Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 PM
asuresh8
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my 911 sight unseen from RAC Performance, flew into Dallas, and drove 2000 miles home. It was the most painless buying experience ever, and the car was in excellent mechanical condition. I definitely would recommend buying a used Porsche from them.

OP, that's a tough situation. They should have taken your initial offer. They didn't handle this situation well at all.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Been thinking about this thread a lot over the past few days, as posting about my experience at RAC got me fired up all over again even though it was over a year ago.

Anyway I wanted to come back and add that there is a great alternative to RAC in the DFW area called Dallas Motorsports (located in Wylie). I have nothing but positive things to say about these guys. I went out there to look at a 997.1 that I had no intention of buying (wrong color, vert, auto etc) mostly just to meet the guys and try to form a relationship with someone who could help me buy my first 911. They spent a lot of time with me, answering questions and giving advice. Eventually I told them exactly what I wanted, they began a search for me. If they found a car that fit the bill and they were satisfied with the answers they got to questions from the seller, they'd bring it to me and we'd discuss the car/history/price etc. Once we found one I liked, they arranged for the PPI, the sale, and the transportation.

Since then I have taken my car to them a couple of times, once for an oil change and then another time to fix the "slow start when warm" issue and do a couple of very minor mods. Both of those interactions with them were also very positive.

All that is to say, there is really no reason to deal with RAC in any capacity when Dallas Motorsports exists about 30 minutes away. Great bunch of guys who seem to geniunely love cars and helping other people get in on the fun.

Edited to add that I’m very sorry to hear about your wife and I wish you both the best of luck, and that’s far more important than any car or dealership.
X1000 on Dallas Motorsports. Carl and Jonathan are 2 of the most sincere guys you will meet and are truly the definition of going "above and beyond".

We found them via the Mavs and Mochas group page, after complaining to the group about a bad experience we had at RAC. Several Mavs members pointed us to Dallas Motorsports. We eventually bought our GT4 from Carl as well.

They are "out in the country" and likely don't get the walk-in traffic they deserve, but a more honest car shopping experience you won't find anywhere. They also consign for a very reasonable fee.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Hans was my service provider when they PPI'd a stunning 997.2 GTS for me. I did not take the car, but did not have a bad experience dealing with Hans. The other dealership that had the GTS, they were ridiculous. They sold the car for $500 less that I was willing to pay because they couldn't wait for a month for me to get back from deployment to bring the check in myself.
I remember; you were looking forever. Did you settle on a TT?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,336 Posts

So glad I didn't buy the one I was looking at from them. Got a bad vibe off of them just from the phone and website.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:04 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried again recently to resolve this with RAC Performance after the Texas DMV Enforcement Division, AG’s Office weighed in but Solomon & Jacky choose to ignore it.

I will update the community as things proceed.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts
Default RAC

Originally Posted by asuresh8
I bought my 911 sight unseen from RAC Performance, flew into Dallas, and drove 2000 miles home. It was the most painless buying experience ever, and the car was in excellent mechanical condition. I definitely would recommend buying a used Porsche from them.

OP, that's a tough situation. They should have taken your initial offer. They didn't handle this situation well at all.
This is a near identical experience to mine from May 2019, except I only had to drive 850 mi. back home. I found a great Carrera C2 with them, but perhaps we were lucky. I was given great customer service from Tristan. Sorry that wasn't so many people's experience
Old 04-26-2020, 08:23 PM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 119 Posts

Well I guess I should chime in.. I just bought a GT3 from another nearby reseller.. PPI went by fine at RAC.. not bought from under me..thank goodness.
I had another PPI on a 14 Cayman S … went fine... Hans polite and PPI seemed thorough... I think Hans used to be owner? co owner? but now just runs the service shop..
They do have a cool selection of NA cars.. sales staff seemed fishy to me too though..
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 PM
bullet6236
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So glad I found this thread. Thought I was going crazy dealing with Hans, service, sales....this place is a wreck and I failed to see the cracks through the cloud of prior reputation! Wow. The final take away is scary. They are basically not capable of working on p cars. I have a long list of repairs that are still being evaluated and has proved very frustrating. Man...just crazy. ok. Happy to chat with anyone that wants to do biz with these folks.

Caveat Emptor.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:48 AM
Txtonyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted a recent experience in the 991 Hot For Sale thread here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post17444626

Just keeping this topic updated since it appears the 997 group had similar experiences. On a reply to my google review, RAC indicated this "investor" is also a "collector" which is bogus. What "collector" has a pristine car shipped on an open carrier several hundred miles and then resells (what admittedly was just a 911s, nothing particularly rare to me) it in 3-4 weeks. They confused "collector" with "flipper" in this case.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:27 AM
preoctavian
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my GTS from Tristan last summer. Good experience and excellent customer service.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Eric Stevenson
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sold my 997.2 Turbo to Jacky @RAC.. Worked with Tristan on payment and transport. They were super patient with me as the title took 6 weeks to arrive after we had already agreed on a price. Car went out to Texas on carrier yesterday. I will also do business with RAC in the future and am looking for a 991 Turbo now.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:08 PM
bullet6236
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Stevenson
Just sold my 997.2 Turbo to Jacky @RAC.. Worked with Tristan on payment and transport. They were super patient with me as the title took 6 weeks to arrive after we had already agreed on a price. Car went out to Texas on carrier yesterday. I will also do business with RAC in the future and am looking for a 991 Turbo now.
Glad you had a positive experience. I think there is less opportunity to screw things up if you are a seller and agreed to a price. Would be curious to hear more about the car and the transaction price.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:11 PM
NC997.2S
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

I had found the exact 997.2 C2S I wanted (yellow, aerokit, manual, Sport seats) in Atlanta, and the day before I called, it was bought by RAC and put on a transporter to them. I called ahead, telling the sales person (I don't remember whom) that if the car PPI'd cleanly, I'd give them the cost of the car (I knew the shop they'd bought it from, so I knew what they'd paid), plus shipping, plus 10%. I thought this a pretty fair offer for exactly zero work on their part. Boy, was I wrong.

RAC told me that they wouldn't let me PPI with anyone that wasn't on their "approved list," of which none of the shops with good reputations on Rennlist appeared, and I'd need to put $5,000 down (NON-REFUNDABLE) for the privilege of having ANY shop PPI the car. Further, they were planning on listing it for 25% over their total cost, and "already had a list a mile long" ...for a car that hadn't even made it into their inventory, yet. But, the salesman graciously continued, if I put that $5,000 down...

Needless to say, RAC are a bunch of scumbags and they have permanently earned my ire and will never see a dime of mine, I don't care what the circumstances are. Reputation is everything, and they have earned their black mark in my book forever.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

There's a real Jekyll/Hyde personality with RAC that comes out of buyer's experiences that seems to be weighted on the Hyde side. While your experience is truly disappointing, NC997.2S, if I read it correctly, RAC bought the car before you committed to it with the (Porsche?) dealer? If so, you were in a poor bargaining position from the start- no honor among thieves. But I completely agree that a dealer who practices no refund deposits and restricted PPIs needs to be avoided on principle.

When I found my 997.2 with RAC 2 yrs ago I had a good experience with Tristan, but I based my comfort level on the DME report he sent me. Was I lucky, or was it legit? He also told me they found my car at a Lexus dealer who took it on trade, which was likely. Their business model appears to be creating a network with other dealers with an understanding RAC will pay at the top of market for cars that, while desirable for us, are just a problem to be solved for a non-Pcar dealer.

It turns out my car was as good as presented and 30K miles later it's solid and sweet. But 2 yrs ago was a very different market than today, I think. With BAT driving up market prices and having no skin in the game as far as any guarantees associated with the sales, Porsche dealers desperate for used inventory in an atmosphere of strong demand, things are pretty nutty out there. I really think if I was in the market today I'd only look here, the PCA site and for individual sellers. And give myself a 6 month window for the search.
The following 2 users liked this post by Butzi 997:
Eric Stevenson (07-19-2021), hatchetf15 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:23 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

^^^^ Butzi 997 is exactly on point. The market is the market and we adapt to it or defer until conditions change. Crucial to know who you’re dealing with before dealing with them. That’s why the opinions on this RL network are so valuable...even the ones I don’t agree with.

Quick Reply: RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE