Sponsored by:

Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:51 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifting

Manual C4 here. I have a theory that I wanted to run by the group. Last year I aligned my shifting cables and they were pretty decent. Over the winter I installed new engine mounts and now the shifting is not so great. Do you think the engine mounts shifted the engine, and trans, slightly so now it should be realigned?

I have also wanted to change the manual trans fluid with hopes it would help a little too.

Looking forward to you $.02 - tia
Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I think old old engine mounts introduced a lot of flexibility/movements. I would compensate for some cable trany/engine interaction. If you installed semi solid engine mounts like RSS (I hope) it would explain due to extra rigidity My theory.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:11 PM
avonted
Instructor

Originally Posted by kisik
I think old old engine mounts introduced a lot of flexibility/movements. I would compensate for some cable trany/engine interaction. If you installed semi solid engine mounts like RSS (I hope) it would explain due to extra rigidity My theory.
Thank you. So would you agree to readjust the cables and change manual trans fluid?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

You can try re adjusting again. Do a small change, a click or two. Go for a few days and check. When cold, the first gear will always be slightly more work to engage. Be gentle and patient. You can change tranny fluid. Porsche only.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:55 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my 10 year old, only 25k mile mounts with some RSS semi-solids. I immediately noticed the car seemed more "connected". I had to adjust my shifting a bit due to what I assume is the extra rigidity and the engine flopping around less.

That said, I don't think the shifting has degraded at all, though a little different and a bit more sensitive to throttle / clutch input.

Originally Posted by kisik
Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 AM
avonted
Instructor

I ordered the fluid and will do a change as soon as I get it. I will also realign the shifter. These things, on top of the NE Ohio weather getting better (hopefully sooner than later), I am sure will make a difference.

Quick Reply: Shifting