Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:49 AM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
Electric car is really good
...for a second car.

Yes, for a second car.. Not the first one..
I'd say it theother way around. We have a 997.2 6mt and a Tesla. Fun driving and my short commute to work = 997. Commuting to work on i95 in stop/go traffic, trun on the Tesla autopilot and relax. The Tesla is smooth, quiet and 'refined'. The 997 is loud, bumpy (h&R springs) and 'raw'. Road trips in the Tesla are easy to do with supercahrgers and the nav computer calculating where to stop and how long to stop for shortest trip.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by heatz
I'd say it theother way around. We have a 997.2 6mt and a Tesla. Fun driving and my short commute to work = 997. Commuting to work on i95 in stop/go traffic, trun on the Tesla autopilot and relax. The Tesla is smooth, quiet and 'refined'. The 997 is loud, bumpy (h&R springs) and 'raw'. Road trips in the Tesla are easy to do with supercahrgers and the nav computer calculating where to stop and how long to stop for shortest trip.
exactly. Model 3 for primary car, takes the abuse of daily driving, saving the 997 for occasional fun trips.

Model 3 is fairly sporty, quick in traffic, smooth, convenient if you charge at home, and more comfortable for passengers if well driven.

And if you had a performance model 3? On Michelin SC2, M3P driven by Randy Pobst essentially ties the lap time of a GT4, both getting around 1:21s. That should be plenty sporty for daily driving and the occasional autocross or spirited drive.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I loved Tesla when it started here in Silicon Valley, eons ago, as a an EV 'skunk works' enterprise. It all went down to hell when Elon took it over from its founder, and making it a cult enterprise with all the ills misplaced-cults have.
THIS.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I loved Tesla when it started here in Silicon Valley, eons ago, as a an EV 'skunk works' enterprise. It all went down to hell when Elon took it over from its founder, and making it a cult enterprise with all the ills misplaced-cults have.
Some might say the same about Porsche when they started making water-cooled 911s and SUVs.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=
2. If everyone charged their cars at night the US power grid would collapse unless an enormous amount of money is spent to substantially upgrade the system.

Is that a fact ?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just like it is a fact that if everyone in India and China jumped up at the same time our earth will change orbit..
Old 01-20-2019, 05:03 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm always amused by the environmental impact statements of people arguing over ICE vs electric cars. If you want to be environmentally friendly, don't buy a new car. Buy used or drive what you have.

There's a guy here in north Houston with a "No CO2" license plate on his Model S. I laugh at every time I see it because the guy is deluding himself. I'm sure the same guy laughs at me for having a small pecker, or something. LOL.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:15 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=gulshan;15565472]
Originally Posted by
2. If everyone charged their cars at night the US power grid would collapse unless an enormous amount of money is spent to substantially upgrade the system.

Is that a fact ?[/QUOTE

Yes. Just like it is a fact that if everyone in India and China jumped up at the same time our earth will change orbit..
There is some value in power draw. I'll give 2 examples. In the UK, there is a tv program that a large portion of the country watches. At the end of the show, the theme song comes on which kicks off with a set of drums. Once those drums start, there is a bloke who is responsible for balancing the power draw which requires drawing power from France to account for all the people getting up and turning on the kettle.

Secondly in Sydney, Australia, when the weather us extremely hot we get brown outs due to everyone having the aircon on to combat the heat.

As the population moves towards electric cars, there are real possibilities of electric shortages unless infrastructure keeps up.

But kidding yourself that you're saving the planet by buying a new electric car is scandalous.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
But kidding yourself that you're saving the planet by buying a new electric car is scandalous.
I think the main contention is that it reduces your carbon footprint, for which your only viable basis for comparison is the environmental impact of creating the batteries.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I think the main contention is that it reduces your carbon footprint, for which your only viable basis for comparison is the environmental impact of creating the batteries.
Don't forget they also burn a lot of coal to get electricity
Old 01-21-2019, 01:34 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Which is a practice that should have ended years ago. There are many metropolitan areas around the world that rely on renewable and sustainable energy sources to create electricity and have more than adequate capacity. Yes, there are many metropolitan areas that couldn't handle electric cars. But they already struggle to meet current needs due to poor planning and inadequate investment.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (for the year 2017), the percentage of electricity generated by coal was 29.9% (and hopefully that percentage will continue to drop).

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Try this on one of these golf-carts, Tesla and similar:

Old 01-23-2019, 03:45 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Balr14
Which is a practice that should have ended years ago. There are many metropolitan areas around the world that rely on renewable and sustainable energy sources to create electricity and have more than adequate capacity. Yes, there are many metropolitan areas that couldn't handle electric cars. But they already struggle to meet current needs due to poor planning and inadequate investment.
In the USA fossil fuels (natural gas and coal) are around 60%, nuclear 20%, and renewable about 17%. Nothing is wrong with fossil fuels, it's energy on tap, if it's so bad for the environment we should suck it out of the environment and burn that stuff!!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nova997
Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (for the year 2017), the percentage of electricity generated by coal was 29.9% (and hopefully that percentage will continue to drop).

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Fossil fuels (coal and natural gas) are the bulk 60% and the rest about evenly split between nuclear and renewables. I bet those renewables are even worse from an efficiency standpoint if you dig into all of the energy expended to get it.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Fossil fuels (coal and natural gas) are the bulk 60% and the rest about evenly split between nuclear and renewables. I bet those renewables are even worse from an efficiency standpoint if you dig into all of the energy expended to get it.
And in addition... they are not a product of fossil remnants. The stuff is currently produced under the earth's crust in areas where animals/plants never treaded.

It's all a false religion and bad/fraudulent science, but it's very difficult to argue about religions, especially fake ones.

Quick Reply: 997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla