991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.1 - DONE! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.1 - DONE!

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.1 - DONE!

Old 11-17-2018, 04:06 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 991 Sports Lip / Spoiler Adapter for 997.1 - DONE!

Consolidating all updated info into this initial thread. Thanks to the members who've already installed the kits and shared their photos on this thread.
There are 2 Adapter Kits Available for the 997.1. I've prepared a selection guide and additional info below which should help if you are considering this mod.
Thanks for viewing and please feel free to email [email protected] or PM me with any questions.

Pricing:
KIT A = $239 Shipped to Cont. USA
KIT B = $219 Shipped to Cont. USA
To order please send me your email address and I will forward you a PayPal invoice. International Orders are handles vie eBay's Global Shipping Program.

(Not applicable to vehicles with Porsche GTS, GT3, GT2, Speedster, Turbo or Aftermarket front bumper)
Parts are made in the USA using machines and material produced in the USA.

The OEM Spoiler to be used with this mod is part number is 991505525011E0 and can be sourced from your favorite Porsche Parts supplier.

If you have a 997.2 the Adapter Kit Options can be found on this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...97-2-done.html

For those interested in how the idea of these adapters came about; in 2015 I posted the first use of this 991 Spoiler on a 997.2 albeit using a much more difficult process at the time
Earlier this year I had to replace the spoiler, and decided to design a system using adapters to create a more professional, long lasting and reusable approach.
The original thread can be found in my DIY list here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...iy-thread.html

Using KIT A Ground Clearance after spoiler installation with stock suspension (approx. figures for example only):
Non-PASM vehicles - front lip clearance = 115mm (4.53inches) NOTE
PASM equipped vehicles - front lip clearance = 105mm (4.125 inches)
KIT B provides 10mm extra clearance at center of spoiler and approx. 20mm more at the edges.

Owner responsible for determining suitability of clearance prior to ordering as refunds can not be offered for matters relating to ground clearance. Lowered vehicles may be subject to excessive scraping if not careful with inclines, approach angles etc.

The other major difference was the wing-support and end-cap design. On the 997.2 bumper, there is a curved section that wraps around the end of the spoiler, mostly covering the gap between the end of the spoiler and the underside of the bumper. As the 997.1 bumper does not have this curve, it was necessary to design and end-cap that followed the curvature of the spoiler and provided a nice finished look at the 2 ends of the spoiler as shown below:

Below is the view from underneath (side view)

I also designed 2 wing support clips that leverage the existing cutouts of the 991 Spoiler wings. These ensure that (a) the spoiler remains centered/aligned at all times and cannot move left or right, and (b) ensures the wing sections are fully secured using the same well nuts as the adapter clips.

Lastly I created updated anti-flex clips which are used to stop the spoiler flexing back at high speed.

The 997.1 bumper does not have forward located slots like the 997.2, so the design of this kit required some key changes:

As with the 997.2 kit, the 997.1 kit also does not require the bumper to be removed.
First I modified the adapter clips to to allow for the different force distribution.

The 997.1 bumper necessitates drilling 1 hole for each adapter clip.
I ensured that the adapter clips can be installed without risk of damaging the headlight washer lines using a specially designed depth control tool. This is key as there are several reports on the forums of accidental puncturing of these hoses if screws are used to directly attach the spoiler to the bumper (i.e. without any adapters) .
I also did not want to use screws because (a) it would require far more holes to be made and (b) if the spoiler is impacted and the screws pull out, you would have a hard time re-attaching screws again.

To make it easy to get the holes perfectly located I created a hole guide that allows the required drilling locations to be marked quickly and precisely.

I decided to use well nuts with stainless steel washers and hex cap bolts. The well nuts allow the clips to be secured tightly, but in case of a severe impact, they can dislodge without damaging the bumper, which would make for easier replacement. I believe if in the unfortunate event the spoiler gets hit hard, it is better to sacrifice the clip.
I included 3M VHB tape on certain adapter clips as an extra measure as it helps keep the clips aligned during the installation process and provides extra support.

Depth Control Guide in use - shown below

Well nut fixed in place below:

Last edited by EMC2; 01-06-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:31 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

looks cool! looking forward to your writeup.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 PM
EG997C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks great! The lines may even flow better then on 997.2.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce View Post
looks cool! looking forward to your writeup.
Originally Posted by EG997C2 View Post
Looks great! The lines may even flow better then on 997.2.
Thanks guys. I've updated the first post with more details.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update as I've received several PM's requesting pricing. The kit will be the same price as for the 997.2 version (i.e. $239 incl free priority shipping to cont. USA)
I have a few Rennlisters as part of the final field testing process (providing additional feedback on the documentation and install experience) who will be receiving the first kits in the next week.
Thereafter kits will be readily available for shipment on a first come first served basis.

The OEM Spoiler can usually be sourced for between $175 & $185 excl shipping from your favorite Porsche Parts suppliers.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I received an email asking for clarification on the function of the spoiler wing end caps, so I will post the info here also:
Below is an image of the spoiler installed on its own without any end cap. There is a gap (shown in yellow) which is visible from from certain angles.
The function of the end-cap is purely cosmetic as it is designed to close this gap, whilst maintaining the flow and look of the spoiler (as can be seen in the first post of this thread.
Feel free to email or PM any additional questions.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:00 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI I came across this sale for the OEM Spoiler - only 1 left and currently the lowest online price which includes shipping ($182.79)
No affiliation, and I haven't personally bought from them, but they seem to have good reviews:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-OEM-12-16-911-Spoiler-Wing-Kit-991505525011E0/113045068879?epid=1427943559&hash=item1a5202dc4f:g:IrcAAOSw1blZoH2h:rk:1 f:0
Old 11-24-2018, 11:57 PM
blairb
User

Looks great! Excited to see photos of one mounted on a car.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 PM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blairb View Post
Looks great! Excited to see photos of one mounted on a car.
Thanks. The first few kits have been delivered with more scheduled for this week
As soon as the members receive their spoilers, we'll be seeing some pics.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:35 PM
jondrayton
User

Hi I’m very interested in the kit. Are you willing to ship to the UK?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:06 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jondrayton View Post
Hi Iĺm very interested in the kit. Are you willing to ship to the UK?
Hi
Thanks for the note. I've shipped several 997.2 kits to the UK.
I'm just waiting for an updated import tariff clarification from UK customs as the 997.1 kit includes some different components (well nuts, bolts, allen key and drill bit).
It's been a bit of a nightmare process thus far because there is no obvious existing classification for this kit, and I keep getting quoted exorbitant rates, but I am hoping to resolve soon.

Please send me an email at [email protected] in the interim with your contact details.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 PM
jondrayton
User

Many thanks - have emailed you my contact detail.

Cheers.

Jonathan
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 AM
seewong
User

Looking forward to pictures of it mounted!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seewong
Looking forward to pictures of it mounted!
Me too. There should be some any day now. At least two members confirmed their spoilers have arrived and are just waiting for an opportunity to install over the holidays.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:41 PM
jfort
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Installation COMPLETE . . .

. . . and I couldn't be more pleased. Besides looking better, it has to improve the aerodynamics. The kit design and execution of the kit are top rate. Then just follow the instructions to the letter. I had the benefit of a lift and a good helper, my son. I had read the instructions many times and took everything I thought I'd need since I wasn't at my garage. Painter tape, utility knife, Sharpie marker, transfer punch (but that accuracy was over kill - just make a circle with the marker with the whole template in place and it's close enough but a point of some kind is necessary to keep bit from drifting), duct tape to hold spoiler in place when aligning and marking drill points, the provided allen wrench is fine but a driver (set at the lowest torque) with an allen bit was helpful, especially the the spoiler ends (then tighten to the required torque), rubbing alcohol or paint prep solvent.

Tape and well nut combo is effective. My guess is that the 991 spoiler with the kit on a 997.1 is sturdier than it would be on a 991 attached as the factory envisioned it.

Big improvement. Thanks, EMC2!

From this (which I had to duct tape to help keep on):

to this:

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: