Question while prepping for Numeric cables

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Question while prepping for Numeric cables

09 C2S

So it getting cold here in NY and I have a tight garage. I'm heading to a friend's warehouse to do all the interior removal work. Don't want to over stay my welcome so I'm then setting up in my space for the undercarriage work. While under there I will change the MT oil and perform a brake/clutch fluid flush.

My question is, will driving the car with the console out and all the associated wires disconnected, create any unanticipated situation? Such as warning lights that will not resolve themselves with out the dealer's involvement etc.

Also, any pointers on these procedures. I've read and watched everything I can find on the subject.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No real tips, but good luck. It is not a fun job, but the results are worth it.
Take your time with the electrical connections and be sure you know how they go back together.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

You will get an airbag light without the center console. I believe the passenger airbag light on the console is monitored.

I can't remember if it requires Durametric /ICarScan / ICarSoftbor similar to reset or whether you just plug it back together.

Otherwise, there are no issues driving without the console.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM
Xios
Instructor

Thanks for the responses.

Achieved my goal for the day. Console is out, the car is in the air and the wheels are off.

Toughest part was getting the shifter **** off. I recall when I installed the shifter last year that it was a pia as well. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Twisted the boot and had to plant both feet in the car so I could heave it off. Another benefit of the cab.

Tight quarters
Old 11-30-2019, 04:40 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Yep you will get an airbag light that will need to be cleared. Can’t remember what ODB tool I used to turn mine off when I did this.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:40 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Impressive physical ability to get wheels off in that space. Even more so to open door and get inside car!
The following 2 users liked this post by ManoTexas:
63mercedes (11-30-2019), latonnelier (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Impressive physical ability to get wheels off in that space. Even more so to open door and get inside car!
Thanks, I've become a contortionist.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 542 Posts

Off topic, but how are you liking the shifter compared to the OEM?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Off topic, but how are you liking the shifter compared to the OEM?
I think it's a high quality piece worth the money and effort to install. It's a solid improvement over stock. I really like the precise feel. As a member posed recently "Chasing Manual Transmission Bliss", that's what I'm going for. From what I've read the cables have an even more significant effect. Now I just need to figure out what gear oil and brake fluid to use. I've always been a Red Line guy so I'll probably stick with it.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m glad to not be the only one who struggled to get the shift **** off. I just thought I was weak!
Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Xios
I think it's a high quality piece worth the money and effort to install. It's a solid improvement over stock. I really like the precise feel. As a member posed recently "Chasing Manual Transmission Bliss", that's what I'm going for. From what I've read the cables have an even more significant effect. Now I just need to figure out what gear oil and brake fluid to use. I've always been a Red Line guy so I'll probably stick with it.

Thank you, you are just reaffirming what everyone else says that has it installed. I just bought a manual cab and will try the OEM for a while but I think this upgrade is in my future.

Quick Reply: Question while prepping for Numeric cables