Sponsored by:

BOSE amp question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default BOSE amp question

I couldn’t find anything with “search” to address this, so hoping someone with same experience can help.

Issue: 2005 C2 with PCM 2.1 BOSE, PCM works except no sound. If I pull both fuses (D9 PCM, D10 amp) for a few minutes and reinstall them, it goes back to normal until the car is shut down for a few hours or overnight, then problem returns, no sound.

So I’m guessing the BOSE amp is dying? I’m thinking of replacing it with a used one (seen them on the Bay for a couple hundred $ w/30-day return if defective). New ones are over a grand, not interested in that nor an aftermarket HU (because I would still need to replace the amp).

So my questions are, where is the amp and what’s involved in changing it out? And would I need to take it in to get it programmed or would a used BOSE amp be a plug and play swap?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ben Z; 12-27-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The amp is in the frunk near the tire tool kit, behind the lower panel. Three connectors on the right side of the amp - one large multi-wire one, a small three-wire connector, and a fiber optic connector. Unplug all three, then slide the amp to the side to remove it. It's pretty easy once you see it.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
The amp is in the frunk near the tire tool kit, behind the lower panel. Three connectors on the right side of the amp - one large multi-wire one, a small three-wire connector, and a fiber optic connector. Unplug all three, then slide the amp to the side to remove it. It's pretty easy once you see it.
Thanks, sounds like a cinch! Do you know if an amp off another car will work without taking the car to have it flashed with PIWIS?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Not positive but looking at Durametric Pro coding screens, there are no options to configure the Bose amplifier itself. Some modules have the VIN number programmed in it. The amp does not. I'd bet good money it would work without programming.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I couldn’t find anything with “search” to address this, so hoping someone with same experience can help.

Issue: 2005 C2 with PCM 2.1 BOSE, PCM works except no sound. If I pull both fuses (D9 PCM, D10 amp) for a few minutes and reinstall them, it goes back to normal until the car is shut down for a few hours or overnight, then problem returns, no sound.

So I’m guessing the BOSE amp is dying? I’m thinking of replacing it with a used one (seen them on the Bay for a couple hundred $ w/30-day return if defective). New ones are over a grand, not interested in that nor an aftermarket HU (because I would still need to replace the amp).

So my questions are, where is the amp and what’s involved in changing it out? And would I need to take it in to get it programmed or would a used BOSE amp be a plug and play swap?

Thanks!

You MIGHT need to have the unit's firmware updated via PIWIS II if from another car and that unit's firmware was below your firmware level. I think you can check which firmware you have by pressing "MAIN" and "TRIP" at the same time for a few seconds and then selecting "amplifier".

Quick Reply: BOSE amp question