Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeing more 997.2 failures? I am...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM
bazhart
User

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Bruce, Lokasil was the solution to their problems of fast machining a block with high silicon only in the areas of the cylinders and helped them recover their finances but created some minor issues that damaged the reputation of that model run.

But once they abandoned Lokasil they didn't need the high pressure castings and so they could return to a closed deck block, get rid of the IMS, remove the crankshaft overhang at the flywheel end and machine all the crankshaft bearings and RMS in one pass making sure they were all in line. All of these earlier issues were not good design practice (including the IMS sealed bearing) and they got rid of them all in one go, making a much better cylinder block and engine (although more expensive to produce).

Baz
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by bazhart
Bruce, Lokasil was the solution to their problems of fast machining a block with high silicon only in the areas of the cylinders and helped them recover their finances but created some minor issues that damaged the reputation of that model run.

But once they abandoned Lokasil they didn't need the high pressure castings and so they could return to a closed deck block, get rid of the IMS, remove the crankshaft overhang at the flywheel end and machine all the crankshaft bearings and RMS in one pass making sure they were all in line. All of these earlier issues were not good design practice (including the IMS sealed bearing) and they got rid of them all in one go, making a much better cylinder block and engine (although more expensive to produce).

Baz
Interesting... I would have loved to witness the design meetings back circa 1995 when they made the trade-off decisions. They had to know the risks they were taking and trade offs they were making.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

LOCKASEAL

Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I see what ya did there!! ^^
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I just ordered some Driven DI40. Got an email that said it was backordered from LN. Hope the "2 weeks" prediction is correct. I need to do an oil change soon.

Hoping the switch will give me peace of mind and work to protect the engine better.

Thanks for the info.

David
Old 03-07-2019, 06:17 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
An IMS shaft to transfer energy in an engine is not problematic. Porsche has been using an intermediate shaft successfully since the '60s. The problematic part was a "lifetime" sealed bearing at one end. The original, 30 year IMS design had a plain bearing at each end. A plain bearing is a pressurized oil fed bearing. Speculation is that Porsche did away with the oil feed on one end to cut costs (it is "correct" at the other end BTW). Baz notes that the "best" option is to install an oil feed system... what the engine should have had all along. The "repair" from Porsche should have been to redesign this bearing. Instead, they designed an entirely new block. Why they did this and not fix the M96/M97 block is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe some new innovations came along such as eliminating the shaft among others but I just don;t know and have not read much about this decision.

Like you, I wonder why Porsche waited 10 years to truly fix the problem, especially when they were finally making so much darn money. This, I believe, was a strategic decision to "cash in" on the brand. The brand carried the ill will through this period. This is of course a risky business decision but they did the "right" thing from the investor's perspective. In other words, they delayed the true repair to save even more hard money at the possible expense of hurting the brand (which apparently did not happen). Heck, I had two failures and then what did I do? I rewarded them by buying another. If I felt there was another substitute, I would never have purchased another one but there are really no short wheel base, relatively light, multi-use, unique looking, luxury sport cars out there. (Actually Porsche isn't either, its become a GT car, but that is another flame-invoking subject.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I believe the issue was that prior to the 997 the engine was partially hand built and the block was in two pieces. This allowed for a passage for high pressure oil to feed the transmission end of the engine. The 996/997 is a one piece cast block and there is no way to cast the block with an internal oil passage. So one end still has the high pressure oil bearing and the other end got an oil seal from a cracker jacks box.

Last edited by user 72902; 03-10-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 AM
bazhart
User

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

With Porsche reportedly probably going out of business in the early '90's and the family reportedly stumping up the main to try and save the company and with the biggest issue being extremely old fashioned production methods and engine designs not suited to modern mass production techniques - the "rescue" had to optimise a relatively small cash injection to cover the cost of tooling and production methods that quickly turned a profit.

Designing an engine for multiple capacities was part of the plan to optimise tooling but also using the same heads for both banks was another obvious way to half costs - but meant they had to have a drive from both ends of the cylinder block.

I think this is why they ended up with the overhung flywheel end and that end of the IMS needing support at the flywheel flange end of the block where it would indeed be costly to drill long holes in to provide an oil feed (or the additional cost of external feeds).

I think this is probably why we ended up with the IMS bearing.

However the shaft could have had a solid oil fed bearing inboard and allow the chain sprockets to overhang.

I still have no idea why it had seals (or more accurately shields) except if it was to prolong shelf life to increase production runs by protecting the bearing from dust and the elements or why after fitting the much larger and more solid later bearing - it retained those shields unless it was to make sure the bearing was free from condensation between building it and someone buying and driving it?

Both the cylinder block and crank carrier are of course in 2 parts each.

Baz

Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
We are all getting older :-)
Speak for yourself LOL!

Tom
Old 03-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Jacko007
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 cooked

Finally bought my 1st Porsche. 2009 9114S. From a dealer last year. 60,000km.... 1 year to the date I start it up for a 1st spring drive and rough idle. Have it towed in to dealership (not one I purchased from) and apparently I have to replace the short block. $ 70,0000 for the car an a year later 14k for engine work.
CPO of course ended last July (4 months after purchasing). So Unhappy... never a warning light, noise nothing. It had under CPO both cooking fans replaced (seized), high pressure fuel pump (failed), new brakes, new cooling lines (with fans),.. this was my “get into Porsche car” ... drive for a couple years and move up to a 2013 or up...
Old 03-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacko007
Finally bought my 1st Porsche. 2009 9114S. From a dealer last year. 60,000km.... 1 year to the date I start it up for a 1st spring drive and rough idle. Have it towed in to dealership (not one I purchased from) and apparently I have to replace the short block. $ 70,0000 for the car an a year later 14k for engine work.
CPO of course ended last July (4 months after purchasing). So Unhappy... never a warning light, noise nothing. It had under CPO both cooking fans replaced (seized), high pressure fuel pump (failed), new brakes, new cooling lines (with fans),.. this was my “get into Porsche car” ... drive for a couple years and move up to a 2013 or up...
What was the issue? Very sorry to hear you’re dealing with this. I’m surprised you can get a short block for $14k. You should talk to the dealership you bought it from and ask about Goodwill and their help.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:54 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Speak for yourself LOL!

Tom
ha!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

Any discussion of Toyota and Porsche should also include the Boxster. Boxster saved Porsches **** but is was the Toyota engineers they hired to teach them how to cut costs and make it very profitable. Transaxel era hurt Porsche real bad and they needed a lower cost car. And to bring the 911 back.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:16 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

What really stabilized the company before VW took over Porsche was the introduction of their Cayenne and then moving into the luxury sport sedan market with the Panamera. The sports car market, whether the 911, the Boxster or a Corvette, is extremely cyclical and dangerous to a company that makes only sports cars.

Now that Porsche makes more SUVs than sports cars, will the brand lose focus and be just another luxury brand?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Jacko007
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

What was the issue? Very sorry to hear you’re dealing with this. I’m surprised you can get a short block for $14k. You should talk to the dealership you bought it from and ask about Goodwill and their help.
Pretty sure this is ending up with lawyers.. Quebec dealership... Im in Alberta (canada)... Dealer here told me $14K as "worst case" ... They will have everything apart Monday... Bought this 2009 for the 997.2 engine, no IMS etc etc.. I do have an email from selling dealer saying they had "misfires" on test and they did 40 over revs in stage 1... im thinking this issue started at this point and I drove it until this complete failure...
So horrible for a 1st and maybe last Porsche...
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
LOCKASEAL

Quick Reply: Seeing more 997.2 failures? I am...