Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob did not unlock door - need glove compartment item (but no alarm going off)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 04:30 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Key fob did not unlock door - need glove compartment item (but no alarm going off)

I'm trying to prevent further aggravation but still get something out of the glove box.

Car has not been driven for a few months but the battery's on a tender.
About a week ago, the key fob unlocked the door lock.

Today, the key fob did not open the door lock. The key fob LED did light when the unlock button was pressed. Attempting to open the frunk with the key fob was also not successful.

I thought perhaps the key fob battery was low (it's a CR2032). So I opened up the key fob and, of course, I broke the locater pins that hold the circuit board innards in place when putting it back together.

I need to open the door to get something out of the glove compartment.

What's the best way to legitimately de-arm the alarm system and unlock the door? Just use the physical key? I seem to remember unlocking the door with the key and opening the door led to the alarm going off - which I shut off with key fob back then - but now, because the key fob is broken, I don't have readily available.

What's the short term and long term hassle free way to get to the glove box? I'm already on a search to buy a new key fob case (I've already replaced it once).

Once I've retrieved the glove box item and closed the outer door, how can I set the alarm without the key fob?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:21 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think you'll be able to rearm, unless you've programmed passive arming with a durametric or similar, but to get into the car open the door with the key and then put it into the ignition which should also turn the alarm off.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Mike5070
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Once you start the car the key fob should re engage, mine does the same after every winter.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Popkid
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't say if you have a .1 or .2 On my 997.2, the remote key standby always deactivates after 7 days automatically (this is stated in the manual, so standard behaviour) you have to unlock the door with the key (don't actually open door, to avoid the alarm sounding), then the key buttons work again, not sure if .1 behaviour is the same?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Popkid
You don't say if you have a .1 or .2 On my 997.2, the remote key standby always deactivates after 7 days automatically (this is stated in the manual, so standard behaviour) you have to unlock the door with the key (don't actually open door, to avoid the alarm sounding), then the key buttons work again, not sure if .1 behaviour is the same?
this^^. My 997.1 behaves exactly the same, after 7 days, the fob deactivates and you must unlock using the physical key in the door. After unlocking physically, fob will then work as usual unless not used within 7 days again.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Thank you all for your advice. Before I read the "7 day fob deactivate" post, I unlocked the door with the physical key and when the alarm sounded, I stuck the key in the ignition switch and then the alarm stopped. I retrieved what I needed and closed the door and was able to lock the door and arm the alarm with the key fob. Thank you again!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Chef Sheff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah after 7 days you need to use the physical key in the door lock to unlock, then RIGHT AWAY hit unlock on the key fob to disarm the alarm from going off after about 10 seconds

Quick Reply: Key fob did not unlock door - need glove compartment item (but no alarm going off)