Sponsored by:

Turning on a multifunction steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Turning on a multifunction steering wheel

I have a 2009 997.2 that did not have a multifunction steering wheel. I have one one installed now with the module and such installed. I contacted the dealer to get it programmed and this is what I am told:

“I apologize for the delayed response as I was doing some research on this matter. After speaking with the Shop lead and the Parts Manager, the steering wheels can be swapped as you have done but I am being told that if the vehicle wasn't built with this multi-function steering wheel, we are not able to turn on the functionality of the steering wheel. With that said, we don’t mind attempting to perform that task for you but we cant guarantee it will operate. I understand you are driving 2 hours to get to us but I cant be 100% certain we can perform this task. If we are able to for some reason make it function, the cost would be $199.00 plus tax. I look forward to hearing from you”.

All my research says the dealer is incorrect. Will somebody just chime in who has done this?

Thanks in advance. Oh yea this is North Houston Porsche.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

put on in my car and it works fine. They have never done one before. They have to actuate the multifunction capabilities with their computer, but i would find another dealer that knows what they are doing, and not pay over an hour service charge, not 199
Old 09-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Dripola
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

search the forums I’m pretty sure I’ve come across the exact process that needs to be applied to change the settings.

Edit, see below link:

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

Last edited by Dripola; 09-06-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:46 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by okbarnett
put on in my car and it works fine. They have never done one before. They have to actuate the multifunction capabilities with their computer, but i would find another dealer that knows what they are doing, and not pay over an hour service charge, not 199
What dealer did you take it to when this was done? I want to go back to them and say here call these places they know how to do it.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Tampa, but any tech should know how to do this kind of thing, I wouldnt try to persuade one to do something they dont understand. Call or go to some other dealer or a indy shop can do it if they have current computers
Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Tampa, but any tech should know how to do this kind of thing, I wouldnt try to persuade one to do something they dont understand. Call or go to some other dealer or a indy shop can do it if they have current computers
That is a good point. I am over 2 hours from the nearest dealer, but there are 2 more within 3 hours. I will call the other two in the morning.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

All you need to do is find an indy with a jailbroke PIWIS. It is very easy to do with PIWIS. The problem is that most dealership techs do not know the proper menu to go into. If I rember correctly, it had something to do with the steering wheel module or instrument panel. Literally, just clicking a box and sending the signal to the car. I did the 991.2 MF steering wheel swap into my 997.2 that did NOT have multi-function before I did the GPS adapter thing. Same functionality as the 997 MF wheel but WAY better looking.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this something that can be programmed with a Durametric?
My wheel works great, but I never had the sport and sport + lights in the wheel activated.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by caitov
Is this something that can be programmed with a Durametric?
My wheel works great, but I never had the sport and sport + lights in the wheel activated.
Unfortunately it must be turned on by the PIWIS at the dealer. 5 minutes job that will cost me $200. Oh well. Not sure what you mean by sport and sport + lights. The lights on your multifunction wheel should all Light up.

Quick Reply: Turning on a multifunction steering wheel