Sponsored by:

Just Drove Tail of The Dragon!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019 | 12:29 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Ok I’ll check those out!!

Tonight I drove the new section of the Foothills Pkwy and I never saw another car. I’m getting better and more confident. Moving my seat forward really helped me in the corners. So simple but it helped a lot. Sports+ also really helps in the corners because it eliminates so much body roll. I also learned how low gears (higher rpms) render braking almost unnecessary. I rarely touched my brake. I’d downshift from 3rd to 2nd at the start of a turn and midway through I’d rev it to 5k (sometimes 6k) and exit the corner with zero body roll. It just felt amazing. Again I’m a noob and I have no idea what I’m doing.

I’ve heard the 991 PDK shifts faster...but I don’t know how. Occasionally there was that momentary lag, but for the most part, pulling a paddle = instant shift. It made feel so in control.

But honestly...here’s how good a C4S is in Sports+ with PDK... I’m a noob and I never heard a tire squeal. I never felt any imbalance or any fear. The car remained planted. It was really saying “I’ve got a lot more to give you once you learn how to drive.” Guys, I can’t say that about any American cars. They fishtail so easy, which is fun. But planted, in control, pushing the limit is MORE fun in a 911.
With all due respect, you write that you are a noob, so you may not know or understand what "out of balance" feels like. Especially in a 911. Remember that using sport/sport+ reduces traction/stability control. Finding your edge on a street isn't smart. Get to the track and learn to drive properly.

Respectfully.

Cw
Old 11-22-2019 | 12:35 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Sports mode stiffens up the suspension, Sports+ even more so. Increases throttle response too and shifts the PDK faster.
PASM only has two modes and sport mode activates the sport mode in PASM unless you have the TPC DSC controller. DSC makes PASM activation separate from sport mode (at least in my V3 DSC controller).

However Sport+ does change the PDK shift points, PSM engagement, throttle mapping and some say ignition timing. All of those would give the impression of a more taut and responsive car.
Old 11-22-2019 | 12:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Snappy, did you find your KillBoy pictures?
Old 11-22-2019 | 03:32 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
No, he wasn't there that day. It was 55 degrees and there was no one on the dragon. About half way through I came up on a BMW motorcycle but he was going really slow for some reason. My second time through I saw a Cadillac sedan and Dodge Ram and both pulled over for me. It was really fun to have it all to myself. Probably for the best since I'm noob. I'm not sure I'll ever be there again. I mostly just drive my car around town. Rarely go above 2500 rpm in real life.
Old 11-22-2019 | 03:41 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
PASM only has two modes and sport mode activates the sport mode in PASM unless you have the TPC DSC controller. DSC makes PASM activation separate from sport mode (at least in my V3 DSC controller).

However Sport+ does change the PDK shift points, PSM engagement, throttle mapping and some say ignition timing. All of those would give the impression of a more taut and responsive car.
Here's the info I'm seeing about Sport mode. The dampers stiffen and provide better cornering: https://www.total911.com/porsche-911-gt3-first-drive/

It is interesting to see PASM is the same until you go into Sport+
Old 11-23-2019 | 03:06 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

heres another old one. I cant get pictures on any of my old rennlist posts they must disappear after a time.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl63-amg-...last-week.html
Old 11-23-2019 | 05:13 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Drove the Dragon several times with my 993's. The 997 I have only since 2 month as my daily. When I'm in the Smokey's we usually stay at the Snowbird lodge. This lodge is 20 min away from the dragon. I get up early and try to be there short after sunrise to avoid traffic. The 20 min ride to the dragon warms up the car perfectly. Doing then the 318 turns twice driving back and forth in one ride. Then back to the lodge for breakfast. Perfect start in the day.
Old 11-23-2019 | 05:26 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by tropheus

Drove the Dragon several times with my 993's. The 997 I have only since 2 month as my daily. When I'm in the Smokey's we usually stay at the Snowbird lodge. This lodge is 20 min away from the dragon. I get up early and try to be there short after sunrise to avoid traffic. The 20 min ride to the dragon warms up the car perfectly. Doing then the 318 turns twice driving back and forth in one ride. Then back to the lodge for breakfast. Perfect start in the day.
That sounds so incredible!! Any tips?
Old 11-24-2019 | 12:08 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

That sounds so incredible!! Any tips?
Not much more inside other than
- drive always safe and don't contribute to the tree of shame
- the Snowbird Lodge which is directly at the beginnings of the Cherohala Skyway drive

Jack
Old 11-24-2019 | 12:29 PM
lflouie
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
https://tapoco.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA8e...xoCoQsQAvD_BwE

Tapoco Lodge is near top of the Dragon. Nice rooms or cottages, covered parking, good food.
Old 11-24-2019 | 09:40 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

I stay there every time, 3 mi from the gap. Very cool place. Fun drive down the mountain too, and Fugitive Dam.
Old 11-25-2019 | 12:19 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Here's the info I'm seeing about Sport mode. The dampers stiffen and provide better cornering: https://www.total911.com/porsche-911-gt3-first-drive/

It is interesting to see PASM is the same until you go into Sport+
That table is for the 991.1 GT3 and does not apply to your settings. See page 54 of your manual for the full details which also cover sport plus.

Switching Sport mode on and off Switching Sport mode on and off simultaneously activates and deactivates the Sport mode in PASM.

If PASM Sport mode was activated with the PASM button, PASM remains active.

After the ignition is switched off, Sport mode is automatically reset to Normal mode.
Old 11-25-2019 | 01:21 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
That table is for the 991.1 GT3 and does not apply to your settings. See page 54 of your manual for the full details which also cover sport plus.
Thanks so much for sharing this!! Now there can be no doubting that Sport and Sport+ stiffen the suspension and reduce body roll:

Old 11-25-2019 | 01:25 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

^ that's correct, but there's no difference between Sport and Sport + on a 997.2. They're both just PASM on.
Old 11-25-2019 | 10:45 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lflouie
https://tapoco.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA8e...xoCoQsQAvD_BwE

Tapoco Lodge is near top of the Dragon. Nice rooms or cottages, covered parking, good food.
I stayed in Tapoco lodge too. I think the snowbird lodge is the much better choice. But for sure this is subjective. And, snowbird lodge has a liquor license and full equipped bar and wine cellar.
J

Quick Reply: Just Drove Tail of The Dragon!!