Sponsored by:

I cant decide! Turbo vs GT3!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 11:04 AM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy999
When people say "drive both" do they usually just have buds with both? I'd never be able to find someone to let me drive their 997 GT3 lol.
LOL. I wish I had cooler friends too. A Turbo for sale to test drive will not be hard. I’m a casual Porsche owner/driver. I have a Turbo, but thought I wanted one lowered, stiffer suspension, etc. It was not my cup of tea. Seemed all the cool kids were doing it. So I went back to my rocket cruiser which is a pleasure to drive all of the time.
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 01:05 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Brakes

Do both have ceramic brakes? If not, that would be determinative for me. I have a 2010 tt and the brakes are just as amazing as the engine.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:17 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I believe Ceramic brakes were an option on both cars. Maybe standard on the Turbo S?
Personally, I like steel brake since I track my GT3 and the cost ratio just swings in the steel column.
The following users liked this post:
cakM3 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 02:55 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Broken record and reiterating everyone else. Two great cars but different driving experiences. Both will appreciate over time, all things being equal but I think the GT3 will likely appreciate faster. It depends on what you value more.

GT3: more raw, stiffer suspension, manual only, sounds better than a Turbo, revs higher, handles better in corners, need to drive it like you stole it to get the most out of it. Under 4K RPM, it is not the easiest or most pleasant to drive, especially in "normal street" conditions.

Turbo: faster, more comfortable, quieter, easier to drive under normal conditions, can be had in manual or PDK (except Turbo S, which is PDK only), doesn't sound as good, better freeway cruiser.

Overall, the GT3 is the more of a special driving experience/car but it is high maintenance when it comes to how to get the most out of the car. Turbo is so much easier to drive and drive faster. OP, if you can't drive both (highly recommended), use your instincts based on feedback in this thread and you will gravitate towards the right car. Can't go wrong with either. This is like trying to pick two different flavors and styles of really good high quality ice cream. Have fun.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:16 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Honestly, if you don't plan on tracking it, the gt3 is just too much for most people. For example, I go out pretty.kuch every weekend with a group through the mountains. I usually take.my 964. The gt3 is just too much sometimes and it's not as fun because when you really get it where it wants to be... You're now a felon. That being said, it's an amazing car and it checks all the visceral boxes. Like stated above, the power really doesn't kick in till almost 5k. Oh, and you can't really hear the radio or a passenger over 50mph.
Old 07-23-2024, 01:50 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

This will breakdown like this the Turbo S is your WIFE
the GT3 is the MISTRESS
The wife is best all arounder but after a while you get bored of it and start to peruse the streets
the mistress is an expensive thriller that will leave you at a drop of the throttle
the initial costs are close at sticker but the long term value is always better for the bitch in heat 😎

Quick Reply: I cant decide! Turbo vs GT3!?!