Sponsored by:

Michelin PS4S like driving on soap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:27 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Is that hot or cold? I like those pressures when the tires are warmed up but that's too high for cold pressure, IMO.
Does anyone else run the PS4S at 33/36 HOT?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:54 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

@Shooter50 First I'd like to thank your people (mine too) for the tebirkes at Emmery's. I've had them at several locations and the ones at Noreport are the best. They just nail the balance between creaminess and crisp carmelization better than any other location. Also, they always seem freshest there.

Back to the tires - we have a good resource here in the US where you can determine somewhat reliably the general characteristics of tires (performance in wet, dry, comfort and treadwear) plus lots of user reviews.

Just enter your car here and any US zip code (46228 might be a good one as it is TR headquarters and might improve your selection for research).

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

Everyone else is right - put some miles on carefully first.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Does anyone else run the PS4S at 33/36 HOT?
Appropriate tire pressure may vary with compound but it is mostly defined by vehicle mass and tire patch size. It was long determined that for the 997.2 a good street value is 33/37PSI (at 68F). 32/36 can work too if the car has no load (1 driver), but that would not be a good value to set when hot. Hot (rubber temp 100F or so), the rears should hover around 40PSI.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:41 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread revival from someone who hasn't posted in a long time....

I just replaced aged-out MPSS with MPS4S on all wheels of my 2009 997.2S. Date codes 0521 and 0921, so fresh tires. Also had an alignment done, only a minor adjustment was needed on 1 wheel.

I understand that traction will be compromised until the tires are broken-in. However, do the PS4S start out noisier and then quiet down once broken in? I've driven approx 50 miles so far. At freeway speeds I am getting road noise that is noticeably louder than what I experienced with several sets of MPSS with comparable mileage after installation. Its not a constant noise either - it rhythmically varies slightly in pitch even at constant speed. Below 60mph the road noise seems normal. The underbody looks normal, although I have not examined the car while on a lift.

TIA for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by SY-997; 05-12-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:15 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

I would say the 4S is very good, but fairly loud even after break in, but it's very dependent on road surface, on uneven highway concrete it's not nice, however a smooth stretch of fresh blacktop and you barely notice the noise.

I feel like a bit higher than recommended pressure seems like they roll smoother, could be a placebo effect.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:20 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

I'd say mine are very quite. So road type has a lot to do with it.

Cw
Old 05-12-2021, 10:25 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
to the OP these are great rolling tires, smooth and much lower noise, but they need more time than usual to settle, you might triple check your pressure, as they are super sensitive to overinflation.
Compared to...? Is this common knowledge about Ps4s? I just bought some too about 50 miles ago. Got them set at about 33/38 cold.

As for the soap part, I can’t say the same’s true for me. They feel great and are very quiet compared to my prior RE050A tires that the dealer installed in the CPO process. Those were terrible in comparison.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:28 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I put MP4S all around 22.5K miles ago and loved them. The rears wore out so I put new ones on yesterday before a 500 mile drive today (mostly freeway). The rhythmic noises you describe were there. The car is floating and pulling. It took effort to drive straight. At triple digit speeds it was uncomfortable. It made for a long day.

That being said, my tire guy inflates high and I didn't lower the pressure before departure. The rears raised to 50 psi while the fronts were at 44 once they were warmed up. Tomorrow when they are cool I'll lower the pressures and see what happens with some spirited twisties. We have about an 8 hour loop planned out so by the end of the day I'll know better.

I remain hopeful.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a timely post for me. I just put Pilot 4S tires on my '07 Carrera S and completely lost my handling ability. I took it to the track and the turn in is terrible and the car doesn't feel connected anymore. I'm going to have it aligned but if this doesn't work I'm returning the tires to Tirerack. I can't figure out why they get such good reviews. Traction, ride, noise quality is fantastic but now steering inputs result in a lot of body roll.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by pro1200
This is a timely post for me. I just put Pilot 4S tires on my '07 Carrera S and completely lost my handling ability. I took it to the track and the turn in is terrible and the car doesn't feel connected anymore. I'm going to have it aligned but if this doesn't work I'm returning the tires to Tirerack. I can't figure out why they get such good reviews. Traction, ride, noise quality is fantastic but now steering inputs result in a lot of body roll.
I have an 07S too, so this is interesting to me because I’m thinking of changing to the 4S after my Bridgestone Potenzas wear out (which I think are fine). Please keep us updated.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 AM
4ptss
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pro1200
I completely agree with you! I gave mine 600 miles to "break in" as others have suggested and they were still horrible. Absolutely no steering response and the overall grip was terrible, the only bright side were they road nicely on the street. I had posted my thoughts on a FB site and got trashed by all the PS4S fan boys so now I just keep quiet... well until now. I honestly think most people just get use to the lack of grip when using these. I have switched to the Cup 2 tires so if anyone wants to buy a set of PS4S really cheap in NC let me know! hahaha
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 171K miles

I think I am one of the only ones here who are not totally enamored with the 4S tire. Yes, the soapyness will go away, but you will still be left with the disappointing affects of a softer sidewall. The tire is supposed to grip in corners the same or better than its predecessors so say test after test..... but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I reduced my pressures this morning. Yesterday was just short of 500 miles to remove the mold release. Today will be just under 500 miles of twisties. More to be revealed.

FWIW, at 22.5K miles, the 4S rears gave 10% less service than the sets of previous PSS tires. But that's within the range of noise and driving conditions. Still, perhaps an indicator. The fronts look like they will be less than the PSS average of 36K miles as well.

Yeah, to get that much wear I've got my toe and camber settings at their minimum. I used to do a lot of commuting and for canyon carving there is still a lot of handling window left. I'll gladly admit that the car is definitely not set up for the track. Now retired, I'm debating getting aggressive on alignment settings. But yesterday's instability was well beyond the norm.

I have really liked the PS4S. I don't mean to berate them. The next couple days after this one will put another 1000+ miles on so I think I'll know by then.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:19 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This funny. Every time Michelin comes out with a new tire, it is declared the "best ever". I am sure, as with almost everything, things do get better over time, incrementally. But this all reminds me of when the Pilot Super Sports came out. " Much, much better than the PS2s..... best ever". Then the comments came out about "greasiness" and a few blowouts. It seems like no one even talks about them now. PS4 comments are giving me Deja Vu. Perhaps they are more comfortable than the PS2s. I replaced my P Zero Rossos that came with my car with PS2s. They now have a fair amount of miles on them ( 18K?) and they are still quiet compare to the thump, thump, thump of he Pirellis with 12K miles at low speeds. Yes, my PS2s did feel strange when I first got them with some "squiggly" behavior/feel before the mold release wore off but they have been great. Handling is still great.

My guess is that Michelin is making their UHP tires a bit more like their all-seasons to get a bit more life, a bit more comfort and reduced noise. Let's not forget that sports car are becoming even less important in the market. I am sure there have been many relatively new (<2yr) used 911s on the market as the original owner thought it was a cool prestige brand only to find it is an extreme hard-core sports car. Even BMWs have become more flabby as they are seen more as a status symbol rather than an "ultimate driving machine".
Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm glad that some owners feel the same way about these tires. I, too, feel the sidewalls are too weak for good handling. When I was on the track with them I remember one incidence that was a pucker up moment. I was at the end of a long straight at about 140 MPH heading into the banked turn and all of a sudden the car shifted. It didn't lose traction-it felt like the whole body shifted to the outside. The way it handled was not the way a 911 should go through a turn.

Last edited by pro1200; 05-14-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS4S like driving on soap!