Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

James May in his 997.2 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019 | 10:41 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caitov
Maybe I interpreted the video differently, but I didn't think he was complaining - just pointing out how the differences compared to newer cars in the context of that's what's good about the 997.
The whole point is he's keeping it...
I liked the video.
Originally Posted by Hass_Geschafte
I'd better translate...James May is my spirit animal so I know what he's on about.

He wasn't complaining about the analog nature of the car, it was part of the setup of "I was gonna sell it." Hadn't been driving it much, ten years old, has too many cars etc. That's sort of the Top Gear formula - "Car X has rubbish boot space, uncomfortable seats, costs too much BUT it's amazing because.." or vice versa. The change in narrative course is just how they do things.

I like James May too, and I also understand that the “complaining” about the analog nature of the car was tongue-in-cheek, however there was never a “however...” moment. He just said that the only reason he wasn’t selling it was because the wife/girlfriend liked it and not because he loved the classic car feeling he mentioned at the beginning.
Old 07-20-2019 | 10:16 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

You're not wrong, and for the unfamiliar watching it may seem like he's blase about it, though the smile on his face when gave it some beans suggests otherwise. If you've seen the other occasions where he's driven or spoken about 911's, it's unequivocal. He's a big fan.

Speaking of which @ATSR, I'm a big fan of your car. Absurdly gorgeous and one of my absolute favorites on RL.
Old 07-21-2019 | 12:50 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hass_Geschafte
You're not wrong, and for the unfamiliar watching it may seem like he's blase about it, though the smile on his face when gave it some beans suggests otherwise. If you've seen the other occasions where he's driven or spoken about 911's, it's unequivocal. He's a big fan.

Speaking of which @ATSR, I'm a big fan of your car. Absurdly gorgeous and one of my absolute favorites on RL.
Thank you very much!! Really appreciate your nice words
Old 07-21-2019 | 01:33 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Didn't Clarkson came around and now likes the 911?
Old 07-21-2019 | 02:32 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Didn't Clarkson came around and now likes the 911?
Yeah. Famous Porsche hater; he started liking the 996.2 GT3RS then gave a begrudgingly good review to the 997.1 C2S and finally saw the light with the 997.2 Turbo. He still pokes at Porsche since that's his gimmick.

Old 07-21-2019 | 04:16 AM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hula
Yeah. Famous Porsche hater; he started liking the 996.2 GT3RS then gave a begrudgingly good review to the 997.1 C2S and finally saw the light with the 997.2 Turbo. He still pokes at Porsche since that's his gimmick.
Well he has so many gimmicks though. In addition to not slagging Porsche, in this video I was surprised to see him note the lower-than-Ferrari CO2 emissions without his normal "we all know global warming is rubbish" qualifier. Of course then he goes on to claim that "when driving through a really polluted city...the gas coming out of the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air going into the intake" which is, well.....totally ridiculous. And just to flaunt the court's decision* that he has no responsibility whatsoever to tell the truth, he follows that nonsense statement with "and that's the truth."

I really like James May and Richard Hammond. Clarkson is often funny, but it would be great if he wasn't such an unrepentant ----hole**. But at least he isn't hating on Porsches quite so much anymore.

*For those who don't know about this, that's from the Tesla libel case, where noted EV hater Clarkson went and faked a dead Roadster. Straight up filmed it "dying" on track (when it absolutely did not), said on-air that it died after 55 miles (when it did not), said after that "the problem is, it just doesn't work" and then went into a segment about a hydrogen powered Honda which they did not drive on track but praised for being "just like a normal car." Their defense in UK court wasn't that they didn't lie; it was that they are an "entertainment show" and thus don't have to tell the truth. Seriously.

**Four dashes used to denote the British spelling.

Quick Reply: James May in his 997.2 C2S