Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual exhaust tips for 997.2 Carrera base?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 01:49 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Dual exhaust tips for 997.2 Carrera base?

Hi all,

Realize this is likely a stupid question, but my searches didn't turn up anything so here goes. I'm looking to replace the single outlet exhaust tips on my base Carrera with some dual outlet tips. I simply prefer the look of the dual outlets. My question is, is there a potential performance penalty associated with this change? Like I said, probably a stupid question, but having looked at a few different exhaust tips online several look like they may be somewhat restrictive to the exhaust flow when compared to the straight single outlet tips.

Ok, with that out of the way, any recommendations on which exhaust tips to buy? Are some used Carrera S tips my best bet?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:05 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 997.1 Carrera S tips on my 997.2 C2. Not sure if it affects performance but I highly doubt it.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:28 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If there is a performance reduction, it is well below any possible measureable amount.

On a 997.2, the pipes are exactly the same size, so base and S tips are interchangeable. I bought a pair from a member here, and have done the switch myself.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Thanks to both of you. Figured that it was very unlikely there would be any performance impact. Will be on the lookout for some used S tips on the marketplace.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Fabspeed Quad tips on mine for 6 years now, and love the rolled edges and unique look to them:
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...SABEgLKIvD_BwE

they come in chrome, carbon fiber and satin black
Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These are much cheaper than the Fabspeed ones and probably from the same manufacturer.. Occasionally Vertex has a coupon around major holidays for a slight discount.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-9...-p-529269.aspx
Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The Fabspeed tips look awesome - especially the carbon fiber ones. However $600+ exhaust tips are probably a bit beyond what I need. I'm sure they are well made and worth it though. The Schnell tips look like to be at about the right price point though. Want to see if I can find some installed pics first, but will likely grab a pair. Will post a review to this thread when/if I get them.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2019, 04:55 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

Bumping this old thread to share my experience with a couple of different brands of exhaust tips.

I ended up ordering the Schnell tips in chrome from one of the many vendors who seemed to be selling them under various names. As near as I could tell, these are branded Schnell, Racing Dynamics, or sometimes simply "OEM style" from various vendors. I can't be sure they are exactly the same product in all cases, but the seem to be using the same photos and the price point is uniformly between $250 and $275. Anyway, once I received these tips I found them to be well enough made for exhaust tips. However, the fitment was extremely poor. First, the mounting bolts were welded up such that they could only be tightened from the top of the tip. If you attempt to install these you will quickly realize that the top of the tips is not accessible without removing the rear bumper cover and who knows what else (I did not attempt it). Second, the tips were quite a bit longer front-to-back than the OEM tips. As a result the backs of the tips contacted the exhaust on the inboard side of the tips. You would have to cut away a few millimeters from the back of the tips to get a good, well aligned fit. Finally, the ID of the tips did not match the OD of the exhaust. Two sizes of shims were provided to reduce the ID of the tips, but the OD of my exhaust seemed to be right in between the sizes achievable with the two shims. So, long story short, I sent the tips back. Thankfully the vendor was professional and the service was good.

Having sent the lower cost tips back for a refund, I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing the Fabspeed tips in carbon fiber finish. When I received them it was immediately clear that the quality was on another, much higher level (as I guess you'd expect for more than 2X the cost). Extremely well made product. Fitment was spot on. Took less than 5 minutes to install, whereas rectifying the issues with the cheaper tips would have probably taken a couple of hours. No I realize looks are subjective, but I think the Fabspeed tips look awesome on my car. A couple pictures attached below.

TLDR - Don't cheap out, buy the good stuff.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Maybe a dumb question on my part, but regarding the bolts on the tips you sent back...

...if you switched sides, wouldn’t the bolts point down?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:58 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Yes, but the tips are slash cut top to bottom, and also constructed such that the outboard tip is shorter than the inboard tip. I tried flipping them, flipping them over and switching sides, etc. After enough fiddling it was clear to me that there only one way they are meant to go on.

That said, I won't rule out the possibility that I am simply an idiot However, as I was able to get the Fabspeed tips on in minutes, I think that the mounting hardware was just welded on upside down on the Schnell examples that were set to me. It is entirely possible that I was just sent the wrong tips by the vendor, but they did look like the picture online.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:00 PM
preelude
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks great! I have the same tips and completely agree about the quality, top notch!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

A couple of photos of the issues with the Schnell tips. First photo shows the how the head of the allen bolt faces the top of the tips. The nut is welded in the bottom, so you can't simply reverse the hardware. The second photo shows how the back edge of the inboard tips contacting the exhaust leads to wonky alignment (see the "fish eye" look). I didn't see any way to fix this without trimming the tips. Again, it is possible that I was simply sent the wrong tips by the vendor as the box was unlabeled as to the intended vehicle. Nonetheless wanted to share these issues so others could make an educated purchasing decision.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by preelude
Looks great! I have the same tips and completely agree about the quality, top notch!
Thanks! Your car looks amazing. After seeing your car, I'm seriously considering buying some satin black wrap and trying my hand at recreating the "GTS look" on my rear bumper.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Ah, I see. Thanks for the pics. It appears that the Schnell tips are just a bad design.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My apologies for the bad tip. No pun intended. I have two sets of the Schnells and they were both a pain to install. My OEM Base tips were a pain to remove as well. I just chalked it up that it was all around a painfull process. The Fabspeeds on the other hand DO look nice!

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust tips for 997.2 Carrera base?