Sponsored by:

muffler exhaust bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default muffler exhaust bolts

Bolts that attaches center to side muffler as well as 3 bolts connecting the cats are rusted so bad.
Does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts with secure nuts/washers?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Pretty sure any decent hardware store or even Home Depot will have them. Remember they do not need to be metric, but if you are going to replace them I definitely would go stainless with a little anti seize on the threads.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:04 AM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might give stainless (metric) bolts and nuts a try. Better yet try the stainless cap bolts that will spread the load better. My same bolts keep coming loose so I am thinking of a drop of red locktite on the threads. Any local hardware store will have them. Cheers.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:33 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis R. Cliff
You might give stainless (metric) bolts and nuts a try. Better yet try the stainless cap bolts that will spread the load better. My same bolts keep coming loose so I am thinking of a drop of red locktite on the threads. Any local hardware store will have them. Cheers.
Originally Posted by doclouie
Pretty sure any decent hardware store or even Home Depot will have them. Remember they do not need to be metric, but if you are going to replace them I definitely would go stainless with a little anti seize on the threads.
Can you please give me the right size of bolt and nut that I should get? I noticed 2 different sizes for bolts between Cats and center muffler (smaller 3 bolts/3 nuts)and between center muffler and side muflers (larger 2 bolts/2 nuts)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My go-to source safety net for any Porsche parts is Autoatlanta.com. I've used them many times.. As others may have advised, use an appropriate anti-seize, i.e., with zink, I think. Like the elderly lady in the hot sauce commercial..."I use that s__t on [almost] everything".
Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I misspoke, instead of "cap bolts" I should have said flange bolts and nuts with a flange. With stainless steel, no worries about rust of course, but galling can be a problem where the nut fuses to the bolt threads, so anti seize or something should be used. I do not know the size of the bolts, but if you take your rusted bolt as a sample that should work.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Batman33
Instructor

And another thing: You apparently are wisely planning on having new fasteners on hand prior to removing the exhaust. (I assume removal is you objective.) If you snap any of the six cat-to-exhaust fasteners, its usually no big deal. However, be aware that the three bolts on the exhaust support are actually studs integrated with the support. You snap any of 'em off you got trouble in River City. Ask me how I know. New supports cost a first born child. Luckily, somebody offered me a used set of the supports in exchange for those I took off the car...the ones with one stud snapped off per side!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:14 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Batman33
And another thing: You apparently are wisely planning on having new fasteners on hand prior to removing the exhaust. (I assume removal is you objective.) If you snap any of the six cat-to-exhaust fasteners, its usually no big deal. However, be aware that the three bolts on the exhaust support are actually studs integrated with the support. You snap any of 'em off you got trouble in River City. Ask me how I know. New supports cost a first born child. Luckily, somebody offered me a used set of the supports in exchange for those I took off the car...the ones with one stud snapped off per side!
care to elaborate more? I am not quiet sure what you are referring to
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by onsickm
care to elaborate more? I am not quiet sure what you are referring to
If you are indeed planning to remove the mufflers, there is a support bolted on the side of each muffler facing towards the center of the car. That support is itself bolted to a carrier by three integrated threaded studs, that is, you can't remove the studs...well you're not supposed to be able to, anyway. Those studs (three on each support) line up with holes in the carrier's face. The studs (and thus the mufflers), are secured on the other side of the carrier with nuts. These nuts are hard to get to begin with.

The parts diagrams on the autoatlanta's webpage includes every stinkin' part on just about every Porsche. I have no clue how to link to it hereon, or else I would.

If you still have questions feel free to send me a PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

The studs come out if you whack 'em with a punch. Pop right out as they are just pressed in. Replace with a stainless bolt.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Batman33
If you are indeed planning to remove the mufflers, there is a support bolted on the side of each muffler facing towards the center of the car. That support is itself bolted to a carrier by three integrated threaded studs, that is, you can't remove the studs...well you're not supposed to be able to, anyway. Those studs (three on each support) line up with holes in the carrier's face. The studs (and thus the mufflers), are secured on the other side of the carrier with nuts. These nuts are hard to get to begin with.

The parts diagrams on the autoatlanta's webpage includes every stinkin' part on just about every Porsche. I have no clue how to link to it hereon, or else I would.

If you still have questions feel free to send me a PM.
I see what you are saying now. No I am not replacing these bolts/studs because they look fine to me. I am only talking about the bolts connecting center pipe with side muffler as well as 3 bolt flag connecting to the cats. I believe these are 13MM size
Old 12-03-2018, 07:41 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Fister sells a kit for $10. I bought it when I upgraded my mufflers.

Center to side muffler clamp bolts.

Fister kit costs $10, or match up these carriage bolts at a hardware store.

Last edited by swingwing; 12-03-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
Fister sells a kit for $10. I bought it when I upgraded my mufflers.

Center to side muffler clamp bolts.

Fister kit costs $10, or match up these carriage bolts at a hardware store.
Thanks. What about the 3 bolts that attaches to the cats?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I replaced the cat nuts with the copper exhaust nuts in top of picture. You can find them easily on Amazon. Thread size is M8 x 1.25. If bolts snap off when you're trying to unfasten them, a hammer and punch will remove the stud. If you don't have the Porsche parts handy just use M8 bolts and nuts from a hardware store. Stainless steel bolts may last longer. Don't overthink this - they're just common metric fasteners.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
The studs come out if you whack 'em with a punch. Pop right out as they are just pressed in. Replace with a stainless bolt.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Well there you go. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky.

Quick Reply: muffler exhaust bolts