Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Great car for the money. That said at the current miles some lucky new owner will be putting time and money into this car in the near futures. Wearable items are expense and time is close. With no notes on prior owner service history hard to know what has been done and how the car was cared for. At these miles this might be an issue for some.

In LA 200.00 an hour for Indy and more at dealer like 450.00 on sale oil changes this car will eat up someone budget. Or, like many drive it till it breaks, then fix it. Loose a motor or a cylinder and it becomes a roller.

A lot of car for the gambler or a man with a garage and skills to DIY.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:12 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Great car for the money. That said at the current miles some lucky new owner will be putting time and money into this car in the near futures. Wearable items are expense and time is close. With no notes on prior owner service history hard to know what has been done and how the car was cared for. At these miles this might be an issue for some.

In LA 200.00 an hour for Indy and more at dealer like 450.00 on sale oil changes this car will eat up someone budget. Or, like many drive it till it breaks, then fix it. Loose a motor or a cylinder and it becomes a roller.

A lot of car for the gambler or a man with a garage and skills to DIY.

Good luck.
Cat is 997.2 and it is well known across the board that it has very reliable engine so what do you mean by it is a gamble and need to replace wear and tear? Please look at my Ad. Car doesn’t need anything to be fixed nor it would need anything in near future. I think you need to distinguish between a 997.1 and 997.2. Two different engine and transmission.

Thanks for all feedbacks constructive or destructive. I will certainly take some of the suggestions on here and go from there. I also glad that I got some interested parties right now and hope it goes to one of them.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was one of those guy's

Originally Posted by Skwerl
You'd think so, but my observation from watching classifieds is that a lot of people won't even consider cars with over ~50k miles. Fewer miles still if they're Turbos or GTs. It seems like higher mile 997s of any variant need to be pretty aggressive on pricing to move.
I had three rules for buying cars -
1) Never buy a car through an auction.
2) Never buy a car site unseen
3) Never buy a car with more than 50,000 miles.

So last year I bought my 2005 997, which had 89,300 miles on it, from Bring a Trailer. I had not seen the car until the car was dropped off a week after I won it. I actually thought I would get outbid or not meet reserve but I won and became a Porsche owner. Call me nuts but the price was right and the car turned out to be great. I'm actually happy that it's not a garage queen - I feel like I don't have to baby the car.

My point is, if I'm buying a daily driver, the above rule stands. These cars are a bit different. Yes, the mileage here is high but since this may not be someones daily driver (It may be to some) the mileage may not be as much a factor. They may prefer the higher mileage over the IMS concerns.

Just my thoughts....good luck.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
Hey rennlisters,

I am looking for some feedback on why my car that I posted for sale few months ago not selling or getting serious inquires? Other than the high mileage, car is really clean with not a single problem and even got recntly a PPI report with flying colors. I understand that PDK is not the cup of tea for everyone. I bought the car A LOT more than what I am selling it for 1 year ago. I am not sure if I am overpricing the car? I am thinking next step to go get appraisal form Carmax and few dealers in area.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-pdk.html

Thanks in advance
Not trying to add insult to injury. Many people like Groovzilla have added wise opinions on the subject. I've bought and sold many sports car, but I'll have to say the Porsche crowd is the toughest biggest tire kickin' clowns on the planet. That being said, it all boils down to "supply and demand". I've learned this concept was no water cooler fantasy expression, it's a real factor in sales regardless if you're selling Tupperware or Porsche 911 cars. The 997.2, even with it's more reliable "IMS-less" engine, is long in the tooth. You add a non-manual and high miles to the equation and that equates for a tougher sale.

My best advice is to examine what these cars (with PDK and 100K+ miles) are selling for at auctions. Start with eBay and then barrett jackson, etc. Also examine what the average list price is on AutoTrade, CarGurus, and Cars.com.... and then, ask yourself, "What is my bottom dollar". Be realistic! Remember, it's not what you put into a car, but what you can get out of it, that matters. Porsche buyers aren't gonna care if you put new leather seat covers with colored deviated stitching or changed out the stock gear shift with a brushed metal version. But they will want to know if the car has been wrecked and how it was maintained. There is a penalty for automatics on the Porsches more so than high miles, but still, this car is sharp and would make for a great daily driver for someone that doesn't know how or care to know how to shift with a proper manual transmission.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I've bought and sold many sports car, but I'll have to say the Porsche crowd is the toughest biggest tire kickin' clowns on the planet.
Yeah, I feel sincerely bad for people trying to sell a modern 911 that isn't an unmodded 20k-mile granny-driven grocery getter. BaT is some especially brutal masochism.

I'll probably just go to CarMax when my time is up.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Never selling either of my 997s. The only buyer for mine will be the insurance company of whoever hits me, and they'll be settling with my insurance carrier for the agreed value I have on them. That will be a crappy day for a few of us.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

You've dropped your price but when I click on your ad, the main text at the top of your post still lists the car at $35K. Some people don't read everything in the thread and just do a quick scan and might pass based on that. Revise that price accordingly because it is misleading right now. Finally, the market is speaking, for better or worse. High miles + PDK eliminates a lot of buyers, at least those who frequent Rennlist. Try advertising on other channels like Carmax and Autotrader to broaden your audience. I agree with someone earlier who stated Porsche buyers are some of the most finicky buyers out there. Good luck.

Year: 2009
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 109100
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Black
VIN: WP0AA29989S706536
Price (no $ sign please): $35000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: PDK
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD
Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Trying to sell my X5. Clean, no accident, 90 thousand miles.
Lots of tire kickers, lots offering me 20% less than my asking.
New the truck was $85,000 and I'm asking $14k? I don't understand the problem.
I love driving it. Good brakes, good tires. I may put new snows on it and drive it this winter.
You have a lot of competition in this price point. And your buyer group are flaky and poorly financed.
Selling cars is a drag.
On the bright side? Your car looks lovely. Drive it and smile
Old 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I'm in the same boat. Trying to sell my X5. Clean, no accident, 90 thousand miles.
I love driving it. Good brakes, good tires. I may put new snows on it and drive it this winter.
You have a lot of competition in this price point. And your buyer group are flaky and poorly financed.
Selling cars is a drag.
Lot of truth here....
Old 10-19-2018, 06:51 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts

Selling cars is a drag.
Most people don't want the liability of a high mileage high priced sports car. At least the sports car is somewhat desirable - factor a much more common X5 which is ripe for repairs and you'll understand why.

This is a low options, standard color, PDK 911 with high miles. It either has to be very attractively priced where someone doesn't care about the lack of ammenities, or it will sit.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to cargurus OP's car is the lowest priced 997.2 on the market nation wide. Closest competition is an S that looks like its seen better days for $32k. Being the cheapest doorway into 997.2 ownership has its merits. If the OP's car is accurately depicted as in the pictures, he only needs more exposure. We have lots of members who have bought high mile 997's and enjoyed them over the years.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, where else have you advertised your car?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by captainbaker
According to cargurus OP's car is the lowest priced 997.2 on the market nation wide. Closest competition is an S that looks like its seen better days for $32k. Being the cheapest doorway into 997.2 ownership has its merits. If the OP's car is accurately depicted as in the pictures, he only needs more exposure. We have lots of members who have bought high mile 997's and enjoyed them over the years.
It is exactly like pictures and recent PPI confirms that. IT IS THE LOWEST PRICED 997.2 on the market of US if not even the world lol.

Problem is many potential buyers are still comparing it to KBB value. I don't get why we are using KBB values for Porsche 911. It is well understood here that KBB does not represent the true value of a 911 or any sports car in that manner as this car is not sold/bought as common as the other cars. Just as an example my car which is currently the lowest in the market and yet I get a lot of buyers telling me my car is worth $27K.

Originally Posted by swingwing
OP, where else have you advertised your car?
I have advertised it on here, cars.com and ebay.com (which got expired a month ago). I am currently talking to couple of potential buyers if it didn't work out, I will post it on more other well-known website.

It is just frustrating that I get very serious buyers and when I talk to them they seem really serious and ready to buy it then suddenly they lose interests in a day or two.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Selling cars is a drag.
I was thinking to buy X5 after I sell the Porsche (since I am selling it to buy SUV) but after I've seen how many X5 on market and how bad they depreciate, I changed my mind and will look only for something doesn't lose value as fast as X5. I really feel sad how these nice X5 are losing value just because people thing by owning them, they own troublesome car.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
It is exactly like pictures and recent PPI confirms that. IT IS THE LOWEST PRICED 997.2 on the market of US if not even the world lol.

Problem is many potential buyers are still comparing it to KBB value. I don't get why we are using KBB values for Porsche 911. It is well understood here that KBB does not represent the true value of a 911 or any sports car in that manner as this car is not sold/bought as common as the other cars. Just as an example my car which is currently the lowest in the market and yet I get a lot of buyers telling me my car is worth $27K.

I have advertised it on here, cars.com and ebay.com (which got expired a month ago). I am currently talking to couple of potential buyers if it didn't work out, I will post it on more other well-known website.

It is just frustrating that I get very serious buyers and when I talk to them they seem really serious and ready to buy it then suddenly they lose interests in a day or two.
I got into a semi heated debate with an internet buyer for my old Range Rover. He kept telling me it was worth X, but I knew I could sell it for Y. It sold the next day but I kept asking him for comps which he gladly provided in the hope I would lower my price. Problem is the comps were rigs with branded titles, rust less options on ugly colors. After a week I had enough and sent him a picture of the check dated the day it was put up for sale. Lots of guys are buyers for smaller car lots or flippers. They know its a good deal but want to wring out the last dollar.

Quick Reply: Why is my car not selling?