Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone change your window seal gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone change your window seal gasket?

My gaskets seem to be failing and wanted to swap these out but i'm finding no DIY or any other posts on this..

Part:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7RUBS.html
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious, what symptoms/signs make you think those are failing?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe you would have to disassemble the door, and remove the glass? I am having this done as part of repair my car had due to vandalism, but I think they are doing it due to the damage the glass shattering had done.
On a side note after every wash the windows would have a greasy film right near the side view mirrors, both sides, when I asked my indy, he though it was "normal"
Old 02-11-2019, 08:43 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I replaced mine because they were getting rough, flakey, old looking and discolored.
Super easy, no tools required, no disassembly required, but be prepared to bend the old part while removing. These have a metal/wire mold inside to keep rigid. Once you start pulling on it, and you will need to pull hard, it most likely will bend the old part. There is no way to get it back to perfect after that. Which is fine because you will replace it with new one.

Removal. Not too much care is needed here, just some muscle.

Roll down window..
1. Start at door handle. (Take note how flush the end of the gasket sits to the end of the door, take photo, you want to try and duplicate fitment)

2. You will pull slightly up, but mostly in towards the interior of the car.

3. As it begins to let go and you get 3/4 of the way towards the car door mirror you will then pull "back" towards rear of car to pull the front end out from it being tucked into the door corner by the mirror.

Install.... Care is needed and some soap to help the piece slide into place easier, but it will be tight...

1. The idea is that you want to slide the gasket into position, but be careful how much force you use or you may bend this too. Once it is bent with too much force... you will need to buy a new one. $100

2. Apply soap along the edge this will slide on. Try to get the front point of the gasket started and sliding onto the door about mid way or more. If you start the front point from the back of the door you will most likely bend it while trying to slide it from so far back. Try to get it halfway on to the door before pushing/sliding with too much force.

3. Push gasket on and slide forward simultaneously with determination. Take it too slow and you may get stuck. It really pinches and grabs as you get closer to front mirror edge. The last few inches can be a pain sliding it on. With good soapy lube it should be easy though.

4. You may want a water spray bottle near by to help soap if it begins to stick or dry too quickly.

5. Slide on until rear of gasket is flush with door ending. Similar to photo of old one.

That's it.. wash off any soap..

Shouldn't take more then 10 minutes. 1 minute to pull old one off.... 9 minutes to slide new one on being careful... If you have a good slippery edge, probably go on faster.

Take pics to show how ya did it

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-13-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

On a side note after every wash the windows would have a greasy film right near the side view mirrors, both sides, when I asked my indy, he though it was "normal"
I have the same issue when it rains. I rest my arm there when the window is down and assumed it was oil from my skin.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I replaced mine because they were getting rough, flakey, old looking and discolored.
Super easy, no tools required, no disassembly required, but be prepared to bend the old part while removing. These have a metal/wire mold inside to keep rigid. Once you start pulling on it, and you will need to pull hard, it most likely will bend the old part. There is no way to get it back to perfect after that. Which is fine because you will replace it with new one.

Removal. Not too much care is needed here, just some muscle.

Roll down window..
1. Start at door handle. (Take note how flush the end of the gasket sits to the end of the door, take photo, you want to try and duplicate fitment)

2. You will pull slightly up, but mostly in towards the interior of the car.

3. As it begins to let go and you get 3/4 of the way towards the car door mirror you will then pull "back" towards rear of car to pull the front end out from it being tucked into the door corner by the mirror.

Install.... Care is needed and some soap to help the piece slide into place easier, but it will be tight...

1. The idea is that you want to slide the gasket into position, but be careful how much force you use or you may bend this too. Once it is bent with too much force... you will need to buy a new one. $100

2. Apply soap along the edge this will slide on. Try to get the front point of the gasket started and sliding onto the door about mid way or more. If you start the front point from the back of the door you will most likely bend it while trying to slide it from so far back. Try to get it halfway on to the door before pushing/sliding with too much force.

3. Push gasket on and slide forward simultaneously with determination. Take it too slow and you may get stuck. It really pinches and grabs as you get closer to front mirror edge. The last few inches can be a pain sliding it on. With good soapy lube it should be easy though.

4. You may want a water spray bottle near by to help soap if it begins to stick or dry too quickly.

5. Slide on until rear of gasket is flush with door ending. Similar to photo of old one.

That's it.. wash off any soap..

Shouldn't take more then 10 minutes. 1 minute to pull old one off.... 9 minutes to slide new one on being careful... If you have a good slippery edge, probably go on faster.

Take pics to show how ya did it

Thanks, rennlist working

Quick Reply: Anyone change your window seal gasket?