Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather on Dash issue [shrinkage/pulling]

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:54 AM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by T4S; 06-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:18 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, that section is a separate piece. I'd recommend pulling it off and having a shop replace the leather. You might be able to restretch it and reglue, but the tension in the leather is what caused it to pull away.

It's not complicated stuff. Leather glued with rubber cement. If you can't find a shop locally send it off to Exclusive Option or another high end leather shop. They'll have it fixed and sent back in no time.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:23 PM
T4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Yes, that section is a separate piece. I'd recommend pulling it off and having a shop replace the leather. You might be able to restretch it and reglue, but the tension in the leather is what caused it to pull away.
It's not complicated stuff. Leather glued with rubber cement. If you can't find a shop locally send it off to Exclusive Option or another high end leather shop. They'll have it fixed and sent back in no time.
Thank you, that's helpful.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I recommend a sunshade to avoid heat issues.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I Would also recommend treating your dash with a leather conditioner twice per year. There are several threads on which one to use.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Lexol leather conditioner makes leather "relax". This is why I don't like it... and it smells bad. When I used it on my seats, the seats developed large wrinkles/waves due to relaxing. Maybe it can help here. Personally, I would replace the leather.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Probably for a quick fix it would be easy enough to pickup up some 3m contact adhesive ( https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...655346638,cs:1 ) to repair/ affix the dash pod leather. I would probably approach it as follows:
1) pull back a bit more of the leather so as to give the glue more surface area to adhere and allow you to have a bit more material to pull and stretch back to the connection seam.
2 ) use some painters tape or 3M 223 tape to tape up to the seam on the dash
3) you will have to use a brush to apply the adhesive to both the under side of the leather and the underlying are because you will not be able to spray the area directly with ou getting glue everywhere . Use a generous amount of glue
4) once you have a generous about of adhesive applied start pressing and working the dash pod leather down and back to the dash seam. You will have to work fairly quickly. A dry run with out glue may give you an idea of where you are going to have to work the leather more. And, don’t worry about getting some of the adhesive on the top of the leather, it will rub off pretty readily. You will have to keep some pressure on the dash pod for a little while by either just using your fingers or you hand or maybe able to use some strips of duct tape to hold everything down till the glue dries.

Cheers
Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 PM
T4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Probably for a quick fix it would be easy enough to pickup up some 3m contact adhesive ( https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...655346638,cs:1 ) to repair/ affix the dash pod leather. I would probably approach it as follows:
1) pull back a bit more of the leather so as to give the glue more surface area to adhere and allow you to have a bit more material to pull and stretch back to the connection seam.
2 ) use some painters tape or 3M 223 tape to tape up to the seam on the dash
3) you will have to use a brush to apply the adhesive to both the under side of the leather and the underlying are because you will not be able to spray the area directly with ou getting glue everywhere . Use a generous amount of glue
4) once you have a generous about of adhesive applied start pressing and working the dash pod leather down and back to the dash seam. You will have to work fairly quickly. A dry run with out glue may give you an idea of where you are going to have to work the leather more. And, don’t worry about getting some of the adhesive on the top of the leather, it will rub off pretty readily. You will have to keep some pressure on the dash pod for a little while by either just using your fingers or you hand or maybe able to use some strips of duct tape to hold everything down till the glue dries.

Cheers
THANK you. Appreciate the insight. Solid post - may just give it a go.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

also give the front windshield the lightest tint possible to reduce heat as well as UV rays. there are tints that are practically invisible (darkness wise) that are perfect for front tinting.

Originally Posted by ADias
I recommend a sunshade to avoid heat issues.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Google "how to stretch leather" before... Unless that leather just de-laminated, you are going to need to stretch it or at least relax it. If it just de-laminated, then just glue it back down... but I doubt that is all it will take.

Good luck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
T4S
Instructor

Agreed, think there's been shrinkage. That dread feeling that leaves ya a little embarrassed. . .
Must fix soon> I'll get some stretch techniques dialed in prior.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As already noted, once you get this repaired you should do the following:
- Wipe the leather surface with a slightly damp microfiber once a month
- use a sunshade for the windsheild to keep the heat down
- condition twice a year with Leatherique Prestine clean, only spray on the microfiber and then apply to dash and an trim. You don’t want to get the leather too damp, just enough to leave some conditioner on the surface which will quickly soak in/evaporate off. Too much conditioner will damage the adhesive.

My car doesn’t see much sun but at 17k miles the leather on the dash and doors still looks great using above technique.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
condition twice a year with Leatherique Prestine clean, only spray on the microfiber and then apply to dash and an trim. You don’t want to get the leather too damp, just enough to leave some conditioner on the surface which will quickly soak in/evaporate off. Too much conditioner will damage the adhesive.
So you don't use the rejuvenator oil on the dash, just the cleaner?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I've used the Leatherique oil on the dash and door panels with no adverse effects. I think some on the board are worried that soaking these panels in oil will affect the glue bond and cause the leather to separate from the underlying panel. I have applied the oil generously and had no issues with this.

For general cleaning of the leather, I ONLY use the Prestine Clean.

My car is a daily driver. It lives in a climate controlled garage at night and is in a parking garage during the day, but my top is down a lot and the dash gets plenty of sun here in NC. After 80k miles, I have no issues with shrinkage or wrinkling or delamination with any of the leather panels.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Cleaning leather? I use plain old car soap and water with a hard sponge. It is skin. Soap is fine... at least I think so. I used it on my Boxster S and got 197K miles on the leather and it still looked fabulous.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Leather on Dash issue [shrinkage/pulling]