Sponsored by:

Would you buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy this car?

I signed a purchase agreement on a 2007 C2S (Silver/Terra Cotta, 45k mim manual clean carfax) and wired the balance of the $40,500 I'd agreed to pay for the car after hearing that the PPI I'd paid $630 for (including bore scope) went well. I requested the scoping because the driver side exhaust has a reasonable amount of soot, and the passenger doesn't.

I finally received the DME yesterday and I'm stunned by the over rev report. See attached. Additionally, the invoice (see attached) recommends $5,000 worth of work. When I brought this up with the (Porsche) dealer they said there's evidence of a past oil leak but none now, and basically tried to walk back anything the inspecting tech said.

In addition to this there are some minor paint and interiors concerns which they're addressing, but overall I'm starting to get the impression that this car has been beaten on.

I suspect I alread know the answer here, but do I walk away here?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't know that I would worry about the over revs. It was literally one and 2 ignitions in those zones. And it's obviously been many many hours ago when the issue occurred. If damage was done, you'd likely know by now.

The other work looks like a "major" service interval work order. The clutch is probably due at that mileage anyhow. Are they doing that work with the sale? Or in addition?

Cw
Old 01-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

There is nothing to be concerned about with those over-revs. That thing has hardly been bounced off of the rev-limiter. Research the way over-revs are counted. All of those over-revs could have been counted during one slightly spirited drive up an on-ramp. That car has hardly been driven, much less beat on.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, honestly those rev ranges wouldn’t worry me, especially (like was said) they are from many hours ago.

What did the scope show? I passed on a silver ‘05 in a PPI because I asked to have the oil filter pulled and inspected and found a lot of metal particulates. That car had no over revs.

The car I settled on had no particulates at all but overrevs similar to yours (though no 5/6 range), and ive since had a few Blackstone analysis’ done and they tell me it looks great.

To the maintenance items, all but the clutch and RMS are things ever car owner has to do at some point and is expected back from any PPI on almost any car of that mileage.

Just my opinion though....
Old 01-26-2019, 04:46 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

They want to charge you 3k for the clutch (reasonable/a little high) and an ADDITIONAL 1.2k for the RMS? The RMS can be done at the same time as the clutch and it should only be a few extra minutes to remove and replace the seal. The over rev report would not worry me. Sounds like a nice car at a good price.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

When you consider the engine is capable of over 7000 rpms, that is over 10 per second. So those high revs were for a duration of a fraction of a second. The price seems high to me. You could get a 2009 997.2 for not a lot more.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Good Lord, you were "stunned" by that report? This just goes to show how far overrev hysteria has reached. That report is nothing for a 6-speed car with 45k miles, and the blips in ranges 4-6 are almost guaranteed to be glitches.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I don't know that I would worry about the over revs. It was literally one and 2 ignitions in those zones. And it's obviously been many many hours ago when the issue occurred. If damage was done, you'd likely know by now.

The other work looks like a "major" service interval work order. The clutch is probably due at that mileage anyhow. Are they doing that work with the sale? Or in addition?

Cw
No, in addition. I'm not as concerned about the high ranges because as you pointed out there are so few. It's the total that concerns me.

Originally Posted by Arctic997
There is nothing to be concerned about with those over-revs. That thing has hardly been bounced off of the rev-limiter. Research the way over-revs are counted. All of those over-revs could have been counted during one slightly spirited drive up an on-ramp. That car has hardly been driven, much less beat on.
I've been doing a lot of that

The other similar cars I've seen DMEs on have had range 1s in the hundreds at worst, very few 2s and no 3s or above.

Originally Posted by Slc801
Yeah, honestly those rev ranges wouldn’t worry me, especially (like was said) they are from many hours ago.

What did the scope show? I passed on a silver ‘05 in a PPI because I asked to have the oil filter pulled and inspected and found a lot of metal particulates. That car had no over revs.

The car I settled on had no particulates at all but overrevs similar to yours (though no 5/6 range), and ive since had a few Blackstone analysis’ done and they tell me it looks great.

To the maintenance items, all but the clutch and RMS are things ever car owner has to do at some point and is expected back from any PPI on almost any car of that mileage.

Just my opinion though....
The bores didn't show "any abnormal wear" but the work order actually says they could only reach 4 cylinders via the sump.

Originally Posted by jeebus31
They want to charge you 3k for the clutch (reasonable/a little high) and an ADDITIONAL 1.2k for the RMS? The RMS can be done at the same time as the clutch and it should only be a few extra minutes to remove and replace the seal. The over rev report would not worry me. Sounds like a nice car at a good price.
It is a Porsche dealer, so I'm not stunned by the price. I thought so too, but I still feel like there are lots of warning signs here.

Originally Posted by Balr14
When you consider the engine is capable of over 7000 rpms, that is over 10 per second. So those high revs were for a duration of a fraction of a second. The price seems high to me. You could get a 2009 997.2 for not a lot more.
I get it but they're still there. Porsche's official position is that any range 4-6 over-revs void the warranty, so if nothing else it concerns me for future resale potential.

Looked at .2s but manuals are much harder to find and it seems to be about a $5-12k difference depending on mileage/options differences.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Good Lord, you were "stunned" by that report? This just goes to show how far overrev hysteria has reached. That report is nothing for a 6-speed car with 45k miles, and the blips in ranges 4-6 are almost guaranteed to be glitches.
It's very different from every other car I've looked at, and they didn't mention it at any time. I certainly haven't seen as many as some of you folks but 2k is as high as I can remember seeing.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly not trying to be mean here but you might want to consider new cars. The things you’re worried about come with the used car territory and price range you’re looking at.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Also, thank you all for your replies. This is my first 911, and by far the most I've spent on a car. I do appreciate the reassurance.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slc801
Truly not trying to be mean here but you might want to consider new cars. The things you’re worried about come with the used car territory and price range you’re looking at.
I don't take offense. I've been researching 07-08 C2S for about a year, and I'm aware of the potential maintenance costs and issues. I'm primarily concerned about catastrophic problems. As I've said, the stats above are remarkable for the cars I've looked at, which includes an 08 with almost 60k miles. My concern is getting a car that's been abused.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

There are plenty of cars out there maxed out at over 65,000 range 1s, passing leakdown/compression/borescope tests and running like new. As mentioned, 2000 range 1s could be racked up by a spirited drive one afternoon. There is nothing in that report to indicate abuse.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skwerl
There are plenty of cars out there maxed out at over 65,000 range 1s, passing leakdown/compression/borescope tests and running like new. As mentioned, 2000 range 1s could be racked up by a spirited drive one afternoon. There is nothing in that report to indicate abuse.
Alright... I appreciate the reassurance. It sounds like a series of yes answers to my question lol.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

You got a really good PPI, and the cylinders passed despite the "flawed" DME. Overall the car sounds like it has some common issues that can be corrected and if you're handy, you can do the entire servicing (not including the clutch/RMS) by yourself for $200-300. But if the DME report is going to keep you up at night you should move on to the next! You are doing this process correctly so I am confident you will find a good example that checks all your boxes.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this car?