Sponsored by:

997.2 Steering. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 997.2 Steering. Is this normal?

Being that this is my first 911or P car for that matter, I'm not quite sure how much road feedback is normal . On some roads I get, what feels like, a slight shimmy on others sometimes more, yet on some roads it feels dead smooth. When its present, It almost feels like a wheel balance issue but it seems to occur across the speed range. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts

I also just got my first Porsche in Feb. I notice variations in feedback over certain surfaces. For example, I feel a hop on one stretch of freeway that still, even after 8 months, I still think, "is something wrong??" when I drive over it—but then I will see the car in front of me and the road surface reflecting the feel I am getting. Also, there is one stretch of freeway near my house where something must have gone slightly wrong when they put the rain grooves in the concrete because the lines are not straight which causes a "shimmy" or vibration only at certain speeds that is not replicable over other surfaces at the same speed consistently. Where I live in LA has so many different types of bad roads, I guess I just get used to how they feel in each different car but the 911 gives similar feedback to my old EVOs where you feel A LOT and the more you tighten down the suspension towards GT3 or beyond territory, the more you will feel the road feel.

If you feel something is not "normal" what I do is try to replicate it over other surfaces in other areas (i.e. same speed, same driving, different area). What I have found is my C2S is SUPER smooth when it is on a nice surface but the worse the surface is, the more feedback I get, which sometimes feels like something might be wrong. I just try to stay calm when that happens and do the test mentioned before worrying too much.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Xios
Being that this is my first 911or P car for that matter, I'm not quite sure how much road feedback is normal . On some roads I get, what feels like, a slight shimmy on others sometimes more, yet on some roads it feels dead smooth. When its present, It almost feels like a wheel balance issue but it seems to occur across the speed range. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Just go get a balance and alignment from a good speed shop. They get it and can give you good advice. "Start Fresh" with you new car. Most Porsche owners are clueless posers .... the car can be all out of wack. If you never had one, you don't know what is normal. These cars a very sensitive to alignments so you need a good speed shop.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

They should have good road feedback.

Bruce is right on the money though. You should get it to someone who knows how to align cars, and especially knows how to align Porsches.

My own 997.2 has a date with the alignment rack this week. Although I bought it used about 7 months ago with good tires on it, and the alignment seems OK, I had a run in with a puncture right near the sidewall. Ordered a couple of tires from Tirerack and had them put on, only to discover I have a bent rim! No shimmy in the wheel or anything, but one of my fronts has a quite visible bent inner rim. We decided that while the existing alignment wasn't wearing badly, they could do a better job.

Found a set of used, clean, Carrera S II wheels (same as what's on mine) as 3 of the 4 were curb-rashed to heck anyway. So swapping in a new set of no-rash and no-bend wheels and getting a full 4-wheel alignment done.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to throw my $0.02 in - check your tire pressure and make sure it's not off from side to side (from what I've read, tire pressure should be F32/R38, but I'm running 34 on the fronts - I wouldn't mind hearing peoples opinion on tire pressure without sparking a forum war). If it's slightly off, you can feel a difference.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:09 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtvr6
I'm going to throw my $0.02 in - check your tire pressure and make sure it's not off from side to side (from what I've read, tire pressure should be F32/R38, but I'm running 34 on the fronts - I wouldn't mind hearing peoples opinion on tire pressure without sparking a forum war). If it's slightly off, you can feel a difference.
I agree with the above. These cars, especially running Michelin tyres are sensitive to pressure. Just being out by 2 psi can make the car feel broken. Start with the cheap stuff and work backwards I'd say.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts

^^^ this is all good step by step advice above.

1. test a few different conditions to see if it is a consistent/replicable issue.
2. check tire pressures and I would add tq the wheels to spec.
3. if 1&2 above do not eliminate the issue, have the alignment checked and check the wheel balance.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Xios
Instructor

Thank you for all the responses. I'm thinking that it's road surface imperfections. It seems to occur more on concrete roads. I rarely get it on nice blacktop. I will be more aware of the pressure. I do keep the tpms screen up all the time but I guess I'll pick up a very accurate pressure gauge. Hopefully thats all it is. If not, any recommendations on good indy shops in the NYC area?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:42 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't recognize you were in NY - What Part of the city
Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM
midnight 911
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 997 with Pirelli P Zero Tyres. The car didn’t track well at all over roads with a slightly uneven surface. I chased alignment etc...
Since moving to Michelins (PS2 now PS4S) the problem went away.
What are you running?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by midnight 911
I bought my 997 with Pirelli P Zero Tyres. The car didn’t track well at all over roads with a slightly uneven surface. I chased alignment etc...
Since moving to Michelins (PS2 now PS4S) the problem went away.
What are you running?

Mine came with N1s in the front (don't see the pilot logo) and pilots in the back with10k on the clock. I put 4k on it in a few months. What was OE in 09?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 PM
midnight 911
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xios
Mine came with N1s in the front (don't see the pilot logo) and pilots in the back with10k on the clock. I put 4k on it in a few months. What was OE in 09?
Can you see a brand name? Post a pic of your front and rears.
It is possible you have a mis-matched set.
I believe there were various OE Tyres in 09 across different countries.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM
jrp911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having this same issue with a 2010 C2S I purchased back in April. The tire shop I've been using for years said my nearly new Bridgestone tires are cupped, and that's what's causing the issue. Since the tires have tons of tread, I didn't want to replace them before trying a few other less expensive things first (tires balanced, repair on a slightly bent front wheel, alignment), plus I deceased the tire pressures. I think lowering the tire pressures helped a bit, but I still have the problem. Like others have said, it comes and goes, mostly depending on speed and road surface. It's definitely worse on grooved freeway concrete, and pretty much disappears on newly paved freeways.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

OK, hate to ask a stupid question but I've seen this question posted before.

Are your tires matching from side to side and front to rear?
Are your tires aged out (5 years)?
After that, pressures then wheel balance, then alignment.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
OK, hate to ask a stupid question but I've seen this question posted before.

Are your tires matching from side to side and front to rear?
Are your tires aged out (5 years)?
After that, pressures then wheel balance, then alignment.
So, I think this is could be the issue, my date codes read left front 1908, right front 3709, right rear 3116, left rear 4015. I guess my front tires are original all are sport pilot. Should I change all four? It tracks dead straight,, do I need an alignment?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Steering. Is this normal?