997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla - Page 12 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla

 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 AM
  #166  
heatz
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han View Post
Electric car is really good
...for a second car.

Yes, for a second car.. Not the first one..
I'd say it theother way around. We have a 997.2 6mt and a Tesla. Fun driving and my short commute to work = 997. Commuting to work on i95 in stop/go traffic, trun on the Tesla autopilot and relax. The Tesla is smooth, quiet and 'refined'. The 997 is loud, bumpy (h&R springs) and 'raw'. Road trips in the Tesla are easy to do with supercahrgers and the nav computer calculating where to stop and how long to stop for shortest trip.
heatz is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 PM
  #167  
loungin
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by heatz View Post
I'd say it theother way around. We have a 997.2 6mt and a Tesla. Fun driving and my short commute to work = 997. Commuting to work on i95 in stop/go traffic, trun on the Tesla autopilot and relax. The Tesla is smooth, quiet and 'refined'. The 997 is loud, bumpy (h&R springs) and 'raw'. Road trips in the Tesla are easy to do with supercahrgers and the nav computer calculating where to stop and how long to stop for shortest trip.
exactly. Model 3 for primary car, takes the abuse of daily driving, saving the 997 for occasional fun trips.

Model 3 is fairly sporty, quick in traffic, smooth, convenient if you charge at home, and more comfortable for passengers if well driven.

And if you had a performance model 3? On Michelin SC2, M3P driven by Randy Pobst essentially ties the lap time of a GT4, both getting around 1:21s. That should be plenty sporty for daily driving and the occasional autocross or spirited drive.
loungin is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM
  #168  
SpeedyD
User
 
SpeedyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 831
Default

Originally Posted by ADias View Post
I loved Tesla when it started here in Silicon Valley, eons ago, as a an EV 'skunk works' enterprise. It all went down to hell when Elon took it over from its founder, and making it a cult enterprise with all the ills misplaced-cults have.
THIS.
SpeedyD is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:51 PM
  #169  
rickdogg82
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rickdogg82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by ADias View Post
I loved Tesla when it started here in Silicon Valley, eons ago, as a an EV 'skunk works' enterprise. It all went down to hell when Elon took it over from its founder, and making it a cult enterprise with all the ills misplaced-cults have.
Some might say the same about Porsche when they started making water-cooled 911s and SUVs.
rickdogg82 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:33 PM
  #170  
gulshan
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
Default

[QUOTE=
2. If everyone charged their cars at night the US power grid would collapse unless an enormous amount of money is spent to substantially upgrade the system.

Is that a fact ?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just like it is a fact that if everyone in India and China jumped up at the same time our earth will change orbit..
gulshan is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:03 AM
  #171  
flgfish
User
 
flgfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 140
Default

I'm always amused by the environmental impact statements of people arguing over ICE vs electric cars. If you want to be environmentally friendly, don't buy a new car. Buy used or drive what you have.

There's a guy here in north Houston with a "No CO2" license plate on his Model S. I laugh at every time I see it because the guy is deluding himself. I'm sure the same guy laughs at me for having a small pecker, or something. LOL.
flgfish is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 PM
  #172  
FZP
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 152
Default

[QUOTE=gulshan;15565472]
Originally Posted by
2. If everyone charged their cars at night the US power grid would collapse unless an enormous amount of money is spent to substantially upgrade the system.

Is that a fact ?[/QUOTE

Yes. Just like it is a fact that if everyone in India and China jumped up at the same time our earth will change orbit..
There is some value in power draw. I'll give 2 examples. In the UK, there is a tv program that a large portion of the country watches. At the end of the show, the theme song comes on which kicks off with a set of drums. Once those drums start, there is a bloke who is responsible for balancing the power draw which requires drawing power from France to account for all the people getting up and turning on the kettle.

Secondly in Sydney, Australia, when the weather us extremely hot we get brown outs due to everyone having the aircon on to combat the heat.

As the population moves towards electric cars, there are real possibilities of electric shortages unless infrastructure keeps up.

But kidding yourself that you're saving the planet by buying a new electric car is scandalous.
FZP is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 AM
  #173  
Balr14
User
 
Balr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI.
Posts: 451
Default

Originally Posted by FZP View Post
But kidding yourself that you're saving the planet by buying a new electric car is scandalous.
I think the main contention is that it reduces your carbon footprint, for which your only viable basis for comparison is the environmental impact of creating the batteries.
Balr14 is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 AM
  #174  
Austin997.2
User
 
Austin997.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 592
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14
I think the main contention is that it reduces your carbon footprint, for which your only viable basis for comparison is the environmental impact of creating the batteries.
Don't forget they also burn a lot of coal to get electricity
Austin997.2 is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 AM
  #175  
Balr14
User
 
Balr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI.
Posts: 451
Default

Originally Posted by Austin997.2 View Post
Don't forget they also burn a lot of coal to get electricity
Which is a practice that should have ended years ago. There are many metropolitan areas around the world that rely on renewable and sustainable energy sources to create electricity and have more than adequate capacity. Yes, there are many metropolitan areas that couldn't handle electric cars. But they already struggle to meet current needs due to poor planning and inadequate investment.
Balr14 is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM
  #176  
Nova997
User
 
Nova997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 231
Default

Originally Posted by Austin997.2 View Post
Don't forget they also burn a lot of coal to get electricity
Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (for the year 2017), the percentage of electricity generated by coal was 29.9% (and hopefully that percentage will continue to drop).

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Nova997 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 PM
  #177  
ADias
Super User
 
ADias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,212
Default

Try this on one of these golf-carts, Tesla and similar:

ADias is online now  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 AM
  #178  
Austin997.2
User
 
Austin997.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 592
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14
Which is a practice that should have ended years ago. There are many metropolitan areas around the world that rely on renewable and sustainable energy sources to create electricity and have more than adequate capacity. Yes, there are many metropolitan areas that couldn't handle electric cars. But they already struggle to meet current needs due to poor planning and inadequate investment.
In the USA fossil fuels (natural gas and coal) are around 60%, nuclear 20%, and renewable about 17%. Nothing is wrong with fossil fuels, it's energy on tap, if it's so bad for the environment we should suck it out of the environment and burn that stuff!!!!
Austin997.2 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:49 AM
  #179  
Austin997.2
User
 
Austin997.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 592
Default

Originally Posted by Nova997
Per the U.S. Energy Information Administration (for the year 2017), the percentage of electricity generated by coal was 29.9% (and hopefully that percentage will continue to drop).

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
Fossil fuels (coal and natural gas) are the bulk 60% and the rest about evenly split between nuclear and renewables. I bet those renewables are even worse from an efficiency standpoint if you dig into all of the energy expended to get it.
Austin997.2 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 AM
  #180  
ADias
Super User
 
ADias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,212
Default

Originally Posted by Austin997.2 View Post
Fossil fuels (coal and natural gas) are the bulk 60% and the rest about evenly split between nuclear and renewables. I bet those renewables are even worse from an efficiency standpoint if you dig into all of the energy expended to get it.
And in addition... they are not a product of fossil remnants. The stuff is currently produced under the earth's crust in areas where animals/plants never treaded.

It's all a false religion and bad/fraudulent science, but it's very difficult to argue about religions, especially fake ones.
ADias is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: