Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure, 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:18 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

When the oil is warm, 200 degrees, what pressure do you see at idle?
When the car is at 3k rpm what do you see?
The pressure is kind of dependent on the rpm so seeing 5bar Oil Pressure at 3.5k RPM is normal.
Seeing 5 bar on cold oil is normal.

It's fine, even preferred by some to run the oil below the full mark I aim for mid way.
I only add oil wen the warning light comes on. It's better to run a little low than a little high.

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
Awesome information everyone, thanks! The Bruce, you described perfectly my exact circumstances and I would be inclined to follow your remedy suggestion. I am not necessarily equipped with "tools" but I am willing to learn and in fact, want to get more involved with some basic home maintenance for education and cost savings!

I checked oil levels during the event and discovered I was one segment below the full reading. After I got home, I rechecked, had the same reading, and added the appropriate amount of oil to bring it back to the full level.

During driving, like today for example, when letting off the accelerator into my parking lot at work, the gauge dropped from 5 down to around 3.5ish, floated up to 4 on throttle and then again back up to 5 where it has been when back on the gas.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

After reading through this again and seeing my oil pressure gauge at 1 1/2 bar with the engine off and sitting overnight, I decided to call my indy again to ask about it. He said it is not uncommon for a car to show residual oil pressure even after sitting overnight or longer.
@G.I.G. I've seen residual pressure before but its only been for a minute or two, typically if you start the car then shut down, and restart. If you gauge is reading 1.5 bars with the engine off its likelya bad gauge.

@turbodogs02 - the manual doesn't have much specified on this topic except for "pressure should be a minimum 3.5 bars at 5k rpm". My pressure will typically be 4-5 bars when im on the gas. Oil temp has a big impact on the pressure e.g. when the engine is cold and the oil is more viscous I will show 5 bars when idling; however, as it gets up to operating temp it will idle around 1.5 bars. And, if im blasting through the hills with my oil temp at 225F it will idle around 1 bar. I polled some 997.1 owners and most said their cars idled between 1 and 3 bars at 200F, so I think everyone gauge has some variation.

What you typically should see during AutoX is your oil pressure decreasing as the oil losses viscosity. If you are seeing the opposite its something to investigate.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@G.I.G. I've seen residual pressure before but its only been for a minute or two, typically if you start the car then shut down, and restart. If you gauge is reading 1.5 bars with the engine off its likelya bad gauge.
Bad gauge or bad sensor? I'm assuming you meant sensor, but just wanted to confirm. Yeah, having that kind of residual pressure over a day seems odd, but everything else I've observed when the car is running seems normal.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

A scan tool (Blue Driver, Durametric, iCarsoft, etc.) that shows real time oil pressure would be a way to suss out what's going on.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Trubodog how did the oil change go did you find the problem?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

*** update ***

Ok, so I had an oil change done yesterday at my local indy shop. I've been driving the car all week, and the previous weekend, and on Tuesday of this week the oil pressures appeared to be resuming normal operations. Wednesday I again confirmed that everything seemed to be back to normal, i.e. 5 bar under throttle, back down to between 3.5 or less at idle and with a warm engine. After explaining what had been going on previously but mentioning that things seemed fine again, indy changed the oil and found nothing out of the ordinary. I should add here that I didn't have them pull the oil pan or anything further, as I wanted to just start with the basic service and see what they thought. They didn't seem to alarmed, and with everything seemingly back to standard operations, I guess neither am I. Given the wide range of, but generally the same, oil pressures everyone has mentioned it would seem I'm in the ok range too.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My gauge has worked intermittently for a few years now. Sometimes it's always pegged at 5. When it's working it works well per the manual's specifications. Haven't bothered to get around to fixing it - I'm usually more focused on the oil temp.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

good to know that your oil problems are behind you
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
good to know that your oil problems are behind you
Literally!

We'll see what the next autocross may yield. Hopefully nothing more than quick times and upright cones!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Old 05-02-2021, 01:59 PM
McJeeper
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but glad to see it here. I bought my '08 T4S in Indiana a few months ago, flew up there, and drove it home to Austin, TX over a long weekend. It was a wonderful intro to my first 911, but I was fretting the oil situation the whole time. Meaning well (to have the car perfect for me) the PO WAYYY overfilled the oil. I learned about this the day after, and threatened his very life to go get it drained to the correct level.

I arrived in IN the next morning to find the oil level at the top of the guage - I was good with that. From there on, I maniacally checked the oil every 100-150 miles. Readings after different idle times yielded wildly varying measurements - was it burning oil, OMG bore scoring!; was it underfilled, OMG catastrophic failure! on and on...

On the first morning, at the hotel in Memphis, the bottom oil bar was flashing. Holy crap! What have I done?!? It took 1.5 quarts before it settled in at the middle of the guage. Off I went, with my stomach churning the whole time. Again, stop and check every 100-150 miles, knowing a had a frunck full of Mobil 1 bottles just in case. Have I bought a time bomb? The oil level has never moved again. Damn the temp, damn old or new oil, damn time sitting, rock solid one bar below full. Phew!

Now to this thread - my oil pressure are rarely consistent or predictable. After the oil level settled in on my road trip, it was pretty good -1.5bar at idle, 4 at 4k, commensurate at rpms in between. Since being home, 1, 3, 5 bars at idle; 3, 4, 5 at speed who knows what you'll get. Same before and after oil change at my indy. They cut open the filter and said it was clean as a whistle and that was a great car. I've since stopped worring about pressure, but watch the (rock solid) level closely. Although I've stopped worrying about the pressure, I sure would like it to perform like any other car I've ever owned, like my old a** Jeep or Cayenne TT.

​​​​​​Long walk on a short pier to the question... Should I experiment and change the oil pressure sensor, do another oil change to flush things out, or just tape over the pressure guage and drive blissfully unaware?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
After reading through this again and seeing my oil pressure gauge at 1 1/2 bar with the engine off and sitting overnight, I decided to call my indy again to ask about it. He said it is not uncommon for a car to show residual oil pressure even after sitting overnight or longer.
Was you mechanic talking in general terms or the M97 (or 9A1) engine in particular ? I'm pretty sure with all the journal clearances, maintaining oil pressure of a few pounds for more than 10 seconds or so would not be possible (with hot oil or cold).

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure, 997.1