Sponsored by:

My 997 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019 | 02:44 PM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Default My 997 Journey

Folks,

I wanted to share my 997 journey (to date), partly in the hopes its valuable to another prospective buyer of this amazing model and importantly to say thank you to the many folks on this forum who have taken the time to respond to me directly or by virtue of sharing their experiences in various postings etc.

A long story short, ever since I lived in Europe as a kid in the 70s/80s I’ve always loved the magical looks of a 911. I went on to wear out a VHS version of 1987s “No Man’s Land” simply to watch the chase scenes and 911s in action over and over (not to mention what an enjoyable thriller it is to watch even today).

All of life’s great moments – school, work, kids, budgets etc. – meant it took longer than I wanted to acquire my first 911 but it finally happened this year. While the 996s are purported to be the “best value” – and I enjoyed driving one – I simply can’t get past the headlights, much as I like the slim design of the car otherwise and have no problem with a water cooled model. An earlier model – much as I like the 993s and previous generations, particularly old school Targas – isn’t as practical for me right now.

Thus a 997 was the perfect fit and after some searching I found a great looking 2006 S Cabriolet in Texas that seemed to fit the bill, with 74K. It’s a Tiptronic (I know, sacrilege to many but between 80% driving in bumper-to-bumper city living and a bad left knee (sports injury) a manual isn’t practical for me anymore). Such is life..it’s still a 911. I wanted an 06 (and checked the engine number and manufacture date as backup) to further mitigate the potential IMS risk.

It’s Arctic Silver, a color I find to be the perfect balance of classic and being less “showy.” It had two previous owners, both in Texas. The Stone Grey interior was in excellent condition, especially the seats and carpeting. The seller – an independent dealer – was happy to ship it to me up north and actively encouraged a PPI (which I did and he provided the lift etc).

It didn’t have all the records, he acquired it through an auction, but a polite call to the dealer in Houston that sold it verbally provided the first 10 years’ records. The second owner was an unknown, save the four newer Michelin tires with about 10K on them (DOT manufacturer date helps) and a newer stereo. It came with all the other original pieces – the tool kit intact, all manuals etc. and even included the original stereo/PCM/CD changer/amp etc. in the frunk. Of course I checked Carfax, BadVIN and AutoCheck and all clear in terms of accidents, salvage etc.

Less than ideal, I know. So, I found a reputable PPI mechanic who gave it a careful once over, put it up on a lift and sent many pics and his conclusion was: used, but not at all abused, with lots of original rubber to be aware of (noted the suspension would likely need work sooner than later) that should be taken into the final selling price, but deemed an overall great example. As he put it, everything is within spec and running fine – save a slight oil leak which was later found to be an AOS issue – but cautioned to be ready for some preventative maintenance sooner than later. The dealer had changed the oil and installed new rear brakes but that was it.

So, taking the PPI into account, I made the deal and paid $28K for it shipped. It ran well for the first couple months, but I brought it to my local well-known Porsche independent for a second opinion, knowing it needed more. Their conclusion was in line with the PPI, and the only two things they found as an immediate “must do” was replacing a brake pressure line that was just starting to fray, replace the brake fluid and swap the AOS, the assumed and verified oil leak source.

From there, I went down the rabbit hole and replaced the water pump/thermostat (it was working but was original so likely at the end of the line anyway), serviced the transmission per Porsche specs (at 12 years), replaced the sparks and packs, replaced the aforementioned AOS, put in new pulley rollers and had the water drains cleared out. I’ve also installed new front struts and mounts, tie rod and sway bar bushings. I did a few things on my own – new air filters, serpentine belt – but some of the above is beyond my modest (but growing) DIY capabilities. I still have to replace the rear struts but the Bilsteins I want are on backorder. Probably took on more than necessary at once but…

When all is said and done, I’m now at the $40K mark all in. In the short-term, I’m guessing I’m on the expensive/maybe overpaid side of the equation, but not grossly so from what I’ve been observing in the market over the last six months. Importantly, I’ve done a lot of the critical and core preventative work that will (hopefully) keep this car driving well for years to come, and was performed by a renowned independent shop that I know did it well, so I feel like every year I own it the delta between potentially good and bad deal keeps swinging in my favor (barring any unforeseen issues which are always a risk in a 13 year old car).

I’ve also realized that small, DIY things can really elevate an older car: new lugs nuts to replace the surface rusting ones, removing old/yellowing stickers (sunvisors), polishing the chrome tailpipe covers, giving the headlamps a real restoration etc. All inexpensive and very rewarding.

I love driving it, the growl of the engine, the fact that my entire family can squeeze in (for short distances) and it’s comfortable even on (miserable/pot hole laden) city streets.

That said, a few small frustrations remain:

** The convertible top is grey which I find makes it look very tired even though it’s in nice shape and I’ve done two rounds of Ragg Top on it. I might look into dying it black (and welcome thoughts/success stories/nightmares on the topic) and/or keep cleaning and treating it. The top is down most of the time anyway.

** Like most other 911s I saw, amazing how scratched up even an overall great interior becomes and see paint peels that I’ll tackle soon, as well as putting in new AC buttons.

** One of the door panels is slightly separating at the top now, I’ve read not uncommon – the door panels in my 92 BMW 3 series are better made (I know, pre-airbags etc.).

** Mine doesn’t have seat warmers, not an issue in the summer but as the fall settles in I wish I had them…

And, finally, some lessons learned to pass along:

** A comprehensive, reliable PPI is a must, no matter who the seller is (even a Porsche dealer), how much paperwork there is etc. It’s an invaluable input, BUT, remember that a PPI isn’t a guarantee or warranty. A car that’s 13 years old is more prone to leaks, failures etc. that can’t be 100% accurately predicted. But it’s value is beyond question and had the dealer balked in any way I’d have walked away, there are others out there. A through PPI is the best money spent.

** Spend time reading up on the model you’d like, there’s tons of info out there. Like everything online, the bad can overpower the good so take your time and really get to know things and probabilities (IMS, bore scoring (thus the TX find)). Local PCA folks are a great resource, as well.

** CPO’s can provide great support/insurance/assurance, but expect to pay a premium for them and even then a PPI is a must. I looked at an 07 S cab, similar to the one I purchased, at a Midwest Porsche dealer that was $45K and upon inspecting the paperwork carefully (which I asked for in advance) noted the tech during his/her review added “Strongly recommend a major service at this time,” something the selling dealer didn’t do (they only changed the oil). Also, beware the difference between “failure” and “wear and tear” – the CPO language notes under “This warranty does not cover,” “Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.” So, it’s not like getting a bumper-to-bumper warranty in a new car.

Sorry for the long posting but my way of sharing and saying thanks…and more chapters in the journey to come.
The following 3 users liked this post by Submariner2009:
doclouie (10-17-2019), snaphappy (10-17-2019), TheTorch (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019 | 09:47 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Congrats on finally achieving the 911 dream and thanks for sharing your Journey so far. Sounds like this Porsche is in good hands now and should have lots of great adventures ahead. Post some pics when you can. Enjoy in good health!!
Old 10-18-2019 | 01:06 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Welcome and congrats! And yes, DIY projects can turn a 13yr old car into something that looks 2yrs old. Buttons are a must, as is center console respray if yours is scratched up. You can also ask your local Porsche dealer who they use as their interior guy form CPO cars. These guys can do wonders to leather and plastic repair for $100-200.

Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: My 997 Journey