Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[SOLVED] Engine chugs during acceleration after 2700 RPM.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019 | 10:43 AM
Grahf16
AutoX

Default [SOLVED] Engine chugs during acceleration after 2700 RPM.

Good morning. Last night just driving the car normally, my car started chugging once I accelerate (like I'm stabbing the throttle). I thought it would settle overnight but still the same problem. The car doesnt do it on idle or when it's at speed, and there is no check engine light. Has anybody else experienced a similar issue? Please help

Edit: I managed to fix the problem by running idling the car with the gas cap opened for a few minutes, because I believe the issue was vapor lock. If anybody runs into this issue, I suggest you do the same and hopefully that solves the problem.

Last edited by Grahf16; 03-31-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 03-31-2019 | 12:39 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Interesting.... does this mean a vac line is clogged or a filter somewhere is clogged?

Cw
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:18 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Its your gas cap. I don't believe running with the cap off did anything. It was just the act of screwing it back on with a proper seal. Might have just been kinked or the seal on the cap might be dried out.

Happened to me a couple times. Once I kinked the cap after a fill up. Another time I have no idea. But both times pulling over and screwing the cap back on solved it and/or filling up with gas. In my maintenance records I saw the prior owner had the same issue and replaced the cap.

There are a couple threads on RL about it. Some of the smarter guys on here can explain why but I assume it the cap isn't sealed properly it creates a vacuum leak.

Ps - and welcome to RL! New 997?
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:36 PM
Grahf16
AutoX

TheBruce, thank you for the heads up. I'm just glad it was not anything serious.

Yes, silver 997.1 C2S purchased at the end of February.

So far, I've had the shifter cable snap on me, and I replaced them with the Numeric Racing shifter cables so I won't ever have to deal with it again. The forums has been proven to be both a life saver in a pinch as well as a place for comfort, especially compared to watching the horror stories on Youtube for 997 ownership.
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Welcome! An excellent color choice :-)

Yes, as Mark Twain said: reports of the M97 death are greatly exaggerated...

The first month of ownership I was scared to death thinking I bought a money trap. 30k miles later as my DD its probably the best deal I will ever get on a car. Puts a smile on my face every time I get on the onramp. The only mechanical issues were items I knew I could likely have to replace on a 10yr old car. More importantly, its been a lot of fun to work on and the parts are cheap.

The things you will likely need to keep an eye to replace:

- check your coolant expansion tank closely for cracks.
- water pump every 5 years
- new starter/alternator cable if you get a sluggish start when the car is hot
- keep an eye on those rear tires. the inside tread will wear down much faster than outside and the tire is so wide you can't see it unless you get on all fours.
- some guys have clutches go to 100k, others at 50k
- strut mounts can go at 60-100k. you will hear a knock or rattle on bumpy roads.

Just keep it below 4k until your oil temp is over 200, change the oil every 5k (and inspect the filter) and drive the **** out of it.

Enjoy!

Old 03-31-2019 | 02:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 133K miles

I had a check engine light with no symptoms... it was the gas cap. I forget the code but buying a new cap solved it.

Another time I had a check engine light, again no symptoms... it was the oil cap.... this time it was my fault as I cross threaded it. No need to replace, just don't be so stupid next time.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-01-2019 | 08:35 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I had a similar problem after my PDK clutch oil change. The car ran terribly, I took it back to the dealer and they kept it for a day until they found that
I had inadvertently not tightened the oil cap, after I had changed the oil. The dealer was so close to me I never noticed the problem until I left after
the procedure.

Quick Reply: [SOLVED] Engine chugs during acceleration after 2700 RPM.