Sponsored by:

Used Car Registration and Fee Questions in California

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Used Car Registration and Fee Questions in California

Hi all. I'm wondering if someone can help me with some registration-related questions in California. Thanks in advance!

We're trying to figure out are the Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees in section 2B of the car-purchasing paperwork the dealers prepared. In the last 3 years we purchased 3 cars from different dealers, and while these three purchases all have similar purchase prices (all within $3k of each other before sales tax), the fees under sections 2B aren't similar at all.

2016 - Purchased pre-owned 2013 Cayenne from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $350 and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $0.
2017 - Purchased new 2017 Macan from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $397, and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $92.
2019 - Purchased pre-owned 2012 Carrera from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $404, and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $312.

For our latest purchase, we received the registration/plates yesterday, and to our surprise, the registration is only good until June 2019 (we purchased it last month, January). According to DMV, the registration month is correct as it follows the previous owner's register month. As for the fees, DMV indicated only $15 was paid to transfer the title, but the dealer charged me $312 for registration/transfer/titling fee. Does the remaining amount go to some other DMV-related fees?

Thanks for all feedbacks!!

Last edited by o'bluetouring; 02-12-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CA DMV fees

- Sales tax is based on registration address/county
- licensing fee/term should be from month/year since last paid (by prev owner)
- title transfer fee is $15

dealers will typically collect around $200-250 to do the paperwork
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by o'bluetouring
Hi all. I'm wondering if someone can help me with some registration-related questions in California. Thanks in advance!

We're trying to figure out are the Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees in section 2B of the car-purchasing paperwork the dealers prepared. In the last 3 years we purchased 3 cars from different dealers, and while these three purchases all have similar purchase prices (all within $3k of each other before sales tax), the fees under sections 2B aren't similar at all.

2016 - Purchased pre-owned 2013 Cayenne from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $350 and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $0.
2017 - Purchased new 2017 Macan from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $397, and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $92.
2019 - Purchased pre-owned 2012 Carrera from dealer. Vehicle License Fee was $404, and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fee was $312.

For our latest purchase, we received the registration/plates yesterday, and to our surprise, the registration is only good until June 2019 (we purchased it last month, January). According to DMV, the registration month is correct as it follows the previous owner's register month. As for the fees, DMV indicated only $15 was paid to transfer the title, but the dealer charged me $312 for registration/transfer/titling fee. Does the remaining amount go to some other DMV-related fees?

Thanks for all feedbacks!!
It is confusing - why not ask your dealer for the detail of the charges.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:54 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchased my Yukon last April in Ventura county and paid $500 plus in DMV fees. I later received a check from the dealer for overpayment of the DMV fees. I have no idea why and don't care to partake in Cali's tax schemes again.

I moved back to PA and paid $145 for registration, title transfer and AAA service fee.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedbacks everyone. Hopefully the numbers are right or maybe we'll get a refund check as pointed out.

The finance manager from the dealer didn't respond to my calls but I'll definitely track him down. I would mention it to my sales but he has his hands full with my other "demands" so we didn't want him to loss focus (it's a CPO purchase and I just received the second key today, after 5 weeks, and still waiting for the owner's manual).

Quick Reply: Used Car Registration and Fee Questions in California