Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride comfort on 997.2 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

>I always thought coil-overs were for "higher" performance adjustability. can they be dialed down to give a more compliant ride also?
Street use coil overs is what you want. Not race or track oriented one's
>how does one choose between Bilsteins, Koni, KW?
Any of these brand name one's that are specifically designed to work with 997 for street use. You can tell if they say this one works with pasm and this one works without pasm on their websites..KW V3 has good reviews for ride comfort hence I suggested that..
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bzalforno
thanks for all of the replies.
the car has no PASM, button, but does have sport and sport Plus buttons. i have popped those on for shorter trips, where the highway has been repaved recently. what a blast.

wheels are 997 5 spoke Carrera OEM's, tires are brand new Michelin PS4 S. I used to put PS2's on my other cars, but reviews for the new PS4 S 18" were great for comfort. plus much longer tread life. there has been a noticeable improvement in ride quality from the 19's with Conti's.

I always thought coil-overs were for "higher" performance adjustability. can they be dialed down to give a more compliant ride also?
how does one choose between Bilsteins, Koni, KW?
i would rather spend it once, and correctly. it's a pretty big install. this car will be my last 911, and will go to my 30 something son down the road.
iMO, thePS4S on 18" wheels is a good move for a non PASM . That size is the base wheel size, and from what I've read, Porsche designs their base suspension for the base wheel size. In any event, I'm sure your son will be very happy . Mike
Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Well, you addressed my one suggestion, which would be to run 18" wheels with the resulting taller tire sidewalls. As Petza mentioned, tire brand has a lot to do with your ride, too. I haven't run on my new PS4s yet (had them I stalled over the winter but haven't swapped back to my summer wheels yet) but my butt does notice a difference in ride quality when I go from 18 to 19 and vice versa. My 18" tire is a Bridgestone all-season.

Maybe try an all-season tire on your 18" wheel instead of a summer performance tire. The sidewall stiffness of a more performance-oriented tire may be contributing to your perceived harsh ride.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd try lightweight 18s and new tyres, and if that doesn't help, then a lot of the 911 chaps in the UK like to run the Swedish Öhlins R&T adjustable coilovers, which you can set up for a controlled and comfortable ride.

I can speak from some experience as I run Öhlins on my other car, which gets used in the winter and also goes out on the track.

I have the TPC Racing magic box and H&Rs on the 997, and it's very smooth and controlled, surprisingly wafty when you're not charging about.

Quick Reply: Ride comfort on 997.2 carrera