Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
LN and FlatSix recommend Low T

These firms know a lot about our cars.

That's enough for most.
Agreed. My mechanic recommended it and gave a detailed explanation on the benefits. Installed one in my car.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I got my new engine replaced under CPO(from bore scoring on a .2 3.6) it came back with a LTT. I can tell a diff in warm up. It peaks at 160-180 and only gets to 200 if I push it after it gets to 160 and on really hot NC days.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM
jaymz9thousand
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had my 997 for 3 oil changes; first 2 with stock thermostat, last one with 160. I have sent all 3 to Blackstone no difference between them. I'll add that the only noticeable difference besides a slower warm up is a slightly cooler running (cruising) temp. I know the engineers will dispute this but it is definitely true. Perhaps the original thermostat was not accurate, who knows.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
Im curious those of you whom are running the 160 degree thermostat, I have noticed after 6 months driving with it, my mpg has went down slightly (maybe 1mpg) which I don't care for much. However what im curious is that with the delayed warm up, does this increase fuel dilution into the oil? I guess what im wondering is that if you do run the 160 thermostat, is it necessary to reduce the oil change interval and/or possibly increase the oil weight due to fuel dilution?

Thanks
There should not be any fuel dilution caused by running a low temperature thermostat. If you do have fuel dilution, I'd look at a ring seal or injector issue.

It's a misconception that the engine takes longer to warm up with a low temperature thermostat. In fact, it gets to it's target temp just as fast as a standard thermostat. The only difference, is once it is fully open (183F), it stays open. The factory thermostat starts to open at 185F and isn't fully open until 210F.

Another misconception is that the thermostat stays open, which it doesn't, after warm up. The factory thermostat will cycle open and closed as coolant temp bounces between 185F and 210F, so you end up with times where the coolant is looping internally in the engine, whereas the low temperature thermostat will typically stay open as the cooling system is incapable under most circumstances of keeping the coolant at 160F.

Quick Reply: Questions about 160 thermostat