997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone lose their starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019 | 02:06 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Default Anyone lose their starter motor?

Maaaaaaan, I started my c4 .1 last week and I heard a loud BANG from behind me. Looked back expecting a monkey with a hammer to be sitting on my rear deck lid clearly visible through the rear window. No such luck. Car drove fine, nothing weird, all continued as expected. I did back into the garage that day which I normally never do. No death puddles or broken serpentine belts. Nada. A few days later I start the car and I hear a horrific and very brief SQUEAL from behind me. In four years I’ve never ever experienced anything like this. Shot in the dark guess is a starter motor dying. Today I had an unusually long crank needed to start the car, also a first. That sentence came out funny...........
Old 06-16-2019 | 02:13 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I have never heard of a starter motor making a “bang” sound. Do you have a scanner? I would start there and make sure you find out what is wrong before driving more as that sound is not normal even if it just happened once.
Old 06-16-2019 | 02:15 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Durametric here at home. I’ll give it a whirl.....sounded mechanical not electrical!
Old 06-16-2019 | 06:25 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

This is going back to high school and working on old Firebirds. Was a 1968 old in 1980? : )

Typically it's just a DC wound motor that gears into a solenoid that moves fore and aft to engage the teeth on the outer edge of the flywheel.

A solenoid could make a loud clunk but nothing like an ape with an Estwing.

Squealing while starting does sound like a starter/solenoid not fully engaging issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone lose their starter motor?