Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 AM
burnurass
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 52 Posts

As long as there is no snow/ice on the road you are fine. Just take it easy, drive gently with smooth inputs. Give yourself extra space for braking as everyone has said. The tires will warm up slowly but it'll be fine. Leave the stability on, sport mode off :P
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I asked thus same question about a month ago and decided I'm driving my car on summer tires as long as the roads are dry. Since then I have been driving it an average of 3 days a week, with temperatures between 25 and 36. Most of my driving is on suburban streets and roads, so under 50 mph. I did not find it necessary to change my driving style or take any unusual precautions other than allow more room for braking (just in case).
Old 01-17-2019, 01:55 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,326 Likes on 1,913 Posts

For perspective just drove my new to me 987.2 Spyder 2500 miles from Seattle to South Texas end of Nov. plenty of mornings woke to 20 deg weather...just be careful and you’ll be fine.

Related, head out on Cup2s in chilly morning temps here in the winter and am just very carefull on throttle inputs until later in the day...never an issue with 650hp on tap.

Just to be clear...we’re talking 90 miles here, right?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

If the tires are relatively new and the roads are free of snow and preferably dry then drive it. Just don't give it too much has on ramps and turns. Just pretend you're driving all seasons on snow.

Flat, dry, sunny, warmed up tires? Not a huge issue but be careful.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Some good input here, guys. Seems like the majority of folks are saying to go for it and drive it home as long as the cold is not too bad, and there is NO snow or ice. I won't know the conditions until I get home, but Feb weather usually sucks in Mass/RI.
I did find a local hauler who does all the flatbed luxury transport for the local exotic car dealers. He quoted me about $250 for pick up and delivery and would only need a couple days lead time. He didn't want to deal with snow either, but I think the dealer will cut me some slack and give me some time to work this out.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a coworker that rides motorcycles year round. In DC traffic. We're talking very aggressive sports bikes of the very expensive variety. If he hasn't killed himself yet, I'm sure you'll be fine but if you aren't comfortable then just do what feels right.

If I could bet money on it, I'd bet on you not screwing up your own car over some random hauler.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:39 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by stripersteve
I did find a local hauler who does all the flatbed luxury transport for the local exotic car dealers. He quoted me about $250 for pick up and delivery and would only need a couple days lead time. He didn't want to deal with snow either, but I think the dealer will cut me some slack and give me some time to work this out.
No brainer for me, under the circumstances. Regardless, post pics when the time comes and let us know what you did.

Quick Reply: Transporting new purchase