Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Taillight lens repair ?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Aeromat209
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 997.2 Taillight lens repair ?

Asking if anyone else has had to try and fix a taillight that was allowing water into the lens causing intermittent error message?

I was getting an intermittent error on the computer for Ck Taillight function. Turned out there was a crack along the bottom of clear section tapering into the red part of lens . Upon washing car water collected inside the housing . I removed the lens assembly and drained water out then used a hairdryer to vacancy condensation . I then used clear nail polish to fill in or seal the crack . The light is intermittent .
Half the led's work the fat end intermittent
the back up light works when car is in reverse.
brake light works intermittent but only on the fat end
I checked the single clear bulb if the previous owner might have changed and the resistence might be off but no joy same as the other taillight.
Looks like I may have to replace the whole driver side taillight assembly for $610. plus tax
Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 PM
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're sure you've fixed the crack you could find a donor light and replace the internal PCBs. Those are probably shorted. After taking a part a couple of these it is not easy and you may have to melt the housing. Really this is just one of those you may need to pony up the coin and bite the bullet.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 AM
hexagone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will be selling a pair of 997.2 tail lights that have cracked exterior lenses - but the insides are good. LMK if you're interested.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Gary Black
User

I had the same problem - first on driver's side then on passenger's. I was also doing the quick fix of: pull the light, drain it and seal the crack (the separation of the clear and red lenses). In the end, I bought OEM lights and replaced them. Very happy now that this is fixed for good.

I bought from EuropaParts https://www.europaparts.com/tail-lig...763141305.html and everything with the order was hassle free

GB
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 PM
BruceWarne
User

This is a cross post.

I have a driver side rear available. However, it has what looks like a cataract - the clear portion's lens seems to have somehow separated from the red and has turned dull. I don't see any obvious cracks, but I assume that's what happened. Except for this it was working perfectly when I replaced it a few weeks ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: