New member Bay Area looking for a 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member Bay Area looking for a 997

Hey all,

New forum member saying hello. Long time reader, but just joined officially as I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 997.1 or 997.2. Looking for a PDK or Tip, but open to S/4S/Targa 4S options in stellar condition.

I live in the Oakland/Berkeley CA area and I'm having trouble finding local cars that I want to pursue, either through private sale or dealers at the moment. Found a 997.1 at a well known consignment shop in SF, but doing some digging on them made me not want to move forward. Currently I've expanded my search to the PNW, and found a Targa 4S in WA that I'm considering. Has anyone had experience with Park Place in Bellevue?

Would be most appreciative for any tips on local Bay Area or West Coast cars that might be available but not listed currently, or any suggestions for sources that I've not yet explored.

Looking forward to learning more from the people on here, and hopefully meeting up in-person for some drives in the SF/Bay Area if I can find a good car.

G
Old 12-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the hunt. You have a pretty broad spectrum there. Sounds like you're willing to have almost anything.
I'm in the Bay area and can tell you that I've never needed a AWD and don't like the driving characteristics as much as a RWD.
Also, a big difference between Tip and PDK. Have you driven many of these cars to know what you're looking for?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:54 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, I saw a lot of crappy cars with dead batteries and Burger King wrappers in the foot wells before I found Betty out in Roseville. Be patient. Obviously there’s a monster car culture here and eventually you’ll find a killer example. My prior owner had seven other P-cars. After seeing a bunch of mediocre examples nearby, I finally called him and said “I think you’re my seller”. Keep your eye on CL.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Welcome and enjoy the hunt. You have a pretty broad spectrum there. Sounds like you're willing to have almost anything.
I'm in the Bay area and can tell you that I've never needed a AWD and don't like the driving characteristics as much as a RWD.
Also, a big difference between Tip and PDK. Have you driven many of these cars to know what you're looking for?
Thanks for the welcome.

Not willing to have anything, just open to to some different permutations. Not open to cabs, tan or beige interiors and some other things

Initially I started thinking it would just be a .1 and cheaper as it's going to be more of a weekend ride. Then I started thinking a bit more about longer term as I'd like to hold on to whatever I find for a bit and shifted to .2 as well which is where I'm leaning.. I've driven a few PDK .2s but haven't driven a Tip yet.

I like the wider look of the 4S, and look/versatility of the Targa, but agree that AWD isn't really necessary and an S might fit the bill. Trying to be somewhat flexible doesn't seem like finding a perfect fit is going to be easy.

What's your 997 like?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts

Buy the seller.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SF997S
Yeah, I saw a lot of crappy cars with dead batteries and Burger King wrappers in the foot wells before I found Betty out in Roseville. Be patient. Obviously there’s a monster car culture here and eventually you’ll find a killer example. My prior owner had seven other P-cars. After seeing a bunch of mediocre examples nearby, I finally called him and said “I think you’re my seller”. Keep your eye on CL.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing along with a lot of questionable history cars at dealers. That's why I was checking out the one near Seattle. Obviously it would be a hell of a lot easier to find one within a few hours driving distance. Appreciate the encouragement! Feels like it's getting harder as these guys are getting more popular. I'm not really a 991 fan visually, so that narrows my options.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:34 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

carmax has some really clean 997.1 and .2's right now.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I love the 991 but it’s big. For me the 997 is perfection for the roads around here. I was down the coast and around Alice’s this morning. Heaven.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:01 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gulshan
carmax has some really clean 997.1 and .2's right now.
Thanks. I've been keeping an eye out there too.

Nothing that I've seen in a PDK coupe S or 4S right now that would be a good fit but open to that source. Ideally I'd find something in one of the silver options, but open to other colors too. My current ride is black metallic, and it's a pain to keep clean so black is not a first choice, but haven't ruled it out either.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:16 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a heads up, Search Tempest and IFTTT are your friend when searching for cars on CL. Search Tempest will scour CL and IFTTT will notify you when a new car fitting your criteria is posted. Watch every video on Youtube for the 997 models, usually your taste will evolve when searching for a car, don't rush it.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:10 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome! Good luck on the search. PM me when you have the car and we can show you some of the backroads over in Marin.

I would first recommend expanding the search nationwide. I bought mine in Texas and it was pretty painless to negotiate the price, fly in for a day, coordinate a PPI, and ship it to SF (with Uship.com).

That being said, here are some cars in the area that looked reasonably priced. I have not researched them, or the dealers reps. But if any pass your basic requirements let me know and happy to walk you through some of the things you want to check for.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...9-porsche-911/
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...6-porsche-911/
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...0-porsche-911/

I dont know any indy's in the east bay for PPI but if you are willing to come across the bridge to San Rafael there is a great shop called S-Car-Go.

And merry xmas. You deserve a present so pull the trigger. You will love it.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:06 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Welcome! Good luck on the search. PM me when you have the car and we can show you some of the backroads over in Marin.

I would first recommend expanding the search nationwide. I bought mine in Texas and it was pretty painless to negotiate the price, fly in for a day, coordinate a PPI, and ship it to SF (with Uship.com).

That being said, here are some cars in the area that looked reasonably priced. I have not researched them, or the dealers reps. But if any pass your basic requirements let me know and happy to walk you through some of the things you want to check for.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...9-porsche-911/
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...6-porsche-911/
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...0-porsche-911/

I dont know any indy's in the east bay for PPI but if you are willing to come across the bridge to San Rafael there is a great shop called S-Car-Go.

And merry xmas. You deserve a present so pull the trigger. You will love it.
Thanks! That would be awesome on all fronts. I'm a fairly recent transplant from the East Coast so I would love to know some of the cool driving roads around here.

Yup, I've expanded the search to nationwide and appreciate the heads up on UShip, I wasn't thinking about that vs. the more traditional transporters.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

So I've learned there were a lot of black 997 made/available to buy. Unfortunately, not my first choice.

Anyhow, curious to know people's opinions on a few that I've found when doing a national search:

https://www.isringhausen.com/Invento...tockNum/720086 -price seems a bit high, but condition seems great then again it's spent its life in Midwest

https://www.porscheaustin.com/invent...ab2a95bs720585 - this one is CPO and in Austin, but interior looks like it needs a detail and not seeing service records on Carfax

Not sure if any of you guys are also into grilling/smoking, but searching for cars while a nice pork loin is smoking low and and slow on my Primo ceramic grill.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:31 PM
No Way PDK
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nick2413
Just a heads up, Search Tempest and IFTTT are your friend when searching for cars on CL. Search Tempest will scour CL and IFTTT will notify you when a new car fitting your criteria is posted. Watch every video on Youtube for the 997 models, usually your taste will evolve when searching for a car, don't rush it.

What's your setup?
Old 12-25-2018, 11:18 AM
kitora
Intermediate

I have a gorgeous 2006 Seal Grey Carrera S that I am selling within the next 6 weeks, but it is a rear wheel drive with a 6 speed manual transmission, so it probably isn't what you are looking for.

Happy hunting. There are not many to chose from here in the bay area. I bought mine in Florida and had it shipped here.

Quick Reply: New member Bay Area looking for a 997