Sponsored by:

Headlight Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:58 AM
HardParked
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Lenses

Is there a place where I can just order the lenses? I'd rather not have to order brand new headlights.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

dont believe so
Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

they are very expensive, I would like a source to buy as well as mine are pitting
Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Just polish them yourself. It's not that difficult -- requires lots of patience. Tons of videos out there. I've use 3M and Mother's kits - both work fine. Then put one of the protective films on them. The film deal was more work than the polishing!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:54 PM
zdeckich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe buy a cheap aftermarket headlight on ebay and throw them in the oven to loosen the glue and swap that new lense with your factory ones. If that makes sense. Thats what i did on my 11 CTS-V.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:03 PM
HardParked
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stairmasterman911
Just polish them yourself. It's not that difficult -- requires lots of patience. Tons of videos out there. I've use 3M and Mother's kits - both work fine. Then put one of the protective films on them. The film deal was more work than the polishing!
it’s on the inside of the lens as well. I’ve alreaady buffed off the outside.

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Maybe buy a cheap aftermarket headlight on ebay and throw them in the oven to loosen the glue and swap that new lense with your factory ones. If that makes sense. Thats what i did on my 11 CTS-V.
if only there was a cheap set on eBay.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by HardParked

it’s on the inside of the lens as well.
Look up methanol headlight cleaning. You take the headlights out and swish some 99.9% methanol inside and it clears out the haze.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by HardParked
it’s on the inside of the lens as well. I’ve alreaady buffed off the outside.

Why don't you bake and open them then.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-patience.html
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Look up methanol headlight cleaning. You take the headlights out and swish some 99.9% methanol inside and it clears out the haze.
Do NOT put anything in the headlight! Ask me from experience. The chrome finish on the interior plastic bits is extremely fragile and will flake.

The exterior is easy to polish with a 3M kit or one of the others. But take the headlight out to simplify and ensure the static buildup doesn't fry the front control module.

I would also recommend putting a clear bra film on the headlight. The UV coating that comes in the kits tends to wear off in 6-12 months.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Call up a dealership..... any car dealership, and ask them who they use. There is a cottage industry out there of folks doing this for dealerships... like leather repair.

I have a friend who used to work at a Chrysler assembly plant, now retired, and does this for car dealers in the area. His name is still on suppliers purchasing lists... so he orders all this cool commercial product that he said is better than the 3M stuff etc. So he did my wifes Lexus in my driveway.... I think he charges $150 per car, charges dealership less for bulk work, and me, I think he charged me $75 because we are Porsche friends... he owns two!

Very tedious process.... he starts with sandpaper and wet sands by hand moving down with less abrasive..... I don;t remember his whole process... but then he sprays stuff on.... does more wet sanding.... The stuff that came off the lenses was literally yellow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Headlight Lenses