Sponsored by:

Cabs Are Underrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Doug thanks for the insight, what a shame though, the styling is timeless and absolutely gorgeous!
It really comes down to how much you are going to drive it each year. Some have said a $1 per mile. I honestly have never kept track and this and the DB11 now stay at our Florida house where we only spend 3 or 4 months out of the year so neither get used much.

A good buddy of mine down in Florida bought an early model for his wife and says theirs is rock solid.

Lol, this is him driving his wife's car one night after celebrating the hockey team he owns winning their championship.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mborghini.html

But if that is what gets your heart racing, screw it and get one. Just make sure you get one well serviced, with all updates and that has had a recent clutch job.
The following users liked this post:
Vincent713 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodH
if it can me measured on my lap timer, it matters to me. Many cabs are 100-200lbs heavier than the coupe counterpart. I don’t know about you, but I can tell a difference when I have someone else in the car vs driving by myself. It isn’t that out of the realm to say that a coupe performs better and maybe, just maybe, some drivers can actually feel the difference.

if your spending hours at the track analyzing this kind of stuff with your driving coach and changing tires pressures and alignment specs and adjusting your line a few inches here and there to maximize your lap time, you might be close to 9-10/10ths. If you don’t, then I guess it doesn’t matter. But it is what it is.

as a side note regarding “buttometers”, I once was told by one of my kart instructors (former Le Man driver for the yellow Corvette team) that some people don’t wear rib protectors so they can get a better “feel” for how the chassis is flexing (in Karting this is very very important). Sure enough the first time I tried it, I went wide on a high speed sweeper and ended up in the wall, resulting in 4 broken ribs. And I won’t get into detail about doing it again on a different corner when I finally got back to racing, but that time it was only 2 ribs on the other side, so it wasn’t nearly as bad.
Lol, you are trying real hard to rain on us cab guys' parade! First, the sun is bad and now cabs have sucky performance.

If you are so worried about the negligible difference between a cab and coupe performance, you should purchase a GT3 or a turbo and please, please keep it off public streets, My 2012 GTS cab has all I need for running around town and picking up groceries.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:33 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I don’t mind a track guy telling me cabs suck or that cabs are slow. These really are capable track cars and at the end of the day... I’m using my C4S all wrong. It’s engineered for the track and I’m just driving up to Chicfila half of the time 😂
PierW (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:31 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Cabs are great, coupes are great. Looks of coupe in 911s are a bit better imho (same with most cars) but cabs are great for perfect spring and fall days. I have a couple of convertibles and there are definitely times where dropping the top is tops.

Performance difference in most applications is minor but in most older cars you can notice flex in cabs vs the solidity of coupes.

Cant really go wrong.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I would own a cab and a coupe if I could. Maybe I can...
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoravos
Same, I bought a Cab to "appease" the GF. I now think it's awesome, aside from the horrible visibility with the top up.

I went for a top down drive today, November 26th in New England!
I usually get at least one day with the top down in every month. That said, we had 18 inches of snow yesterday, and it’s -2 degrees right now. I’ll be driving my GMC truck today.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd say the choice depends upon where you live. I live in the country and from March through October, I have the top down around 75% of the time. I currently have a GT3 and a 981BS, my DD. IMO there is no better sports car driving experience, then driving a Porsche with the top down in the Spring / Summer, especially on a nice winding road. During these months I will often see a 911 coupe, and I think there is no way that I would to switch cars. To me the quintessential sports car is one without a top. The Porsche 555 Spyder is of course at the top of my list.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:11 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
if it can me measured on my lap timer, it matters to me. Many cabs are 100-200lbs heavier than the coupe counterpart. I don’t know about you, but I can tell a difference when I have someone else in the car vs driving by myself. It isn’t that out of the realm to say that a coupe performs better and maybe, just maybe, some drivers can actually feel the difference.

if your spending hours at the track analyzing this kind of stuff with your driving coach and changing tires pressures and alignment specs and adjusting your line a few inches here and there to maximize your lap time, you might be close to 9-10/10ths. If you don’t, then I guess it doesn’t matter. But it is what it is.

as a side note regarding “buttometers”, I once was told by one of my kart instructors (former Le Man driver for the yellow Corvette team) that some people don’t wear rib protectors so they can get a better “feel” for how the chassis is flexing (in Karting this is very very important). Sure enough the first time I tried it, I went wide on a high speed sweeper and ended up in the wall, resulting in 4 broken ribs. And I won’t get into detail about doing it again on a different corner when I finally got back to racing, but that time it was only 2 ribs on the other side, so it wasn’t nearly as bad.
I don't think anyone is arguing that a coupe is better than a cab on the track but most of us don't track the car much if at all and in those cases it doesn't matter.

You aren't debating coupe vs cab but more along the lines of S vs GT vs dedicated track car.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

My rule is if it has 2 doors, it can't have a roof. If I need a car with a fixed roof, it has 4 doors. There's nothing more useless than the back seat of a coupe and 4 door vehicles often weigh no more than coupes.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:14 PM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am 100% not a convertible guy. My cousin who I always says got me into cars totally is. He currently has a 718 Boxster GTS. If my car exploded tomorrow and I was getting a new car, a 718 Cayman GTS would be at the top of my list.

One of my best buddies that is a car guy is also 100% into convertibles to the point where he has had 2 of those Mercury Capri Turbos from the 90s!!

As someone who would never buy a convertible though, I do think they are awesome and I fully enjoy driving in them. I even drove a boss' Le Baron convertible to and from LA a few times! haha. The top was permanently down on that one, not by choice.

Living in SoCal it is a bit counterintuitive but I just would not have the top down much except at night or when the sun is not so intense. I wonder what AZ, NV, NM, and TX... people think?

I just think there are cab people and non-cab people. There is a dude down the street from me with a black 964 cab. I LOVE seeing it. I do not want it. I do want a ride in it!!

I am interested in how many of you daily your Cabs and what percentage of you do it with the top down??
Tampa, FL here. New to my '07 C4S Cab (Sept) but it is nearly daily and as another poster noted, if it isn't raining, it's down. Have driven it from low-50's to upper 90's and to me, that is the only way to fly. Between the wind, exhaust note (though I'm looking to Gundo soon for even more aural pleasure!) and the enhanced sense of speed, I just can't get enough of it!

I've always loved rag-tops but never owned one. With this car, I've checked a number of boxes that I mentally built from my mid-teens on... Porsche, Cabriolet, 0-60 under 5 seconds...and even after a few months, my heart still skips a beat when you turn the key and the flat-six wakes up!
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PierW
Tampa, FL here. New to my '07 C4S Cab (Sept) but it is nearly daily and as another poster noted, if it isn't raining, it's down. Have driven it from low-50's to upper 90's and to me, that is the only way to fly. Between the wind, exhaust note (though I'm looking to Gundo soon for even more aural pleasure!) and the enhanced sense of speed, I just can't get enough of it!

I've always loved rag-tops but never owned one. With this car, I've checked a number of boxes that I mentally built from my mid-teens on... Porsche, Cabriolet, 0-60 under 5 seconds...and even after a few months, my heart still skips a beat when you turn the key and the flat-six wakes up!
Right on! This is what it’s all about.
PierW (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Loved mine too especially the sound of that slant six. Never saw a brown TR6 though. Did they come in brown from the factory?
Yep! It was a gorgeous chocolate brown color.....like a mocha....sooo pretty. Saddle interior and man was she sweet.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Loved mine too especially the sound of that slant six. Never saw a brown TR6 though. Did they come in brown from the factory?
Google it....you'll see!

Tom
Old 11-27-2019, 01:55 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, you are trying real hard to rain on us cab guys' parade! First, the sun is bad and now cabs have sucky performance.

If you are so worried about the negligible difference between a cab and coupe performance, you should purchase a GT3 or a turbo and please, please keep it off public streets, My 2012 GTS cab has all I need for running around town and picking up groceries.
+1 No kidding. I'd be happy to put my cab up against rodH's coupe any time. By my butt dyno calcs I am pushing at least 600HP!!!

Its ridiculous to argue the performance angle for all the reasons that have been stated. No one buys a cab to shave tenths off at the track. Have had my cab on the track and they only guys passing me are the ones that are better drivers, coupe or cab. Have had coupes following me down the straight at Mosport and they dont gain an inch (before my engine change)

I actually feel sorry for coupe guys when the suns out and the drivings fine!
Dont see those F1 guys with roofs
Zoefhaus (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 919 Posts

Wasn't the chassis of the 911 designed first as a cabriolet and then as a coupe, starting with the 997 series? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

In any case, the beauty of the 911 is that it comes in so many variants.

Quick Reply: Cabs Are Underrated