Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Big brake” adapter kits worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 03:03 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

So it looks like there is a 2 lbs difference between Carrera S 4S 330mm and Turbo 350mm rotors.

I do like the idea of the look of bigger rotors. I am torn now because I spent some good money on lighter wheels to lose 20lbs rotational mass and now the thought of adding 8 lbs of rotational mass back on is playing with my emotions

These figures I just got off pelican parts comparing some rotor weights of generic sebro rotors.
Fronts

330mm 24 lbs
350mm 26 lbs

Rears

330mm 21 lbs
350mm 23 lbs
Old 10-07-2019, 10:17 AM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

If you only do a couple o DE events a year, IMHO it is not worth it. Remember, larger heavier rotors also increase the unsprung weight, which will also somewhat negatively affect the handling. You will get more benefit in practicing your braking technique and braking less. When I was racing, I found that improved my brake wear the most.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Planning to do a brake upgrade soon. Was planning to use Hawk ceramic pads, and sebro slotted rotors. This is a weekend toy car (06 C2S) which may see a couple de days a year.
Is it worth anything to get the adapters to run the bigger 350mm rotors? Cost is the same, but is it really worth anything in braking performance?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jimfuerst
If you only do a couple o DE events a year, IMHO it is not worth it. Remember, larger heavier rotors also increase the unsprung weight, which will also somewhat negatively affect the handling. You will get more benefit in practicing your braking technique and braking less. When I was racing, I found that improved my brake wear the most.
No experience here, but I thought the opposite would be true. My thoughts were that increased braking and cooling capabilities with a bigger rotor would actually quicken lap times. Braking is one of the easier ways to improve lap times from what I have read, but I have no personal experience or data to back up my assumptions. is the 2 Lbs. difference all unsprung weight, or is a good chunk of that in the caliper?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

These cars have great brakes from the factory and unless you are racing endurance racing, the stock brakes are completely adequate. Improved braking is one of the best ways to improve lap times. The best way to do that is improved braking technique.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:59 AM
driggity
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
No experience here, but I thought the opposite would be true. My thoughts were that increased braking and cooling capabilities with a bigger rotor would actually quicken lap times. Braking is one of the easier ways to improve lap times from what I have read, but I have no personal experience or data to back up my assumptions. is the 2 Lbs. difference all unsprung weight, or is a good chunk of that in the caliper?
Improved braking performance will improve your lap times if you can take advantage of it. However if you're not overheating your brakes then bigger rotors probably aren't going improve performance.You're going to be better off focusing on pads/fluid/tires.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
So it looks like there is a 2 lbs difference between Carrera S 4S 330mm and Turbo 350mm rotors.

I do like the idea of the look of bigger rotors. I am torn now because I spent some good money on lighter wheels to lose 20lbs rotational mass and now the thought of adding 8 lbs of rotational mass back on is playing with my emotions
You could always go for a larger 2 piece setup like the Girodiscs that weighs less than stock. Plus if you care about looks 2 piece rotors look even better. Not exactly a cost efficient way of going about it.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SF997S
Larger diameter brake rotors increase stopping power because of basic physics. Imagine a line drawn from the hub center to the outer edge of the rotor. That line is a lever. The longer the line (bigger the rotor), the more leverage the braking system has over the force of rotation.

So yes, get the big ones!
Those same laws of physics apply to the tires’ contact patch. You can’t stop any faster than those little patches of rubber will allow.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:22 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 323 Posts

before

after

The following users liked this post:
ColoradoMark (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 04:17 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

So I bit the bullet as well and decided to try this big brake kit mod out, but only decided to do the Fronts. As I stated in previous post, braking or feeling the lack of braking power has never been as issue for me. I was quite confident in my 997.1 C4S braking abilities on track, canyons, and everywhere else. With the right pads and rotors I never felt any fade or loss of braking power at the track.

Lately I have been swapping rotors every other brake pad job because I was going through brake pads like once a year. So my front rotors were looking a bit toasty and I had put some new Textar pads on about 6 months ago.
So for this mod I just ordered some 997 Turbo 350mm Sebro rotors from Pelicans. Got them the next day and they are not that expensive. I have used Sebro, made in Germany, for years on my other cars and never had a problem with them, durable, and made well.

So my old rotors weight against new ones:

Front 330mm rotors 23 lbs each. (These rotors are warn down and used, so may be 24 lbs new as listed on pelicans)

Front 350mm rotors 26 lbs each.

3 lbs difference.

I purchased OZ leggera HLT light weight wheels about 18 months ago. The wheels are 3 lbs lighter each front (8.5x19) and 6 lbs lighter, even though they are wider, each rear (12x19) versus my oem Carrera Sports (8.5x19 11.5x19).
So the front wheel weight savings is a wash with these rotors, but I left the rears alone at the oem 330mm because that is where my biggest rotational mass weight savings is with my OZ wheels and also because that is the next biggest rotational mass attached closely to the engine besides the flywheel.

So the Kit was purchased from ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222778581927

This kit comes with 8 spacers, 8 extended bolts, and 8 lock washers to modify all 4 calipers for the bigger rotors. Kits come with 8x 100mm 12.9 grade bolts and 8x 6061 aluminum spacers. Rotors sold separately. The price is reasonable considering the other competitors are almost twice as much for only 2 spacers!

AP is a good competitor, I even like the design a bit better, but the price is more expensive and for only 2 spacers and bolts

My first impressions.. The 350mm Rotors do fill out the wheel much better and look beefier for sure!!

I do feel the weight of the rotor added back onto the front axle. It is slight, but the steering feels a bit heavier and a bit more solid. Acceleration being affected is probably not going to be noticed that much, I hope, but I need to drive it some more to know for sure. As far as braking performance.... I noticed my pads must have some uneven wear from being mated to my old rotors. So I need to do some hard braking and get the pads grinded down a bit and mated to the new rotors better before I can give a definitive answer, but so far everything seems to be working great and clearances seem good! More rotor material compared to used one so brake pedal does not need to be pushed down as much. Less brake pedal travel. Initial grab and braking feels really good and strong. Curious to see if this affects my gas mileage at all since I did see a nice bump in mpg when I put the light weight OZ wheels on.

Well I will try these out for awhile and post better pics later...

Last edited by qikqbn; 10-13-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

kru911 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rtl5009
Looking good!!! I assume you did all 4 rotors. Did you notice any slight differences driving with the heavier rotors? It would be subtle, but was curious if you did.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Looking good!!! I assume you did all 4 rotors. Did you notice any slight differences driving with the heavier rotors? It would be subtle, but was curious if you did.
Yup I did all 4. Yea the steering is ever so slightly heavier.

It feels good though. I did hawk ceramics on all 4 too while I was in there. Was so sick of the dust.

Last edited by rtl5009; 10-14-2019 at 08:56 PM.
qikqbn (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
Yup I did all 4. Yea the steering is ever so slightly heavier.

It feels good though. I did hawk ceramics on all 4 too while I was in there. Was so sick of the dust.
With the bigger rotors and hawk ceramic pads, do you notice any braking improvement? Do you track at all?

Quick Reply: “Big brake” adapter kits worth anything?