997 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 AM
airdevil
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 buying advice

Hi guys

I’m new to this site and would appreciate some help regarding buying a 997.

I’m considering buying a 997 4S tiptronic first registered in 2006 at an official Porsche dealership here in northern Italy. The car has only done 77000 km since new. I test drove it yesterday, and it feels and looks good.

Now, looking at the service book it had a Genuine Porsche service in 2008 at 25000km, and then the next in 2016 at 74000km, also at Porsche.. Nothing in between according to the service book, which I find odd.

If I buy the car, it will come with the Porsche approved warranty for 12 months, and go through their 111 point checklist, have new tires, brakes and drive belt etc. I saw the screenshot of the data pulled from the car, and it hasn’t over revved or had any limits exceeded.

Is this missing service gap of eight years something I should be concerned about, or would the Porsche dealership, and the Porsche approved seal be enough to ease my mind, that they wouldn’t touch a car that was not in good condition.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or help regarding this, thank you.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Hello to Como, Italy. Lovely place. I can only imagine nice mountain roads out there.
The most important maintenance item to check/replace: drive belt (easy $40), cooling flush; gear oil change, brake and clutch fluid change; plugs and coils ($200 + 2h labor + do cylinders check/boroscope ); water pump (as preventive: $350 + 2h labor); air filer (easy $30 or better BNC); check expansion tank; check RMS for seepage.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM
airdevil
6th Gear

Hi kisik

Thank you for answering, I thought there would be a lot more response to my question though. Anyway, I think I’ll ask the dealer to do a ppi, and check the items you have mentioned, along with whether the IMS has been changed ever. The roads here at waiting for a car like this. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Hi Airdevil - the answer to this question really depends on a number of things. For instance, how well do you trust the dealer? I bought my 997 from one of our 2 local Porsche dealers, without an independent ppi, but I know these folks very well through the local Porsche club, in which I am very active and so are they. Thus, I bought my car without warranty of any kind, and no independent ppi. Been driving for a year +, including several intense track events, and so far so good (if anything happens going forward, it will have nothing to do with not having had a ppi when I bought it).

Also, maybe the record gap has to do with the prior owner - he may have had the routine service done at an indy shop and/or he did it himself. I rarely use a dealer for anything, and I do keep detailed records. However, when selling a car to a dealer (via a trade), my experience is they do not want your service records. Those documents rarely get through when a dealer is involved.

I would take some comfort from their certification and warranty (again, some trust in the dealer is important). With the warranty, you'll be covered for anything big that might happen that otherwise having service records would have warned you about. Still, ask the dealer if they'll do a bore scope, compression test, and have the oil sent to Blackstone (or the European equivalent) for lab testing. They may say no - but tell them you'll pay - it shouldn't be much. Those 3 simple and fairly inexpensive tests will tell you just about everything you need to know.

good luck.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 AM
airdevil
6th Gear

Hi linderpat.

Thank you for your input, all good points and pro tips to remember. I have after much deliberation decided not to buy the car. I think buying from an official Porsche dealer, I would expect a full service history as I’m paying a premium over buying one privately. So the hunt for a good one continues....

Ciao from Como

Quick Reply: 997 buying advice