Sponsored by:

Experience with Lithium Ion Battery for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Experience with Lithium Ion Battery for 997.2

Was curious about Lithium Ion batteries for my 997.2 and came across a few from AntiGravity and Arc-Angel. Anyone have experience with either of these batteries? Are there other ones on the market to consider?

Also, which size should I be looking for my 997.2?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Was curious about Lithium Ion batteries for my 997.2 and came across a few from AntiGravity and Arc-Angel. Anyone have experience with either of these batteries? Are there other ones on the market to consider?

Antigravity H6/24Ah will fit and has enough power with a current of 1.000Ah. The weight is less than 1/3 of a conventional lead-battery. But: I wonder if it's worth the money...
Why do you think about a swap?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I run lithium battery on my track bikes. Obviously, They are super light. They do have some issues when they are cold; you need to apply some draw to heat them up before they will be a full power. For one of bikes, large CC twin, cold, the battery will crank the engine for ages, but can't crank and provide a spark strong enough to start. So a booster has to be applied when it 40 or below. But the first time it happened, it was quite confusing.

I'd checkout the advanced auto version of the lithium battery too. They cost much less, have a warranty and I've, historically, had great success with them compared to Ballistic.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't notice 180lb passenger when I go on a track. Why would anyone feel what 10 lb difference? Invest in lighter wheel if your cash burn your pockets or better hire a coach.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recommend and offer the G30 Lithium Ion Green Lite battery from Braille. We actually installed this in our clients 997 Street-Track conversion project that we've been posting about in recently.

Braille Lithium delivers a higher, cleaner voltage which improves the performance of every electrical component and has shown to provide:
  • Quicker starting (a full volt higher than lead and less voltage drop during cranking
  • Improved engine management & data logging performance (more stable voltage)
  • Less horsepower draw from the alternator due to efficient charging (5 times faster than lead),
  • Lasts 3-5 times longer (especially under the harshest environments),
  • Much more reliable (less than 1% failure rate)
  • Significant weight savings. (up to 1/4 the weight) 5.5lbs
  • Don’t self-discharge, so if the battery is disconnected (no draw or via power disconnect switch), they can sit for over a year and still have over 13 volts to start the vehicle.
Here is the link to learn more about the battery. https://www.stableenergies.com/Brail...ctinfo/BB-G30/
Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

I have been running Antigravity Lithium ion batteries in my two big inch V-twin motorcycles and I couldn't be happier. They are super light weight and there is nothing to leak out. If I need to replace the battery in my 997.2 I will definitely look into the Antigravity choices.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Why a Li battery in a 997? To save weight there are other solutions using standard or AGM batteries. Li is unstable and batteries can (and have) self-ignited...
Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega

Well, we are a site sponsor and you can find my email in my signature feel free to write me.

You can check Braille, who probably the biggest name on the Track side of things.... but they do not have a BMS (Battery Management System) or ANY protections in their Batteries... which makes them sort of a non-starter if you are looking for a modern Lithium-Ion battery. These Protections I speak of are super important because they prevent the battery from being over-discharged, over-charged, and keeps the lithium cells balanced during charging and discharge there for giving the Battery the longest life possible. For example if you didn't drive your car often, or left the lights on for a few days accidentally then the Lithium Battery without protections would be over-discharged. This would ruin it because any battery chemistry will be damaged by severe over-discharge, but a Lithium Battery will shows it damage more because it is not a heavy chunk of metal like a Lead/Acid Battery. Also with out a good quality BMS the battery can be over-charge if it is restarted from a Low State of Charge and that could cause and effect known as Thermal Runaway... the battery melts down... So as a recommendation do not go with a Lithium Batttery without these protections.

Other Brands are Volt Phreaks, Lithium Pros. Volt Phreaks are good and use quality Lithium Cells, they also have a BMS. But they come in odd non standard sizes. Meaning its not a drop in fit and you have to get a tray that will allow you to adapt the smaller battery to the Car. This can be fine if you want to deal with that.

So what about Antigravity? Oh yeah, thats us. Well we are sort of the broadest spectrum, and I think I can say factually the most advanced in terms of Lithium-Ion Products. Meaning Lithium is ALL we do, and we do it encompassing products more sizes to cover most any application, as well as having developed some of the coolest Lithium Technology around. For example in 2013 we were the FIRST company to make the mini jump starters that every one has now .In fact Consumer Reports rated our XP-10 models the best rated Jump Starter! Then in 2017 we came out with the first Lithium-Ion Powersport/Motorsports Batteries with our RE-START built in Jump-Starting feature that would never lead you stranded because the battery would put itself to sleep with enough energy to start the vehicle again...

Then the culmination of this is the latest OEM RE-START version of the battery that offers WIRELESS Built-In Jump Starting, a full BMS for all the protections including Short-Circuit protections and then a direct OEM fitment into your Porsche, no need for a tray, no need for any special mounting... just a direct swap. So if you put that all together we should be on the short list of high quality Lithium products should you choose to go this route. And the fact is we are actually less expensive that the other brands I mention.... significantly less expensive but with more technology and protections.

Here's a video with our latest product....

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
Antigravity H6/24Ah will fit and has enough power with a current of 1.000Ah. The weight is less than 1/3 of a conventional lead-battery. But: I wonder if it's worth the money...
Why do you think about a swap?
At some point, I'm going to have to replace my battery so just doing research into it at this point. If I can save weight and I don't have to tear my car apart to do it in exchange for some money, it might be worth it. In addition, if the battery potentially lasts twice as long, that brings the effective cost down significantly. Also, in the case of anti-gravity, the additional features are worth something extra as well... I like the idea that should my battery ever die, I've got one last jump left to get home or to the shop.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Why a Li battery in a 997? To save weight there are other solutions using standard or AGM batteries. Li is unstable and batteries can (and have) self-ignited...
They do. And to be honest my Ballistic (which has since gone out of business) blew up last weekend at the track.

Cw
Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I like the features of a lithium ion for a collector car that doesn't get driven very often. I have a '67 Mustang and a couple old pickup trucks that so.etimes go months without being started. Even with a battery disconnect switch and occasional trickle charging, that kind of use is hell on a lead acid battery.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I like the features of a lithium ion for a collector car that doesn't get driven very often. I have a '67 Mustang and a couple old pickup trucks that so.etimes go months without being started. Even with a battery disconnect switch and occasional trickle charging, that kind of use is hell on a lead acid battery.
Honestly this is one of the best applications... because even if you let it sit 8 months you can come back and start it. The lead acid battery will self discharge even when disconnected.... a lithium will hold steady at 13.2 for about a year if left disconnected. WE will actually have a version of our older RS-30 that will be pretty cheap in a few months. Won't have the wireless Jump starting... but will be great for the Classics. WE are going to target the Hot Rod Crowd with that model since many don't need the exact OEM fit and just want the lower price.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Seriously! Has anyone heard of or read accounts of an antigravity battery blowing up or catching fire? We have all heard in the news of Lithium-ion batteries catching fire in commercial airliners as well as Tesla type autos. These batteries are huge in comparison to Lithium batteries in a car or motorcycle. I have had my Antigravity batteries in my vehicles since just after the company came on the scene. I keep them fully charged and I am careful when starting a vehicle to not drain the batteries not that they could catch fire if I did. I need to see evidence, hearsay is just too unreliable.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed the weight of a passenger when I was getting on the track more often than I do now. But certainly more bang for the buck in reducing unsprung weight.

Last edited by ColoradoMark; 04-19-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-20-2019, 02:39 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Honestly this is one of the best applications... because even if you let it sit 8 months you can come back and start it. The lead acid battery will self discharge even when disconnected.... a lithium will hold steady at 13.2 for about a year if left disconnected. WE will actually have a version of our older RS-30 that will be pretty cheap in a few months. Won't have the wireless Jump starting... but will be great for the Classics. WE are going to target the Hot Rod Crowd with that model since many don't need the exact OEM fit and just want the lower price.
Let us know when you do put that battery on the market. A group buy or forum discount would be great and I could probably use 3 or 4 of them.

And one for my boat and one for my wave runner and maybe one for my dad’s boat and... .

Quick Reply: Experience with Lithium Ion Battery for 997.2