ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts
Default LSPI - Superknock

Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

This is a way nearer fire than long term engine wear. Apologies your post was buried but I'm bumping to help others and including some new information posted by Charles Navarro.

He provided this PDF link in another thread.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/ar...Q218_42-46.pdf
Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
This is a way nearer fire than long term engine wear. Apologies your post was buried but I'm bumping to help others and including some new information posted by Charles Navarro.

He provided this PDF link in another thread.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/ar...Q218_42-46.pdf
I doubt LSPI is an issue on our flat6 engines, if the engine is not bogged down by the driver. I am not concerned about this either in the German 2L turbocharged engines offered by VW, Audi, Porsche, MB, and BMW, when properly driven.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:11 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

It's a new subject to me but the PDF as I understood it shows that high levels of calcium and sodium in motor oils were the cause (at least hypothesized) of LSPI. Reduction of these and the addition of moly eliminated the occurrence of LSPI in the engines noted.

As opposed to 'bogged down' it was long periods of idling where there was increased fuel dilution followed by a hard acceleration created the prefect storm for LSPI. That alone should change a lot of driving habits (it will mine). They didn't define long - but some large intersections where I live can take several and up to 10 minutes to clear during rush hour.

"A long, low speed idle followed by a hard acceleration at full throttle is the perfect condition for an LSPI event –
increased fuel dilution of the motor oil followed by high cylinder pressures."
Old 05-31-2019, 04:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
It's a new subject to me but the PDF as I understood it shows that high levels of calcium and sodium in motor oils were the cause (at least hypothesized) of LSPI. Reduction of these and the addition of moly eliminated the occurrence of LSPI in the engines noted.

As opposed to 'bogged down' it was long periods of idling where there was increased fuel dilution followed by a hard acceleration created the prefect storm for LSPI. That alone should change a lot of driving habits (it will mine). They didn't define long - but some large intersections where I live can take several and up to 10 minutes to clear during rush hour.

"A long, low speed idle followed by a hard acceleration at full throttle is the perfect condition for an LSPI event –
increased fuel dilution of the motor oil followed by high cylinder pressures."

Fuel dilution is an issue with idling when the engine first starts and is cold. Once warm, idling does not cause fuel dilution. LSPI is an issue on 1L engines which are more prone to being bogged down with sudden throttle transitions. In any case on/off binary throttle actuation is not the right way to drive, even though, many do it, because they have not learned the meaning of being smooth.

Quick Reply: LSPI - Superknock