Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great discussion folks - thanks for all who responded. My takeaway is I should probably go with ceramic if I want less squeal. I don't really care about the dust because I am a habitual washer.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
he has OEM PCCB. bet he doubles that number if the car is not tracked.

Even I am amazed at the little wear due to the PCCBs. If you dislike dust, and having to replace pads and rotors every 40-50,000 miles, consider the PCCBs. I think the order price is up to about $9,000 now. For those lazy about cleaning brake dust, etc., they are a worthwhile option.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

My car had a brand new set of front OEM (Jurid) pads and cross drilled rotors installed in March. The front wheels were constantly coated in reddish brown dust. They'd already be dusty by the time I drove 5 minutes from the neighborhood car wash. They were so bad that the rear rock guards would have dust on them from the front pads after a couple drives. I had never seen anything generate brake dust like this before.

When this thread was fresh, a front set of Hawk performance ceramics had just been delivered, but I hadn't been able to install them yet. I had done my research and that was probably the best option for my needs from what I'd read, though they were a bit hard to find. I'm not taking the car to the track and don't want too aggressive an initial bite on snow. I installed and bedded them over the weekend and my basalt black wheels were thoroughly cleaned.

I was a bit concerned that the lighter colored dust from the ceramic pads would be a problem on my black(ish) wheels. After a mountain drive up US 285, down foxton road and back up CO126 to return on US 285 I must say I am extremely impressed by the improvement. The hawk pads are so much cleaner with no discernible degradation to braking performance or noise. Some say they generate about 1/3 the dust of OEM. So far I'd say more like 1/8th. When the rear pads and rotors need replacement I'll definitely go Hawk PC on the rear. To those who recommended them before, thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

So I am planning on Hawk Ceramics when I need pads. At 80,000 I am still on the original pads and rotors. I will replace the pads and the rotors at that time. What else should I replace while I am at it?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
So I am planning on Hawk Ceramics when I need pads. At 80,000 I am still on the original pads and rotors. I will replace the pads and the rotors at that time. What else should I replace while I am at it?
It is recommended that the caliper bolts be replaced as well.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads