Sponsored by:

Front brake pads replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Front brake pads replacement advice

Just did major service with new coils, plugs, belt, water pump, two rear tyres, wipers, wheel alignment.

However I realise I need to replace front brake pads as they are OK but I will drive some slalom event during the summer so I thought I would do it myself. 3 mm left until wear indicator.

Is there any obvious things to think about apart from hanging up the callipers etc?

I saw that on Porsche quotation they also replace wear sensors. Is this needed? Is there special torque or Loctite recommended for the bolts? Pads on the Porsche quotation was only 220 Euro but total cost for replacement was 431 Euro which I thought was too much since I know I can do it myself.

I am mechanically inclined I would say but thought it would be good to check with you guys first for some good advice.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes it is a very easy job and you should have no problems. There is a very good video on replacing 996 brakes which are virtually identical and this will be a great help. It is recommended to get new caliper bolts as they are not to be reused - some do reuse them but that is you call. Caliper bolts have a specific torque setting - somewhere around 60ft/lbs but that is from memory. No Loctite on those bolts. You don't need to replace the sensors but three is a chance you could break one and I like to have all the parts on hand when I do job. Once when they made a change to the pads the old sensors would not fit into the new pads so I was happy to have replacements on hand. But if you don't damage them you can replace them later. Some people don't install the sensors into the pads and just secure them out of the way - again your call. I would also buy new dampers and not try to reuse the old ones because they are inexpensive and it is a hassle in my opinion to reuse the old ones. GL

Quick Reply: Front brake pads replacement advice