Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct way to check tiptronic oil-level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Correct way to check tiptronic oil-level?

Did a oilchange in my tiptronic today, or at least tried. Here is how I did it :

*let the oil cool down to roomtemperature and opened the drainplug.

*removed the oilpan, cleaned it and istalled new filter.

*Installed oilpan and the pumped new oil in to the chargingvalve until it started to flow over

*Started the engine in Park, and let it idle, pumped more oil in until it STARTED to flow over

*with the brake pushed I went through the gears (in sport mode) Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Manual 1 and 2nd.

*With the oilpan at 35-40degrees celsius I opened the level-hole and thought I should be pump some more oil in... but when I opened it it started to gush out.. so I closed it and let it that way.

Now Im worried that I have to much oil in ? I used a airpressurized container to fill oil , and I start to think maybe thats why I got to much in?

Tomorrow I will drain it again to get more old oil out.. and then I want it to get it perfect Should I close the level-hole when the oil START to flow over or should I wait until it STOPS (like you do with a manual) ??
Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Did you have car raised level on stands or lift?
Old 08-20-2019, 03:36 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

Assuming the car is level, I would:

Start the car cold
Open the fill plug
If no fluid comes out, fill until it does
Allow car to idle until the trans comes up to temp (fluid will drizzle out the fill hole)
When temp reaches 35, reinstall the plug

You basically had it right, but once you went through the gears you should have removed the plug until the car came up to temp. Better to have it drool out as the temp rises than pop the plug out when it's hot and get splashed with hot fluid.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Assuming the car is level, I would:

Start the car cold
Open the fill plug
If no fluid comes out, fill until it does
Allow car to idle until the trans comes up to temp (fluid will drizzle out the fill hole)
When temp reaches 35, reinstall the plug

You basically had it right, but once you went through the gears you should have removed the plug until the car came up to temp. Better to have it drool out as the temp rises than pop the plug out when it's hot and get splashed with hot fluid.
Yep the car was level at a lift.

OK, so I should have had the level-plug opened when I started the car and went through the gears? and then reinstall at 35 degrees.
The fill plug isn´t same as level-plug.. but maybe it also works as a fillplug?

Seems like a lot of oil drools out between 30-40 degrees.. but maybe it isn´t ?

Quick Reply: Correct way to check tiptronic oil-level?