Sponsored by:

Quirky observations about your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Another one: If you change the voice of the Nav system to the lady with the English accent, she refuses to say "street", but instead substitutes the word "alley", even if the map clearly says "street".
An update to this one...the british-accented nav voice also substitutes "alley" for "road". What is even more surprising is that the word "road" is recognized by the system. She will say "Follow the road", but she won't say "road" when it's a part of the road name. She only says "alley", even though the word "alley" is nowhere on the map.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

When you use the dash ***** to zoom in or out on the nav system, they operate backwards. Every system I've owned with a **** for zoom would zoom in with clockwise rotation and out with counterclockwise. The Porsche way is counterintuitive, as a screw moves in with clockwise rotation (righty tighty, lefty loosey).

This is also the case when you scroll through lists on the PCM screen. The direction of **** rotation used to scroll is opposite of every other system I've used.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

When you use the dash ***** to zoom in or out on the nav system, they operate backwards. Every system I've owned with a **** for zoom would zoom in with clockwise rotation and out with counterclockwise. The Porsche way is counterintuitive, as a screw moves in with clockwise rotation (righty tighty, lefty loosey).

This is also the case when you scroll through lists on the PCM screen. The direction of **** rotation used to scroll is opposite of every other system I've used.
That's funny. I always struggle with putting in an address etc. when getting from the Merc into the Porsche. I always turn the dial the "wrong" way first.
Now I know why, never though about it
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

No matter how "remote" and "deserted" your parking spot is at the hardware store, some clown will park right next to you in a $100 ****box.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Funny thing - when people go for a ride in a Porsche 911, especially the old air-cooled generation, they expect the stereo and air conditioning to be on par with the most current cars. You hear comments like, "Doesn't it get any colder?" or, "The stereo sounds thin, can you add some bass to it?"
I always roll my eyes and explain the Porsche experience transcends fancy booming stereo systems and super cold AC. It's all about the driving experience. Who cares if the stereo doesn't rattle your teeth!?
Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Funny thing - when people go for a ride in a Porsche 911, especially the old air-cooled generation, they expect the stereo and air conditioning to be on par with the most current cars. You hear comments like, "Doesn't it get any colder?" or, "The stereo sounds thin, can you add some bass to it?"
I always roll my eyes and explain the Porsche experience transcends fancy booming stereo systems and super cold AC. It's all about the driving experience. Who cares if the stereo doesn't rattle your teeth!?
Let them drive it. They'll forget about the AC and stereo.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:49 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Not an observation about my Porsche, but watching Homeland yesterday I saw this beauty parked on-screen.
With weird wheels, and its spoiler up

Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Another one: If you change the voice of the Nav system to the lady with the English accent, she refuses to say "street", but instead substitutes the word "alley", even if the map clearly says "street".
She might be mixing in some French and saying "Allez!"
Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLU997
No matter how "remote" and "deserted" your parking spot is at the hardware store, some clown will park right next to you in a $100 ****box.
That's why god invented the Prius.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I do feel that in LA, people hate on 911s in traffic more than other cars I have owned. I was warned to drive extra polite in any 911 when I got mine but I notice a lot more of the already over the top uncooperative nature of LA drivers seems elevated moving from an Audi Avant into a 911. Some of this I attribute to people staring at the car, at least when I rode in a 991 GT3RS and other GT3s specifically. My friend driving the GT3RS said, people target fixate on the car all the time and it makes it dangerous to drive. I definitely had a dude in a Lexus RX (usually a bad sign in itself) doing this to my C2S yesterday. He kept looking over and swerving into my lane while he was looking, he'd hit the reflectors and then jerk back. If I didn't see him looking at me all weird, I would have assumed he was trying to get over. We were stuck in traffic next to each other with no escape for an hour from Fairfax and Beverly to Vermont and Beverly. FML.

...but I have noticed more people doing ROCKET BLAST hole shot stoplight starts in minivans and other more "responsible vehicles," as well as people blasting up to not let me over when I am merging, or getting on the freeway (BTW LA people as a whole have very strong merging issues). I have lived in LA so long now, I just DGAF about LA people's wildly bad driving and insane die-trying level of uncooperativeness, to the point where unless someone hits me, I am just chilling in traffic (honestly listening to Trojan Roots and Dub mixes to stay calm) because it is impossible to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time in LA. Before anyone asks why I live in LA still, and other people that live in LA will back me up, I LOVE/HATE LA. It is the BEST/WORST place to live. The other reason is my wife and her whole family are from here.

Last, is the Mustang a natural enemy of the 911? I have never had more of one model harass me until I got my 911 in February. I have had my car almost 8 months now, and very regularly ONE type of car harasses me on the streets and on the freeway when I am just cruising minding my own business. If I had to pick one car that continually does asshat stuff around me, trying to race me, or just trying to get me to simply recognize their lame sad existence before they skid off into a crowd of people, it has to be Crustangs. ...just a question.
Your issue is that you are in LA. People hate their lives so much because they think they are living the "good" life and act out when driving as their only outlet. Take the same person and put them in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, or Arizona and you instantly see less asshatness.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
She might be mixing in some French and saying "Allez!"

Better than mixing in some German, which would sound less melodious:
"Jetzt fahr' doch!"
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not my Porka, but I've always found it funny that my car has also been available as hatchback (in 996 and 997 guise).

Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
Just remembered another one: anyone ever noticed how an i3 looks like it is giving birth to a 996?

Originally Posted by SToronto
Hahahah...i3 has bloodshot eyes too!
Too funny this, can't unsee the birthing haha.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won’t happen in Georgia.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
My previous car was a BMW E63, and with the trunk open I always thought it looked surprisingly similar to the rear of a 911:

What has been seen cannot be unseen*

Anyone else had some weird/funny/bizarre observations about their Porsche they care to share?*
I overlooked the above photo several times before I realized it wasn't a 911.

Quick Reply: Quirky observations about your Porsche