Sponsored by:

997.1 Definitive Buyers Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 02:25 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by EvieVivian
The 997.1 I just purchased had its oil and filter replaced by the dealer as part of the pre-sale prep. I am planning on getting a post-purchase inspection (I have a 7 day return window). I'm assuming the new filter will not show anything so asking for it to be cut will not be illuminating. What else can I do? The pan drop?

Thanks for the great guide, it's very helpful!
Checking the pan will be your best option in that scenario. Don't forget to get a DME readout and borescope inspection. Good luck
Old 01-15-2022, 05:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 165 Posts

Glad its been useful all. Ive been awol from the forum for a while because my 997.1 never breaks I'm up to 80k miles as a daily driver and finally had 1 minor issue after 3 years. It took 30 mins and $0 to fix. For any new buyers you will have a couple standard repairs in your first year of ownership, but once you have it dialed it, it will likely be the most reliable car you'll ever own.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBruce:
checkmate1996 (02-07-2022), Wayne Smith (01-15-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:13 PM
gcbpt
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This post is truly spectacular.... useful, practical and valuable information. Thank you so much for your time and effort putting this together and posting..
The following 2 users liked this post by gcbpt:
TheBruce (03-13-2022), wjk_glynn (03-12-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:17 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by gcbpt
This post is truly spectacular.... useful, practical and valuable information. Thank you so much for your time and effort putting this together and posting..
Glad it was helpful!
The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (10-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 09:27 PM
N3UN3LF3R
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, new poster here, although I've been lurking for quite some time now (less than 2 decades). The Porsche bug bit me back in 2002 and I've been a fan ever since though I have only been able to afford scale models in 1:18 and 1:43 at the time. Never driven one, only got a pic of my younger self taken at the SF Auto Show more than a decade ago. Didn't feel like taking a test drive at the stealership as I don't want sales people hounding me after the fact.

Two decades later, I might finally be getting a chance to own a 2007 C2S as a loved one has decided to part ways with what to me is a beautiful Arctic Silver example. It started out as a half joke but I'm glad it's coming to fruitiion. He claims the car is "clean" (has less than 30k miles on the clock) and has been well taken care of. I am inclined to trust his word although this is somewhat against what I would normally do with purchasing anything outside of my family circle. My brain tells me to have a PPI done, but I don't know if that could potentially insult him. After all, I got first (maybe second) dibs on the car and am getting it for a reasonable, family-friendly price.

As someone who's mostly driven front-engine cars before this ('93 Nissan Sentra XE coupe, BMW E92 335i), what should I expect out of the driving experience? Most YouTube videos I've seen are singing praises of the 997 platform, although a few have said to temper expectations due to a light-feeling front end due to the engine being in the back. These haven't dissuaded me from going after my dream car, and I hope this isn't case of "not wanting to meet your heroes." Any feedback would be appreciated, and nice to meet all of you here.

Cheers!

Marvin

Last edited by N3UN3LF3R; 08-20-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:03 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Get a PPI to avoid mechanical and family issues later. It has very little to do with maintenance history.You should be able to talk him into it.
997's are wonderful(I am on my second one) and you will be able to sell it easily if you don't like it. Find another used one for sale to do a test drive/comparison to the one you want to buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaskfri:
cbredesen (12-15-2022), N3UN3LF3R (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 02:31 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I may keep mine.

Thanks for a great write up Bruce. I have an 07 997.1 S convertible with Tiptronic. I’ve been thinking of selling but your post may have convinced me to keep it.
TheBruce (08-24-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 12:45 PM
jbade
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you, TheBruce. Just read for first time. Not sure if reading sooner would have helped or not. just had catastrophic failure on a M97.01, located in an '06 C4S. Now in the market for replacement motive power. bought at 95k and lost at 102k. have not opened engine, but believe inside part failed, as can look in hole in top and see crankshaft.
just the same, love the car and will continue to enjoy it when find a new engine. thank you again and for all of the great posts.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:47 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can we expand this a bit for PDK variants/options? Starting my quest for a 997 recently, and have begun trying to make some sense of the various configurations. Some PDK cars have only a "sport" button, and others have both that AND a "Sport Plus" button.

I drove a 2015 Carrera 4S for a weekend. It had both. I didn't think I'd use Sport Plus much for this relaxed touring drive. I found "normal" mode with early shifts and lazy gear changes to be pretty much unusable except once at highway speeds for a longer run. Sport was nice in town and when working through traffic and stops etc. Sport Plus is best for any "spirited" driving or for twisty 2-lanes with curves needing downshifts, then traffic, then blasting past other slow traffic.

I have read the stuff on the PDK Repair thread, including the descriptions of the three modes in the Porsche documents. All pretty clear and straight forward.

What I can't yet figure out is the various versions in the cars..... and am also wondering if all three modes are "resident" in the PDK controller and if Sport Plus can be unlocked somehow even if the car doesn't have the button or didn't originally have it... can it be added? Is it always/only tied to Sport Chrono/Sport Chronograph Plus? (this is the next quest.... what are the differences here?)

Any tips or summary of it all would be appreciated.

Last edited by Avenger6; 12-14-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:54 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
Can we expand this a bit for PDK variants/options? Starting my quest for a 997 recently, and have begun trying to make some sense of the various configurations. Some PDK cars have only a "sport" button, and others have both that AND a "Sport Plus" button.

I drove a 2015 Carrera 4S for a weekend. It had both. I didn't think I'd use Sport Plus much for this relaxed touring drive. I found "normal" mode with early shifts and lazy gear changes to be pretty much unusable except once at highway speeds for a longer run. Sport was nice in town and when working through traffic and stops etc. Sport Plus is best for any "spirited" driving or for twisty 2-lanes with curves needing downshifts, then traffic, then blasting past other slow traffic.

I have read the stuff on the PDK Repair thread, including the descriptions of the three modes in the Porsche documents. All pretty clear and straight forward.

What I can't yet figure out is the various versions in the cars..... and am also wondering if all three modes are "resident" in the PDK controller and if Sport Plus can be unlocked somehow even if the car doesn't have the button or didn't originally have it... can it be added? Is it always/only tied to Sport Chrono/Sport Chronograph Plus? (this is the next quest.... what are the differences here?)

Any tips or summary of it all would be appreciated.
997.1 (the subject of this thread) was offered only in 6MT or Tiptronic automatic (conventional torque converter style). PDK appeared in 997.2 generation (2009), replacing the previous auto.

On PDK cars, the Sport Chrono option brings the Sport and Sport Plus modes as well as the dash wart chronograph thingy. You can also have the software portion installed at a dealer which will confer the additional modes which IMO are the only way to get the most out of a PDK car.

I'm still a relative newcomer here so I may wind up correcting any of this information... (2010 PDK owner currently)
Old 12-31-2022, 06:09 PM
KAGE
4th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Just purchased my first Porsche (997.1 C2) and this post is unbelievably helpful. Thank you both for sharing your wealth of knowledge. It is much appreciated!! My only suggestion would be to update this post with information about the new 997.1 PCM replacement that was just issued by Porsche covering installation costs. The guys over at Friends Green Porsche did a pretty good video covering the topic which can be found here:

Last edited by KAGE; 12-31-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:34 PM
Everman31
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KAGE
Just purchased my first Porsche (997.1 C2) and this post is unbelievably helpful. Thank you both for sharing your wealth of knowledge. It is much appreciated!! My only suggestion would be to update this post with information about the new 997.1 PCM replacement that was just issued by Porsche covering installation costs. The guys over at Friends Green Porsche did a pretty good video covering the topic which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwilpM3izM.
Hey KAGE. Welcome! I’m in LB too. Let me know if you need any recommendations for Porsche indy shops. I’ve dealt with two local shops and both have been excellent.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting video on what to look out for when purchasing a 997 just popped up on the Rennthusiast YouTube channel with guest Nathan Merz:

Dubber (03-25-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 12:39 AM
kster
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for putting all this great information together Bruce; it's very helpful.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:09 PM
pantdino
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry if there is a better thread for this, but I am looking to buy a 997.1 and these are the facts as I understand them based on hours of reading things here and on the web.
Are any of these statements incorrect? If so, what needs to be corrected?1) There were 3 variations of the IMS bearing (IMSB) used in 996-997 cars

2) The 1998-2000 cars had a double row bearing with about a 1% failure rate.

3) The 2001- early 2005 cars used a single row bearing. These had a roughly 8% failure rate and a law suit occurred.

4) The 2005 ½ - 2008 cars with the M96.05 and M97.01 engines used a larger single row bearing that has a “very low” failure rate.

5) To replace the larger single row bearing in the 2005 ½ - 2008 cars you have to split the engine case, which involves dropping the engine (and obviously a lot more $$$ in labor)

6) Cars with a Tiptronic transmission require dropping the engine and trans to replace the IMSB, regardless of bearing type.

7) The seal on the large single row IMSB can be removed, allowing engine oil to wash into the bearing to lubricate it.

8) On a car with a Tiptronic, removing the seal on the large single row IMSB would involve dropping the engine and trans and separating them. Replacing it would involve splitting the case in addition.

Are any of these statements incorrect?

Thank you,
Jim

Quick Reply: 997.1 Definitive Buyers Guide