Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 6spd transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM
neckthrough
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@all - thanks a ton for your responses, for the links to other threads, and all the other detailed helpful comments. You guys are all awesome human beings.

Here is what I have mentally summarized:
  1. Several other 997.2 owners members have encountered this issue.
  2. Mobilube PTX seems to reduce or completely eliminate the problem for many folks. For others - not so much.
  3. Other tweaks (mounts, cables) may/may not help.
  4. 2nd->1st, re-clutching, slight rev-adjusting etc. always exist as workarounds (as I've observed as well).
  5. Jury is out on the underlying cause - it may be a worn synchro, which the PTX lube helps ameliorate. Or it may be a design flaw/tolerance issue (that impacts some cars but not others?)
I wish I had more closure on #5 because my car is still under warranty. If there's an underlying problem I want Porsche to fix it properly instead of papering over it with lube, or having to live with it via driving techniques. I'm going to fight on. Nevertheless, thanks once again for all the feedback, this was very helpful.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by neckthrough
. . . instead of papering over it with lube. . .
If you do try the oil change route your dealer probably doesn't stock PTX. It's only sold by Mobil in 20 liter jugs and my mechanic wanted me to front the cost of the whole 20 liters. It's such a popular "solution" Suncoast Porsche repackages it in 1 liter bottles (you will need 3). It's the only place I know that sells PTX by the liter.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

I just did this service this afternoon on my 997.1. As others have mentioned, the Mobilube PTX is the way to go. My car has 51k miles and based on the blue marker paint on the drain and fill plugs, the service had not been performed on my car yet. I was surprised to see that the gear oil still had a nice amber color it.

I noticed a little improvement after the service, especially shifting into first at a stop sign or a light. It used to give me fits on occasion (not all the time), but it's definitely more cooperative now. The test will be when the tranny is completely cold and I try it out.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I've done PTX on my old 997 and just this past weekend with my 997TT. While they have different gear boxes (Aisin vs. Getrag), the result was the same: much improved shifting, especially going into 1st gear. Does it make 1st gear balkiness go away completely? No, but it's much better and the shifts to 2nd and 3rd are buttery. If I were OP I'd do PTX first.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a 997.2 C2S with the same issue. Sometimes a shift into 2 then 1 does the trick and sometimes I drive off in 2nd. Not a big deal IMO.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I have a 997.2 C2S with the same issue. Sometimes a shift into 2 then 1 does the trick and sometimes I drive off in 2nd. Not a big deal IMO.
That's what I thought.... it just gets progressively worse. I wish I changed the fluid so so much earlier. I really think there is progressive wear in there as my jam, while still being ameliorated with the PTX, comes back earlier and earlier..... I think there is a synchro or other part that is just too soft in there.

Flush it now and save in the future.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 6spd transmission problem