas to get it to move first thing in the morning.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:11 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Parking brake doesn't use the rotors or calipers. The parking brake is a traditional drum brake setup inside the drum of the rear rotor. There are springs that retract the shoes when the brake handle is down.

I suspect there is rust in the cable (most likely) or mechanism that is freezing this drum brake mechanism to the point where the retracting springs can't overcome it and the shoes.are still in contact with the drum as you drive.

It is also possible that something is broken inside the mechanism but you would almost.certainly hear some noise from the rear brakes if that were the case, as loose parts would rattle around back there.
I should have mentioned that this happen even when the parking brake is complete disengaged (when i park in my garage, which is completely flat i doesn't use the parking brake at all). I'm not entirely familiar with the e-brake mechanism - if it is the e-brake like you described, you think it would happen if the parking brake is complete disengaged ("completely disengaged" in the sense the the e-brake handle is all the way down, idk if it's possible that a malfunctioning brake would still be applying if the level is all the way down).

And actually related to the e-brake, if anything, I think it's on the loose side. When I do use it (parked on slope) I feel like really need to pull hard so that it engage enough that the car won't roll...

Regarding to where I live - I'm in NY, the car was previously Omaha / mid west before I bought it this summer...
Old 12-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

If the e-brake handle has no tension until you really pull hard on it, then your issue is almost certainly related.to the e-brake and the cable or mechanism is sticking.

If you don't feel good about pulling the wheels and rotors and checking it out, just take it to your dealer or a competent shop. They should be able to get things freed up and.working again. There's nothing sophisticated or special about that system.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

You have to pull the parking brake like the Hulk would - that’s normal - to really engage it.

If you get some lockup in the garage that’s normal too if it’s damp or you just pulled in from the rain. Bottom line is if there’s no visible rust on the rotors from overnight and you still get the breaking free issue, then there’s another issue going on.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Again, the rotor surface has nothing to do with the parking brake. The parking brake doesn't clamp on the rotor. That's not how it works at all.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:36 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

The ebrake is drum style on the 911 on the inside of the rotor.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:39 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Again, the rotor surface has nothing to do with the parking brake. The parking brake doesn't clamp on the rotor. That's not how it works at all.
Yeah I think we all know how the parking brake works.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 876 Posts

2009 C2S 148K miles.

Tip: After washing my car, I drive it back and forth on my driveway and drag the brakes... wipes 'em and maybe some heat. Then next day (or after a rain), if I feel the stick, I press my brake pedal really hard... that seems to crush the rust bond and allows for a less dramatic release.

BTW, these emergency brakes are not "e"... they are old fashioned cables activated by arm muscles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-10-2019, 02:07 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Mine does the same thing so does my Tesla Model X rotors flash surface rust from sitting ... Both my electronic and manual brakes do this ...No big deal ...
Old 12-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike cap
Yeah I think we all know how the parking brake works.
...and yet you talk about the rotors like they have something to do with the parking brake.

The OP has an obvious sticking parking brake, he smells hot brakes after he drives and he has to pull up the handle very far for the parking brake handle to engage. It's probably not a big deal, it's easily fixable, but none of those symptoms is normal.

But the OP is free to take any advice he chooses.

Quick Reply: car "stuck" after parked overnight?